[Today at 09:23:57 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: JJJ, Luke, KR post grad playing opportunity thread  (Read 54887 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: JJJ, Luke, KR post grad playing opportunity thread
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2017, 12:13:36 AM »
Matt played half as many minutes as Luke for a reason. Actually, a whole lot of reasons.

For all of Luke's limitations, he was simply the more productive player last season — pretty much any way you look at it. He wasn't just an effective scorer. Luke also had the higher offensive and defensive rebounding percentage, assist rate, block rate and steal percentage. Oh yeah, and the lower turnover rate.

Matt showed clear improvement at the end of conference play. In a 6-game stretch from February 18th to March 9th, he averaged 21.8 mpg, 5.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg and 1.0 bpg — while shooting 13-16 (81.3%) and turning the ball over a grand total of twice.

That's pretty good. But it's also only 6 games out of a 32-game schedule. The other 26 games he averaged just 11.0 mpg, 1.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg and 0.3 bpg. Not much of a contribution. And not good enough for next year.

We don't need Matt to be an offensive force to win. Rebounding and tough defense will go a long way. I think he'll come into this season with more confidence and a higher skill level. But he still has to prove Wojo can count on him for significant minutes, game after game.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:23:57 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
Matt is just not coordinated enough to not get into foul trouble, I see maybe no more than 15 to 20 minutes a game at best.  John will play the other 20 until
Harry shows his face on the court.  At that time, they can play big a little.   I see Eke getting a few minutes during that time as well.  It will be very interesting the
following year on playing time upfront.  Add Morrow and hopefully someone else.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
Matt played half as many minutes as Luke for a reason. Actually, a whole lot of reasons.

For all of Luke's limitations, he was simply the more productive player last season — pretty much any way you look at it. He wasn't just an effective scorer. Luke also had the higher offensive and defensive rebounding percentage, assist rate, block rate and steal percentage. Oh yeah, and the lower turnover rate.

Matt showed clear improvement at the end of conference play. In a 6-game stretch from February 18th to March 9th, he averaged 21.8 mpg, 5.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg and 1.0 bpg — while shooting 13-16 (81.3%) and turning the ball over a grand total of twice.

That's pretty good. But it's also only 6 games out of a 32-game schedule. The other 26 games he averaged just 11.0 mpg, 1.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg and 0.3 bpg. Not much of a contribution. And not good enough for next year.

We don't need Matt to be an offensive force to win. Rebounding and tough defense will go a long way. I think he'll come into this season with more confidence and a higher skill level. But he still has to prove Wojo can count on him for significant minutes, game after game.

Could you give me the stat lines from when Matt took the starting spot? Cause that's truly when the two of them started playing almost equal amounts.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2017, 01:23:14 PM »
Could you give me the stat lines from when Matt took the starting spot? Cause that's truly when the two of them started playing almost equal amounts.

Matt stepped into the starting lineup for the February 18th game against Xavier. That was the first game of the 6-game stretch mentioned above.

Marquette went 4-2 in those games — including wins against Xavier (twice) and Creighton. After that, Matt also started against South Carolina in the NCAA tournament. He was more-or-less invisible: 14 minutes, 0 points, 3 rebounds and 2 turnovers.

Luke was the starter for MU's wins against 4 NCAA tournament teams: Vanderbilt, Seton Hall, Creighton and Villanova.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
John will play the other 20 until Harry shows his face on the court.  At that time, they can play big a little.   I see Eke getting a few minutes during that time as well.

Expecting Theo to play 20 minutes a game feels like asking a lot of a freshman big. Back on signing day last November, Wojo said:

"Theo has a college-ready body now...I think he can defend and rebound at the college level right now and his offense will continue to catch up with him."

Does that mean he's ready to play 10 mpg, 15 mpg or 20+ mpg? The strength is there. But I have no idea where Theo stands skill-wise compared to Matt. Wojo's comments about Eke at the time were even more intriguing:

"When you talk about a guy with a motor who is 6-10, long arms and unbelievable agility and mobility, that generally is a recipe for success...He's got better feet than anyone in our program right now...I think his defense and his rebounding and his ability to protect the rim is in front of his offense."

The "better feet" comment stands out to me, considering the importance of hedging and rotating in Wojo's defense. Matt has the size, strength and work ethic — but he's not exactly what I'd call quick, mobile or a great athlete.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2016/11/09/marquette-adds-size-signing-three-recruits/93495022/

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »
I'd be reserved in expectations of all newbies except Froling. Cain could shock & awe
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Sam spends more time at the 5 during first semester, in a small lineup focused on driving and perimeter shooting.

At 6-7/225, he's got the size to match Lazar. Sam was the best defensive rebounder on the team last year. And he's a tough matchup for opposing bigs, who generally don't like defending outside the paint.

I'd be interested to see Markus Howard, Andrew Rowsey, Haanif Cheatham, Sacar Anim (or Jamal Cain) and Sam on the court together. Maybe it would only be for 4-5 minutes a game. Depends on how quickly the young bigs develop.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Sam spends more time at the 5 during first semester, in a small lineup focused on driving and perimeter shooting.

