[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Buzz Hates Money: A Revisionist History  (Read 23056 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Buzz Hates Money: A Revisionist History
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 08:15:36 AM »

Buzz went out of his way to denigrate our league and then stole from the school that put a paycheck in his pocket for 7 years. That's classless.

And he tried to steal even more, but he got caught.  If you recall, MU caught his assistants trying to walk out of The Al with all of the recruiting binders, which were clearly Marquette property.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:12 AM »
This is correct, though to be fair it feels like Baylor's kind of getting away with it so maybe we're wrong. Either for the guy that preaches about revealing character, he doesn't particularly like when his is revealed

Well they did fire the football coach. But comparing the situation at Baylor to the one  at marquette is like comparing a napping house cat to a rabid puma.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2017, 08:20:22 AM »
I'm going to start getting crazy girlfriend all over Wojo when Elliot commits.

as long as you are in the upper right quadrant of the scale

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
Well they did fire the football coach. But comparing the situation at Baylor to the one  at marquette is like comparing a napping house cat to a rabid puma.

Not comparing it in orders of magnitude, but quite frankly there is an argument to be made that Buzz should have been fired if we are looking at this ethically and/or morally. Yes Baylor is much worse in terms of scope and impacted humans, but the core "violation" is no different than at MU. Buzz gets to skate because he's a PR machine and MUAD had terrible reporting policies for crimes of that nature (both internally and to the police).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
I'll never forget the Paint Touches article that mentioned how Bazz would send 30 handwritten notes every month to random people that he's met in his life.

I coupled that fact with the DJ Newbill story and thought to myself: "this lettterwriting isn't altruism, it's strategy.  Marketing.  He's not Father Naus, he's Father Networking."

But then there were stories that he would show up at a Special Olympics event and ask the local media not to report that he was there.  Stories like that made me think "well, maybe Bazz does have a soft spot."

Now, given full hindsight, I strongly believe that he went undercover to those events because he knew that it would eventually be reported.  He probably knew that it would even be reported that he asked not to have it revealed that he was there.  And even if his appearance at Special Olympics events never gets reported, he looks like a saint to journalists.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
This is correct, though to be fair it feels like Baylor's kind of getting away with it so maybe we're wrong. Either for the guy that preaches about revealing character, he doesn't particularly like when his is revealed

Art Briles was fired though as was their President.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
Art Briles was fired though as was their President.

Eventually, yes. Given the size of the problem, feels like skating to me....plus there was zero impact that I recall from the NCAA on the Baylor program.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
Lots of butt hurt, cynicism and even outright hate by people on this board who started their lives miles ahead of Buzz and are now are far, far behind. If "the hillbilly" gave you guys a moment's thought he'd have a good laugh. He doesn't.

Lenny, your comment says it all.  I never saw the anger coming from envy and jealousy, it usually comes from fear.   Thank you for bringing closure for me on this subject.  Simply outstanding insight, all the rationalizations and evidence notwithstanding, the underlieing driver is envy and jealously.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
Lenny, your comment says it all.  I never saw the anger coming from envy and jealousy, it usually comes from fear.   Thank you for bringing closure for me on this subject.  Simply outstanding insight, all the rationalizations and evidence notwithstanding, the underlieing driver is envy and jealously.

For a guy who tries to sound educated, you certainly go a long way to prevent yourself from learning things.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
For a guy who tries to sound educated, you certainly go a long way to prevent yourself from learning things.

A live look into Vogue's Italian bunker:

JD

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »

+1

Reminds me of Crean's incoherent statement to MU fans.  "Beat Pittsburgh"

“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
A live look into Vogue's Italian bunker:

+1,000
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »
Buzz loves money.    Coming from where he did, he found a vehicle to get paid.    His creation story that we all heard and know by heart is true, but also provides an underlying truth.    He is ruthlessly determined to get ahead.    He led the life of a coaching nomad for a lot of years before becoming the head coach at Marquette.    Doubtlessly, this reinforced the notion to get paid while you can, that no job is forever, and that you are always looking for the next job.    He recruited the same way at MU.   Relentlessly.    Plan A fell through, plan B fell into place, frequently one that no one saw coming from the JUCO ranks.    But always looking for the next thing, because the one you are currently counting on isn't permanent.
    As soon as he felt threatened, he left.   And he really didn't care how he left, because he already had the next thing lined up with protections and guarantees in place.   And lower expectations.   I think he will eventually leave VTech.    At some point, he is going to have enough success and money that he will be unable to resist grabbing for the golden ring again.   But he won't be content for a while. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
I suspect Buzz already has his list of openings that he would take next, it's just a matter of waiting.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
Buzz loves money.    Coming from where he did, he found a vehicle to get paid.    His creation story that we all heard and know by heart is true, but also provides an underlying truth.    He is ruthlessly determined to get ahead.    He led the life of a coaching nomad for a lot of years before becoming the head coach at Marquette.    Doubtlessly, this reinforced the notion to get paid while you can, that no job is forever, and that you are always looking for the next job.    He recruited the same way at MU.   Relentlessly.    Plan A fell through, plan B fell into place, frequently one that no one saw coming from the JUCO ranks.    But always looking for the next thing, because the one you are currently counting on isn't permanent.
    As soon as he felt threatened, he left.   And he really didn't care how he left, because he already had the next thing lined up with protections and guarantees in place.   And lower expectations.   I think he will eventually leave VTech.    At some point, he is going to have enough success and money that he will be unable to resist grabbing for the golden ring again.  But he won't be content for a while.

