[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 4 years ago, today  (Read 6435 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: 4 years ago, today
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 08:39:41 AM »
Hmmmm.

There is a lot of "misremembering" about the importance of Thomas' play. The argument goes that it brought our lads to life after a bad start, but the fact is that not long after he hit it, Syracuse ended up building its lead right back up again. We won the game because of many outstanding plays by many other players in the closing minutes.

As far as important shots that season, it's not even in the ballpark with Vander's winner over Davidson (of course), Vander's winner against St. John's for the Big East title, the two treys by Jamil in the Davidson game, and, my choice, Junior's 3-pointer to force OT against UConn in a game we ultimately won, a game that set the tone for the entire season.

I'm not saying you're doing it, but it seems ridiculous for some to elevate a first-half shot by a scrub to anywhere near the magnitude of the other shots I listed. I mean, if Junior's shot doesn't go in, we lose the conference opener to UConn and who knows how the season turns out? And if Vander's shot against Davidson misses, the season will be remembered for losing to a 14 seed.

Heck, Rowsey made two more impressive 4-point plays this season, including one in which he switched the ball to his left hand!

Next you're going to tell us Kinsella didn't beat Pitt.  Let us live!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:09:41 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »
The reason MU won the regular season Syracuse game was because Buzz played Davante in the high post along with Otule down low.  Davante hit a couple shots and made a couple drives.  It really was a great coaching move by Buzz.

Jake Thomas' four point play was fun.  Briefly stopped momentum, but it wasn't the play of the game by any means.

However Boeheim was prepared for it in the E8 game and wouldn't let MU make that pass to Deonte.  It weakened up their perimeter defense but Marquette could not make them pay for their adjustment. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
The reason MU won the regular season Syracuse game was because Buzz played Davante in the high post along with Otule down low.  Davante hit a couple shots and made a couple drives.  It really was a great coaching move by Buzz.

Jake Thomas' four point play was fun.  Briefly stopped momentum, but it wasn't the play of the game by any means.

However Boeheim was prepared for it in the E8 game and wouldn't let MU make that pass to Deonte.  It weakened up their perimeter defense but Marquette could not make them pay for their adjustment.

Yes, this is correct.

IIRC (and I might not) we did make a brief (very brief, unfortunately) run in the E8 game when we did find an open Davante a couple time around the FT line. But either Cuse readjusted, Davante missed a couple shots or we stopped trying to go there. I can't remember exactly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
However Boeheim was prepared for it in the E8 game and wouldn't let MU make that pass to Deonte. 

Good thing for us too. I think Deonte was watching the game at home. I'm almost positive that's out of bounds.  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Hmmmm.

There is a lot of "misremembering" about the importance of Thomas' play. The argument goes that it brought our lads to life after a bad start, but the fact is that not long after he hit it, Syracuse ended up building its lead right back up again. We won the game because of many outstanding plays by many other players in the closing minutes.

As far as important shots that season, it's not even in the ballpark with Vander's winner over Davidson (of course), Vander's winner against St. John's for the Big East title, the two treys by Jamil in the Davidson game, and, my choice, Junior's 3-pointer to force OT against UConn in a game we ultimately won, a game that set the tone for the entire season.

I'm not saying you're doing it, but it seems ridiculous for some to elevate a first-half shot by a scrub to anywhere near the magnitude of the other shots I listed. I mean, if Junior's shot doesn't go in, we lose the conference opener to UConn and who knows how the season turns out? And if Vander's shot against Davidson misses, the season will be remembered for losing to a 14 seed.

Heck, Rowsey made two more impressive 4-point plays this season, including one in which he switched the ball to his left hand!

Rowsey actually had three 4 point plays this season, 2 of them with his left hand (vs. Providence and vs. South Carolina). Also had one at SJU. Incredible, really.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »
Rowsey actually had three 4 point plays this season, 2 of them with his left hand (vs. Providence and vs. South Carolina). Also had one at SJU. Incredible, really.

Thanks for that info.

I was at the SC game, it was at the end of the court opposite the MU fan section and I never saw a replay. So I really didn't know it was lefty until you just told me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson