[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who are you rooting for now.

UNC
10 (6.3%)
USC
45 (28.1%)
Oregon
13 (8.1%)
Gonzaga
92 (57.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Voting closed: April 01, 2017, 06:53:49 PM

Author Topic: Who are you rooting for, Final 4 version  (Read 16462 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Who are you rooting for, Final 4 version
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
Anybody but UNC.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 08:55:55 PM »
Mike McCurry‏ @Mike_McCurry16  2h2 hours ago

The Final Four has consisted of at least one out of UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, UCLA, and Kansas in each of the last 30 seasons.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 09:18:21 PM »
Anybody but UNC.

Yep.

I'd prefer USC > Zags > Ducks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UNC

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »
I prefer SC because I have enjoyed watching them the last three games but Zags would be cool, too.

So whoever wins that game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »
Mike McCurry‏ @Mike_McCurry16  2h2 hours ago

The Final Four has consisted of at least one out of UNC, Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, UCLA, and Kansas in each of the last 30 seasons.

IU fans IRATE!

I prefer SC because I have enjoyed watching them the last three games but Zags would be cool, too.

So whoever wins that game.

+1

But Zags over SC:

1) They are Jesuit
2) They may be in the BE someday

Though the SC team has grown on me.  And it's nice to be able to say "well Wojo's first tourney was a one-and-done, but hey, he lost to the champs."

I'm rooting for Oregon over UNC:

1) IIRC, Oregon's AD is an MU guy
2) Somebody has to punish UNC for their shenanigans

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 10:53:02 PM »
Six of the last nine NCAA championship games have now included a Big East or ACC remnant (mid major to the Elites). This includes four national championships. If the Zags get there as a mid, seven out of ten or five out of ten NCs if all the way.

For the money spent on football, one would expect better. The BIG hasn't won since 2000, the PAC since 1997.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
For the money spent on football, one would expect better. The BIG hasn't won since 2000, the PAC since 1997.

To them, hoops no matta.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »
For those alleging unaddressed academic fraud at UNC, do a little homework. There have been no less than four independent investigations all of which have found no involvement by the athletic department and the supposed "fraud" was simply some easier classes open to anyone and not predominantly filled with athletes. It goes much deeper than that but that is the cliff notes version.

When Jay Bilas, an attorney and a  Duke grad, comes to UNC's defense and goes after the NCAA for it you have to believe that it's been a witch hunt. Read some of his comments online.

With a Pulitzer prize in his dreams, a reporter at the Raleigh News and Observer ( NC State grad) fueled by misinformation given by overzealous NC State fans and a few people with agendas has been trying to discredit UNC. The real irony is that NC State athletes have at least two required classes that are ONLY for athletes that are guaranteed As. The hatred and vitriol spewed by NC State fans for UNC is unlike anything I've ever seen. Grew up in Ohio and know the "hatred" that's part of OSU vs UM rivalry well and it's tame and downright civilized by comparison.

The NCAA is honestly now looking for a way to save face because UNC is not taking this whole charade lying down and has hired a BIG time law firm to address this. The case was essentially over until the new head of the committee on infractions, Greg Sankey, who incidentally is  the current commissioner of the SEC (no agenda here huh?) , decided to ignore previous findings  with no legal basis within NCAA guidelines.

The academic reputation of the school is at stake and they are not going to allow lies and misrepresentations to go unchallenged.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 12:52:27 PM »
For those alleging unaddressed academic fraud at UNC, do a little homework. There have been no less than four independent investigations all of which have found no involvement by the athletic department and the supposed "fraud" was simply some easier classes open to anyone and not predominantly filled with athletes. It goes much deeper than that but that is the cliff notes version.

When Jay Bilas, an attorney and a  Duke grad, comes to UNC's defense and goes after the NCAA for it you have to believe that it's been a witch hunt. Read some of his comments online.

With a Pulitzer prize in his dreams, a reporter at the Raleigh News and Observer ( NC State grad) fueled by misinformation given by overzealous NC State fans and a few people with agendas has been trying to discredit UNC. The real irony is that NC State athletes have at least two required classes that are ONLY for athletes that are guaranteed As. The hatred and vitriol spewed by NC State fans for UNC is unlike anything I've ever seen. Grew up in Ohio and know the "hatred" that's part of OSU vs UM rivalry well and it's tame and downright civilized by comparison.