And thus his downside in that for all the good he accomplished, that blinded ambition didn't allow him to be able to deal with adversity and fit when ithey became present as issues. Those humble beginnings were forgotten and it became Buzz versus everybody. It is his motivation and his downfall. Bipolar Buzz.

It isn't how you enter a room that you will be remembered by. It is how you leave it. Buzz entered it by sweeping the four corners of the gym as a manager, and left it by leaving a clogger for a student manager to flush. He is all these things, as he left us with a lot of great memories to go with a shyte show. Both are his legacies.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:18:42 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
Don't forget how weird of a dude Bazz was.  I mean, remember his recruiting pitch to Shabazz Muhammad?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42921.msg592462#msg592462

What a weirdo.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:27:15 AM by Eldon »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
    As soon as he felt threatened, he left.   And he really didn't care how he left, because he already had the next thing lined up with protections and guarantees in place.   And lower expectations.   I think he will eventually leave VTech.    At some point, he is going to have enough success and money that he will be unable to resist grabbing for the golden ring again.   But he won't be content for a while.

Boiled down: Everyone look out for themselves and let the devil take the hindmost

I have zero issue with that personal philosophy, as long as you aren't cloaking yourself in an image of the ultimate altruistic person while actually practicing that philosophy.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:21:48 PM by mu03eng »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
Lenny is to Buzz as Chicos is to Crean. Pretty funny actually

i'm not going to go crazy diligent here, but chicos was selectively critical of tc where appropriate.  he wasn't always warm and fuzzy toward him.  ya see, that's the thing about chicos-he could be critical of those he was close to when applicable.  he could take the blinders off when he had to.  if anyone is up to it, check out some of his stuff on sidewalks.  you'll see he wasn't always shakin the tc pompon

oh yeah-love, boo-boo ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
Not comparing it in orders of magnitude, but quite frankly there is an argument to be made that Buzz should have been fired if we are looking at this ethically and/or morally. Yes Baylor is much worse in terms of scope and impacted humans, but the core "violation" is no different than at MU. Buzz gets to skate because he's a PR machine and MUAD had terrible reporting policies for crimes of that nature (both internally and to the police).

There is a definite argument that buzz could have been fired.  Cottingham was. But Baylor was more of a systematic cover up. Marquette was more out of ignorance.

Eventually, yes. Given the size of the problem, feels like skating to me....plus there was zero impact that I recall from the NCAA on the Baylor program.

NCAA is claiming they don't have jurisdiction. I think they could, but don't want to. The only way to keep Baylor from happening again is if the athletic program is significantly sanctioned in some way.  They don't want to do that because it punishes students that weren't involved....and money...and the NCAA it's made up of member schools that don't want to make enemies in case their ass it's over over the fire.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
i'm not going to go crazy diligent here, but chicos was selectively critical of tc where appropriate.  he wasn't always warm and fuzzy toward him.  ya see, that's the thing about chicos-he could be critical of those he was close to when applicable.  he could take the blinders off when he had to.  if anyone is up to it, check out some of his stuff on sidewalks.  you'll see he wasn't always shakin the tc pompon

oh yeah-love, boo-boo ;)

Do you cuddle with Chicos when it gets too much for him to bear?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
Don't forget how weird of a dude Bazz was.  I mean, remember his recruiting pitch to Shabazz Muhammad?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=42921.msg592462#msg592462

What a weirdo.

Humblebrag. I forgot completely about this. Similar to Benny B and MyRON, though, your mind may not be a safe place.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:22 PM »
There is a definite argument that buzz could have been fired.  Cottingham was. But Baylor was more of a systematic cover up. Marquette was more out of ignorance.

I agree with this. Although it still was a violation.

Look the BOT had a right, and even a duty, to be concerned. However they hired the wrong people to act on those concerns. When they eventually got it right with Wild and Cords, it didn't mean that duty went away.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »
NCAA is claiming they don't have jurisdiction. I think they could, but don't want to. The only way to keep Baylor from happening again is if the athletic program is significantly sanctioned in some way.  They don't want to do that because it punishes students that weren't involved....and money...and the NCAA it's made up of member schools that don't want to make enemies in case their ass it's over over the fire.

Pardon my french but bull$hit (not you, the NCAA). If they had standing at Penn State they had FAR more standing at Baylor. Additionally, the sanctions at PSU also directly impacted students never involved so if that's the bar.....

I understand the reality is that they vastly overplayed their hand with PSU (yes horrific events but shouldn't have been an NCAA thing) and so now can't act with Baylor. However, I'd rather than be wrong twice trying to be moral/upstanding than having them slink away

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »

I agree with this. Although it still was a violation.

Look the BOT had a right, and even a duty, to be concerned. However they hired the wrong people to act on those concerns. When they eventually got it right with Wild and Cords, it didn't mean that duty went away.

Pilarz was already hired when the story broke.

The problem was he didn't have the skills to deal with it. Also, the timing was terrible, as the Chicago Tribune story hit right before he took over. I think that in part led to the over-correction that occurred.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »
Pilarz was already hired when the story broke.

The problem was he didn't have the skills to deal with it. Also, the timing was terrible, as the Chicago Tribune story hit right before he took over. I think that in part led to the over-correction that occurred.

Makes sense. Thanks.

feedback