At 6-7/225, he's got the size to match Lazar. Sam was the best defensive rebounder on the team last year. And he's a tough matchup for opposing bigs, who generally don't like defending outside the paint.

I'd be interested to see Markus Howard, Andrew Rowsey, Haanif Cheatham, Sacar Anim (or Jamal Cain) and Sam on the court together. Maybe it would only be for 4-5 minutes a game. Depends on how quickly the young bigs develop.

I predict that Sam plays the five for exactly zero minutes next year.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
I predict that Sam plays the five for exactly zero minutes next year.

Interesting cause he played it a decent amount last year when we went small.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »
Interesting cause he played it a decent amount last year when we went small.

I know.  We didn't go small very often and we didn't have anyone like Frolling. 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2017, 07:17:05 PM »

It's not a prediction, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it — as I said, during first semester:

1) Luke's graduation opens 25 minutes a game;
2) Harry Froling won't be eligible until second semester;
3) Matt hasn't proven he can play 20+ minutes on a regular basis;
4) Our other front court options (Theo and Ike) are unproven freshmen; and
5) Sam already has experience playing the 5 spot (albeit in limited minutes) last season.

It's true that Henry was an immediate stud from Day 1. But that's exceedingly rare for first-year big men. Luke, a consensus Top 100 recruit and the reigning Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin, averaged just 10 mpg, 2.8 mpg and 2.1 rpg as a freshman at Indiana. Other recent examples include:

Matt Heldt 5.1 mpg, 0.7 ppg, 0.9 rpg
Steve Taylor, Jr 8.6 mpg, 3.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg
Davante Gardner 9.0 mpg, 4.6 ppg, 2.2 rpg
Chris Otule 6.7 mpg, 1.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg
Ousmane Barro 10.0 mpg, 2.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg
Dwight Burke 5.3 mpg, 0.8 ppg, 0.8 rpg
Trevor Mbakwe 9.2 mpg, 1.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg
Patrick Hazel 3.4 mpg, 0.5 ppg, 1.1 rpg
Chris Grimm 4.9 mpg, 0.9 ppg, 0.5 rpg
Terry Sanders 10.9 mpg, 2.3 ppg, 1.9 rpg

Apart from Henry, the best examples of Marquette big men — and I'm using that term in the broadest possible sense — contributing as freshmen in the past decade are 6-4 Deonte Burton (12.6 mpg), 6-6 Lazar Hayward (16.3 mpg) and 6-6 Jeronne Maymon (16.3 mpg).

You have to go all the way back to 6-8 Ryan Amaroso (15.2 mpg in 2004-05) or 6-10 Scott Merritt (20 mpg in 2001-02) to find traditional big men who played significant minutes as freshmen.

My hope is that Matt is good for 20+ minutes to open the non-conference schedule, and that Theo and/or Ike are good enough out of the gate to spell him as needed. I'd say odds that either Theo or Ike averages 10+ mpg are maybe 50-50. We'll have a much clearer picture once the season starts.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »

U realizehe will miss a dozen or so games early in the season?
Sticking with the no minutes?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »
U realizehe will miss a dozen or so games early in the season?
Sticking with the no minutes?

Sam will get a handful of minutes at the 5 during the first dozen games of the season.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »

Sam will get a handful of minutes at the 5 during the first dozen games of the season.

That is different than your original statement
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2017, 07:59:20 AM »
That is different than your original statement

Gee.  Ya think???

I had forgotten that Frolling wasn't eligible until later.  And really wasn't considering non-conference anyway.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2017, 08:35:36 AM »

Gee.  Ya think???

Yes, that is why I said it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »

Or still maybe not.  My sincere hope is that Matty and the two Frosh take essentially all of them.  It'll be good for their development long term.  Hard minutes in non-con can lead to some productive minutes come the new year.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
Luke interview but it's in Spanish so wait till we are ahead by 30 pts before reading!
https://twitter.com/grancanariacb/status/885176399828578305
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
Luke interview but it's in Spanish so wait till we are ahead by 30 pts before reading!
https://twitter.com/grancanariacb/status/885176399828578305

Si

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/885174465197469696

Jamil most efficient summer league offensive player right now.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
Nice intro video of Luke from new team. They wrote prestigious University of Marquette  :-\

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
Nice intro video of Luke from new team. They wrote prestigious University of Marquette  :-\

No te preocupes.
Sólo es una problema del translación.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »
That's cool.  My two takeaways: 1) The lovely ladies of Canary can keep their hands off. 2) He still can't guard the pick/roll.

Good luck Luke!  And Newsy has to do all our translating going forward.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »
That's cool.  My two takeaways: 1) The lovely ladies of Canary can keep their hands off. 2) He still can't guard the pick/roll.

Good luck Luke!  And Newsy has to do all our translating going forward.
Count on it! And by the way Sand no matta  ;)

feedback