[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Been fun guys.  (Read 3340 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Been fun guys.
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:49:46 PM »
Completely in over our heads.  Out coached, cold shooting, invisible defense.  Can't wait until we get some size next year.

ecompt

• All American
Re: Been fun guys.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
That size better have some quickness, too. At least two of our incoming freshmen are going to have play 25-30 minutes a night.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:52:02 PM »
Sure hope we learn how to play some D next year. Fun ride but feels like a waste of such a phenomenal offensive team.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:53:16 PM »
Coaching hasn't been a problem tonight. Not much you can do if players keep turning the ball over.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
Coaching hasn't been a problem tonight. Not much you can do if players keep turning the ball over.

You're kidding, right?  There WAS no defensive plan.  Team played as tight as wojo coached.  He screamed from the sideline and of course it didn't help.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
Would be nice if we played any D at all...coaching shares the blame for that
No Finish Line

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:57:07 PM »
You're kidding, right?  There WAS no defensive plan.  Team played as tight as wojo coached.  He screamed from the sideline and of course it didn't help.

Team has been poor defensively all year. Lack of height and athleticism. Not sure what you think he should of done.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:57:48 PM »
Team has been poor defensively all year. Lack of height and athleticism. Not sure what you think he should of done.

Where else does the buck stop, man?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »
Wojo has yet to show he can coach defense. My offseason wish is he learns how
No Finish Line

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:02:02 PM »
Where else does the buck stop, man?

You said he was out coached. Tell me exactly what he should have done. Don't just be a whiner. What would you have done? 

I agree that the buck stops with him. Three years of progress.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:03:12 PM »
I agree with Sultan, I don't know what else MU could really have done other than foul the Russian guy every single trip and take your chances with him at the line.

Howard/Rowsey just aren't big enough to defend. Turnovers destroyed MU, especially in the second half.

On to Marathon Oil...

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »
Marathon Oil.  Nice old time reference.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
You said he was out coached. Tell me exactly what he should have done. Don't just be a whiner. What would you have done? 

I agree that the buck stops with him. Three years of progress.

Remember when we lost a week ago in almost the same way?  And nothing really changed?

It's not whining.  It's valid criticism.  Take the kid gloves off, that was embarrassing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:07:59 PM »
Remember when we lost a week ago in almost the same way?  And nothing really changed?

It's not whining.  It's valid criticism.  Take the kid gloves off, that was embarrassing.

You know why it was the same?  Same players!!!

Stop avoiding the question. What would you have done?  Are you gonna answer or are you just gonna whine and stomp your feet?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:08:50 PM »
I mean, they are still my team, but be realistic. 

The bigs played so soft, we played out of control (fed off of our hot headed coach),  and made zero adjustments.

The only change in game plan I saw for 40 minutes was JJJ saying, "I'm not going out laying down."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 11:11:01 PM »
There was nothing new tonight, nothing to be bitter about. Marquette got beat by a bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic team.  3 point shooting will only take you so far.  MU played to its ceiling.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »

Stop avoiding the question. What would you have done?  Are you gonna answer or are you just gonna whine and stomp your feet?

Play to the teams strengths.  The screens were bad, too many early contested shots, drive the lane and at least TRY to draw a foul.

As a basketball fan this isn't hard.  Pounding your head against the wall and hoping for a different outcome seems to be what you're suggesting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
Play to the teams strengths.  The screens were bad, too many early contested shots, drive the lane and at least TRY to draw a foul.

As a basketball fan this isn't hard.  Pounding your head against the wall and hoping for a different outcome seems to be what you're suggesting.

They did play to the teams strengths. The other teams strengths were stronger.

This was a limited team. It happens.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »
There was nothing new tonight, nothing to be bitter about. Marquette got beat by a bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic team.  3 point shooting will only take you so far.  MU played to its ceiling.

Obviously, and that's not what I'm saying.  I had high hopes from the onset of the season, but low expectations.

People lay into Tom Crean on this board for having no ability to make in game adjustments, but what has Wojo done to show that he is capable of doing that?

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:27 PM »

Since Wojo has been doing a terrible job coaching defense since he's gotten here, what you see is what you get.

Whatever his scheme is is clearly flawed.

Maybe he'll bring in some top 20 guys and they will be so good they can make up for Wojo's shortcomings.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:38 PM »
The problem with this defense is lack of size and athleticism primarily. Look at the transfer and the three guys coming in. Wojo knows what the issues are.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:56 PM »
Zones.  Moving Howard off the ball.  Starting Luke in the second half.  All adjustments.  Bigger, stronger, faster team.  100 miles from home.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 11:35:17 PM »
I just hope Wojo can teach the boys how to stay in front of their man. The 13-0 run, or whatever it was, was basically a succession of layups. FFS, make them beat you shooting something other than 5 ft shots. You can't teach athleticism but you can teach foundamentals, and D is no worse then 50-50 between those two.

We were right there with ok st, buzz and wake for the worst D of an at large. Let's get that fixed and make a run next year.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »
I just hope Wojo can teach the boys how to stay in front of their man. The 13-0 run, or whatever it was, was basically a succession of layups. FFS, make them beat you shooting something other than 5 ft shots. You can't teach athleticism but you can teach foundamentals, and D is no worse then 50-50 between those two.

We were right there with ok st, buzz and wake for the worst D of an at large. Let's get that fixed and make a run next year.
Seemed like Sc didn't miss during that second half. We'll be back

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »

+1

feedback