The NCAA is honestly now looking for a way to save face because UNC is not taking this whole charade lying down and has hired a BIG time law firm to address this. The case was essentially over until the new head of the committee on infractions, Greg Sankey, who incidentally is  the current commissioner of the SEC (no agenda here huh?) , decided to ignore previous findings  with no legal basis within NCAA guidelines.

The academic reputation of the school is at stake and they are not going to allow lies and misrepresentations to go unchallenged.

I grew up loving UNC and still do, but this is hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »
Gonzaga and South Caroline beat both of my alma maters this tournament so I am agnostic on this game with the benefit going to the one who has best chance to win the whole thing. 

Of that I am clueless -- silly me thought MU would beat SC.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 01:02:09 PM »

From my perspective, you're missing the point.  I don't think the UNC athletics department cheated.  UNC's defense in this matter is telling.  Since we're going with cliff notes versions, UNC's defense to the NCAA was, "this is none of your business...the bogus classes were available to all of our students, not just athletes...it wasn't an impermissible benefit."  And that is an extremely important distinction in the context of the NCAA investigation.  It protects the reputation of UNC athletics...at the expense of the university as a whole.  I agree with you that the "academic reputation of the school" is at stake.  Unfortunately, in my personal opinion, things aren't looking too good on that front.  UNC athletics doesn't cheat; UNC offers bogus classes to everyone.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
South Carolina then Gonzaga.

Gonzaga then South Carolina.  Keep the Jesuits win streak alive.  If not, let's get Frank Martin a better job to eventually get fired from.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »
Zags cause they are a  Jesuit school, then USC, Baylor, UNC. I am really hating on bluebloods lately. Thinking about it now Baylor can suck it too, cheating rapists

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »
USC can suck it too.... That whole O.J thing.....
Sorry I must have have gotten schools with hideous uniforms mixed up...Sorry Ducks
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 08:19:29 PM »
While we're on the subject of hideous uniforms.....

Take off that ND logo and glow jr. would love those board shorts.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »

I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 08:39:08 PM »
I agree with this analysis.

And there's the Scoop kiss of death...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »
From my perspective, you're missing the point.  I don't think the UNC athletics department cheated.  UNC's defense in this matter is telling.  Since we're going with cliff notes versions, UNC's defense to the NCAA was, "this is none of your business...the bogus classes were available to all of our students, not just athletes...it wasn't an impermissible benefit."  And that is an extremely important distinction in the context of the NCAA investigation.  It protects the reputation of UNC athletics...at the expense of the university as a whole.  I agree with you that the "academic reputation of the school" is at stake.  Unfortunately, in my personal opinion, things aren't looking too good on that front.  UNC athletics doesn't cheat; UNC offers bogus classes to everyone.

I agree with this. Thought it was quite a clever, but odd defense that UNC decided to go with, one that has a good chance of succeeding. The point about sacrificing the academic reputation of the university to save the athletic department is well taken. Win the battle, lose the war.

Back to the post, still torn between SC and Gonzaga but certainly whoever wins that game.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »

Yep.  Academic fraud by the whole school.

Great defense, UNC.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 10:51:12 PM »
Many of Martin's former players appreciate his rage intensity

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/how-frank-martin-and-his-sideline-fury-turned-south-carolina-into-a-winner-151406835.html

I was reading an article this morning that unfortunately I can't link at the moment, but it talked about how when Martin was on Huggins' staff at K-State, he was actually the calming influence on the team. Sounds like a lot of his sideline fury is more for show than anything else and he's a lot more laid back than most fans would expect.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 11:50:24 PM »
From everything I've heard Martin is a really great guy away from the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2017, 01:16:37 AM »
From everything I've heard Martin is a really great guy away from the court.

I have no doubt he's 100% committed to his players.  Rules though, I'm not as convinced...
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/frank-martin-is-not-a-scapegoat-new-times-busted-him-cold-at-miami-high-6544474

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2017, 03:49:28 AM »
I have no doubt he's 100% committed to his players.  Rules though, I'm not as convinced...
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/frank-martin-is-not-a-scapegoat-new-times-busted-him-cold-at-miami-high-6544474

Seems a bit extreme. Coulda just adopted them.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 10:19:46 AM »
Yep.  Academic fraud by the whole school.

Great defense, UNC.

That's thinking out of the box.  Priorities, Priorities.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback