Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WOW...this is a complete shocker...  (Read 19773 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: WOW...this is a complete shocker...
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
Not sure why I'm even bothering because this yet is another situation where there is absolutely no reason to believe there is interest from either side, but I'd take both of them no question asked.  I'm pretty confident Joey and the Hausers know that there will be a scholarship available for Joey to take at any time he would like to.  If you can add 2 big time players, you do it.

Why would you add them if you weren't going to play them?  If you're going to play them then why would Joey come?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:12:21 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
My focus has now switched from Egor, to Dedric...Bring it home Stan!

L. Jason Smith‏Verified account
@JasonSmith929 

Letter I just read over the air from Memphis forwards KJ and Dedric Lawson. Both will transfer. Absolute bombshell.

Now if we can just get your attention to shift from Scoop to Dodd's board.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:39 PM »
Why would you add them if you weren't going to play them?  If you're going to play them then why would Joey come?

Healthy competition is a good thing. Making dudes earn their PT is a good thing. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
Healthy competition is a good thing. Making dudes earn their PT is a good thing.

At some point, I think we as fans have to stop salivating over every shiny new transfer and give a thought to team chemistry.  When Joey was a frosh, you'd have Heldt, Froling, Sam, Eke, John, and Cain, and the two Lawson guys would be coming off their transfer year.  Would Joey really want to be the 9th front court guy as a frosh?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
At some point, I think we as fans have to stop salivating over every shiny new transfer and give a thought to team chemistry.  When Joey was a frosh, you'd have Heldt, Froling, Sam, Eke, John, and Cain, and the two Lawson guys would be coming off their transfer year.  Would Joey really want to be the 9th front court guy as a frosh?

I agree that we as fans need to stop salivating at every kid who announces he is transferring, unless there is some reason to think the transfer would consider MU.

Why bring them to MU? They're both listed as guard-forwards. I haven't seen them play much, if at all, but seems like you could have at least 2 of them and Joey on the court together at all times, and maybe even 3 if you want to throw Joey in at the 5 in a very small lineup.

The more talent you can bring in the better. I don't think UNC sits around thinking, "Well we have Meeks and Hicks already, so we don't need Tony Bradley."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 07:29:40 PM »

This is all so much speculation (not from you, 4ever, but from the board overall) it's silly for this dialogue to continue, but ... OK ... sure, I'll play.

Don't Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and Carolina kids face this kind of situation all the time? The best, most confident ones do not choose the path of least resistance. 

Then again, he probably would be handed a spot by Bucky, and they supposedly our main competition for him, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
This is all so much speculation (not from you, 4ever, but from the board overall) it's silly for this dialogue to continue, but ... OK ... sure, I'll play.

Don't Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and Carolina kids face this kind of situation all the time? The best, most confident ones do not choose the path of least resistance. 

Then again, he probably would be handed a spot by Bucky, and they supposedly our main competition for him, right?

My take:

1.  We're not Kentucky, Duke, Kansas or Carolina, yet.

2.  Kentucky, Duke, Kansas and Carolina don't often face this situation because of the number of one and dones they get.

3.   Fighting for playing time is one thing, fighting for scrimmage time is something totally different. Six guys vying for three frontcourt positions is competition, nine is a poisonous atmosphere.

I guess you dump guys if you have too to make everything work out.  It worked with Wally, right?

Granted, I'm arguing one extreme, here.  But, it does bother me a little bit when some posters can't hear of a new transfer coming on the market, without immediately saying; "I want, I want".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:42:11 PM by 4everCrean »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 07:40:45 PM »
Don't want these guys if they eat up two years of scholarships for one year of play.

Give me a grad transfer and Joey.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:13 PM »

Or you can stop getting butt hurt about fans rosterbating in the offseason. Marquette has two open scholarships and will likely fill them. In the meantime speculation is totally warranted. What the hell else is there to discuss regarding Marquette basketball?

Edit: this isn't totally in reference to the Memphis guys. We're not getting them. But a grad transfer or two will happen, and perhaps a traditional transfer as well.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:44:32 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 07:42:35 PM »
Don't want these guys if they eat up two years of scholarships for one year of play.

Now that sounds downright sensible.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Or you can stop getting butt hurt about fans rosterbating in the offseason. Marquette has two open scholarships and will likely fill them. In the meantime speculation is totally warranted. What the hell else is there to discuss regarding Marquette basketball?

Expressing an opinion contray to yours qualifies as butt hurt?  I can argue the other side without making it personal, can you?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »
Expressing an opinion contray to yours qualifies as butt hurt?  I can argue the other side without making it personal, can you?

Hardly making it personal. You say the same sh** every time someone mentions a transfer because god forbid what will our current players think!? It's the off-season and Marquette has scholarships to give. speculation is warranted.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
The great thing about rosterbating is you can fantasize about any recruits or transfers you want.

So go ahead and get all excited about the Lawson twins. But I bet they go elsewhere.  And Wojo might not even inquire.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Now if we can just get your attention to shift from Scoop to Dodd's board.

Wow really?? That's kind of a Dbag thing to say over posting a tweet isn't it??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 08:41:42 PM »
I agree that we as fans need to stop salivating at every kid who announces he is transferring, unless there is some reason to think the transfer would consider MU.

Why bring them to MU? They're both listed as guard-forwards. I haven't seen them play much, if at all, but seems like you could have at least 2 of them and Joey on the court together at all times, and maybe even 3 if you want to throw Joey in at the 5 in a very small lineup.

The more talent you can bring in the better.
I don't think UNC sits around thinking, "Well we have Meeks and Hicks already, so we don't need Tony Bradley."

Thank you, this is what i always say...you get as much talent as you possibly can, and worry about the fallout from there. If a lesser player transfers because you brought in someone better...oh well. It's about getting as much talent as you possibly can...that's what goives you the best chance of winning and winning big.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »

Agree.  Right on.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »
The great thing about rosterbating is you can fantasize about any recruits or transfers you want.

So go ahead and get all excited about the Lawson twins. But I bet they go elsewhere.  And Wojo might not even inquire.
I bet he won't, rather have wojo and stan go after Egor

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2017, 10:30:10 PM »

Right on as usual my man.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »
Wow really?? That's kind of a Dbag thing to say over posting a tweet isn't it??

I laughed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2017, 12:04:50 AM »

Now that sounds downright sensible.

Agree.  Right on.

Right on as usual my man.

Again, there is no chance they end up at MU so it's all a waste of time, but real actually has it wrong.  You'd be tying up 3 years of scholarships for 2 years of play from Dedric (which, in my opinion, is totally worth it.  The guy averaged 19 points and 10 rebounds a game.  You don't see high major players putting up those numbers very often) and 4 years of scholarships for 3 years of KJ (who averaged a pretty dang solid 12 and 8 himself).

Not happening, but if it could you would be absolutely crazy not to take them in the blink of an eye.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:43 AM »
Hardly making it personal. You say the same sh** every time someone mentions a transfer because god forbid what will our current players think!? It's the off-season and Marquette has scholarships to give. speculation is warranted.

5J. You know I love transfers. Hell, I dedicate a discordant amount of my personal time in April to tracking every transfer in the off-season. But keeping your current team chemistry in mind is an important part of roster building. Its not all about getting talent, it about getting talent that works together. Its also not just about next year. Gotta make sure we are building a sustrightble program. Too many short term players like transfer, grad transfers, and jucos is why we fell apart in Buzz' last year. He was a wizard for the first 5 at filling the holes with the right pieces. His coaching acumen allowed him to turn teams with huge flaws into winners. But too many missteps, and it all comes down like a house of cards. Buzz didn't have the foundation of four year players to fall back on when too many surprises like McKay and Blue leaving came up at once.

I personally have no interest in the Lawson brothers for Marquette. If we could get one, absolutely. But both is too much. That would give us a junior class of D Lawson, K Lawson, Froling, Howard, Hauser, Anim. Half your players in one class is dangerous. It also gives you Heldt, Hauser, Froling, Cain, John, Eke, D Lawson, K Lawson, Bailey and theoretically J Hauser at the 3-5 positions. 10 out of 13 players. I'd be nervous with only three or four players (depending on if a guard or forward transferred to make room for Joey) who could play the 1-2....especially with only one who I'd trust at the point as of now. I see likely transfers and negative recruiting implications. Not worth two years (assuming they don't grad transfer or Dedric goes pro, both of which seem within the realm of possibility) of admittedly talented players (they are currently my #1 and #3 most talented traditional transfer) not at a position of need IMHO.

Bringing up team chemistry and make up is a valid point when considering transfers.

It's the offseason and we are fans. We salivate over transfers because we want the best and most talented players to wear blue and gold. We should give thought to team chemistry, but the reality is, we don't know how it will or won't be impacted. We don't know these kids. Some might get pissed and say I'm out of here. Others might be salivating along with us because they see a teammate who can help them win a championship. What we do know, is the numbers they put up and how that could potentially translate to more Ws for Marquette.

Trying to stop fans from getting excited about possible transfers is like me trying to get Sand Knit to get over his hate boner for Luke, or Lenny trying to stop Chicos after he put him on ignore, or anyone trying to stop Rocket Surgeon from defending Chicos against Lenny, or trying to stop Willie from tweeting as Mazos Burger (we all know its you!), or trying to stop Wades from reminding us that the most important game of the season is the next one, or trying to stop Jay Bee from mispelling matter as matta and bowl as bowel....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:34:08 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »
There is a very real possibility that when Joey is a frosh he will not be at MU. You do not turn down a good player for a player you might not get.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
There is a very real possibility that when Joey is a frosh he will not be at MU. You do not turn down a good player for a player you might not get.

Sure, it's a possibility. But even without Hauser, we are already looking at Heldt, Froling, John, Eke, Cain, Bailey, and Sam that are in the 6'7" to 6'11" range. Now some of that will go to the wing minutes, but that's a lot of able bodies to play the 4/5 positions. It's not like we're suffering for size. I can see fitting Joey in with those 7 players, but even taking one more big body that won't be eligible until 2018 seems like really stacking the deck in a way to encourage transfers. You can probably only play 3 of those guys together at a time, the math of 8 going into 3 for significant minutes would be quite the juggling act, much less adding a ninth.

If we have any need in the transfer market, I don't think it's another big. (And as a Marquette fan, I truly can't believe I'm saying that).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
UNC had no problems finding minutes for guys that were 6'7", 6'10", 6'9", 6'10", 6'8", and 6'8".  If a couple players' feelings were hurt because they didn't get the minutes they wanted, I think the championship trophy they just brought back from Phoenix probably outweighs those hurt feelings to Roy, the fans, and the school.  On a 13 man roster, there are going to be 5ish players who just aren't going to get a ton of minutes.  Whether they're 6' guards or 7' big men, that's just how it works.  You can't find minutes for all 13 players.

Bring in the talent.  The best players will earn their minutes, and those who fall behind can either hit the gym and get better, be happy to be on a great team but not much of a contributor, or look for other options.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
We should be looking at bringing in the best talent available, period.  However, we need to stay clear of the crazy Dads that think they are the John Woodens of assistant coaching because of their kids.  Don't need the drama, don't need the distraction.