Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Game day thread 3/18  (Read 19712 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Game day thread 3/18
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2017, 01:21:52 AM »
This is what I was referring to.  He is a freak of nature athlete.  If he fought/battled 100% on both ends at all time he could be a Barkley type player. Problem is he only dials in when he wants to.

I don't recall this particular criticism when he played at MU.  Did he recently develop Randy Moss syndrome or has he always had it?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2017, 11:20:01 AM »
I begrudgingly admire what Wisconsin has established as a program, and I have been impressed by the work they are doing in this year's tourney. Yesterday was an outstanding example of clutch play against an outstanding opponent.

And yet ...

For all of the accolades Nova deservingly received last season and this, I was disappointed in the way they defended (or didn't defend) Koenig in the final couple of minutes.

Gard ran the most basic play in the book - have his best 3-point shooter inbound the ball and then come back inbounds to take the pass for a 3 - and Nova left him wide open. I mean, I ran that play the last three years for the girls middle-school team I coach - seriously. And 12 years ago, my daughter won a high school game on the exact same play. Every team at almost every level runs some version of it. Yesterday, I was yelling at the TV, "Watch Koenig for the return pass!" And yet Wright's defending national champions weren't ready for it. Ugh.

Still, Koenig had to make the shot, something he has done in the clutch over and over and over again. He will be severely missed next season, as will Hayes, but I'm with those who caution not to underestimate Wisconsin. Effen Bucky.

As for Nova ...

Another Scooper referred to the CBS note on all of Wright's early exits, most of them coming with his team seeded 1 or 2. Had he not won the title the one time they got past the opening weekend, would he be a failure as a coach?

I know, that's actually the kind of "impossible hypothetical" I hate when others ask it, but I do think it's an interesting question.

I say no, I'd still regard him as a great coach any program would want, but there are those who base everything on tournament success.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
I think some fans would absolutely question Wright's ability as a coach if not for Nova's one run last season.The same people likely questioned Peyton Manning until he won the big one. Wright is a brilliant coach who did not coach brilliantly Saturday.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2017, 12:56:35 PM »
I think some fans would absolutely question Wright's ability as a coach if not for Nova's one run last season.The same people likely questioned Peyton Manning until he won the big one. Wright is a brilliant coach who did not coach brilliantly Saturday.
He coached fine yesterday.  But, Some of the players came up short.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »
Moving on to Sunday's game, Louisville is one of the dumbest teams I have ever seen. Absolutely freaking clueless.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
He coached fine yesterday.  But, Some of the players came up short.

As a guy who coaches, who played 100 years ago and who used to critique coaches/players as a newspaper schlub, I will say it's never easy to decide who to "blame."

As a rule, it's a "buck stops here" deal, and it's hard not to "blame" Wright for his players blowing such a simple, common assignment.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
Swanigan though...

My 2013 public notes on Swanigan... he later reclassified up a year like Markus...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback