2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] What you need to know about S. Carolina’s defense  (Read 5824 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: [Paint Touches] What you need to know about S. Carolina’s defense
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 10:37:08 PM »
LOL.  I assume you are trolling here?  Or do you believe Duane/Cheatham are better options?  If so, please help me understand.  I felt JJJ finished on a high note against Xavier and Creighton and has shown he can be incredibly productive even in the limited minutes Wojo plays him (frequently).

Has JJJ ever been the primary ball handler for any team he's played on since grade school?  Duane was a top 50 HS recruit while being the primary ball handler for Dominican.  Cheatham was the primary ball handler for MU for much of last year.  Ball handling experience is important when playing a team that utilizes a ball pressuring defense.  An even more important skill than laughing at things you don't understand.

Oh, and at 18% JJJ's turnover % is the highest on the team among scholarship players this year.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:42:17 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 10:39:54 PM »
You know South Carolina's defense is great, but here's a look at what exactly makes it so difficult to score on.

https://painttouches.com/2017/03/14/what-you-need-to-know-about-s-carolinas-defense/
I think we are really going to need a solid game from JJJ to compete against this team. He has the length and athleticism to neutralize what these guys bring to the table. I would like to see him driving it and kicking it out to Markus , Sam , Katin etc for Open looks. We are also going to need Luke to be effective offensively to draw the defense in.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 10:46:29 PM »
I think we are really going to need a solid game from JJJ to compete against this team. He has the length and athleticism to neutralize what these guys bring to the table. I would like to see him driving it and kicking it out to Markus , Sam , Katin etc for Open looks. We are also going to need Luke to be effective offensively to draw the defense in.

Did you read the part of the Paint Touches article you refer to headed "Preventing Penetration"?  Spoiler alert: they are better at it than a nun chaperone at a Catholic High School dance.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 04:46:33 AM »
I really don't think that Wojo is dumb enough to start JJJ.  In fact, I think that JJJ's minutes will be less than normal, he's not a good matchup for South Carolina offensively.

If JJJ doesn't play hero ball, who will?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:41 AM »
This "could" be a game where FT's matta.

Did Sand Knit get banned? 

Tower913

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »
Has JJJ ever been the primary ball handler for any team he's played on since grade school?  Duane was a top 50 HS recruit while being the primary ball handler for Dominican.  Cheatham was the primary ball handler for MU for much of last year.  Ball handling experience is important when playing a team that utilizes a ball pressuring defense.  An even more important skill than laughing at things you don't understand.

Oh, and at 18% JJJ's turnover % is the highest on the team among scholarship players this year.

Things I don't understand?  In the realm of all explanations to articulate your position, NEVER in 100 years would I have thought we'd be citing Duane's role at Wisconsin Division 5, Dominican High School 5 years ago, or Cheatham's "rock solid" ball handling last year as a primary ball handler to rationalize the logic to bench JJJ in favor of Duane/Cheatham against South Carolina.

Sure JJJ has a slightly higher turnover rate (which ultimately gets offset by his high steal rate.)  He's also a higher usage player than Duane/Cheatham.  Duane has a 70.5 O-Rating in the last 6 games since being inserted into the starting lineup.  Cheatham is in a major funk.  None of JJJ, Duane, Cheatham are primary ball handlers anyway.  JJJ has a better eFG%, Assist rate, Rebounding Rate, commits less fouls than Duane/Cheatham, is 19th in the whole country in Steal Rate - and you want to park him behind Duane/Haanif?  How did that work out against Seton Hall in the 2nd half when JJJ got parked on the bench for the first 9 minutes of the 2nd half? 

And let's face it, Wojo's assessment of his players talents/abilities isn't exactly bullet proof, as we saw he felt it prudent to start/play Cohen over Burton two years ago, and Cohen more minutes than JJJ last year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »

Sure JJJ has a slightly higher turnover rate (which ultimately gets offset by his high steal rate.) 

His higher turnover rate does not get offset by his steal rate.....his steal rate gets offset by the worse defensive eFG MU has when he plays defense because he gambles which causes all of the rotations to go out of whack not to mention his sometimes lackadaisical approach to hustling back on D.

SC's offense will be depending on MU turnovers to generate their offense. JjJ is a good player, but not a great fit for what we're facing in SC.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 10:51:32 AM »
His higher turnover rate does not get offset by his steal rate.....his steal rate gets offset by the worse defensive eFG MU has when he plays defense because he gambles which causes all of the rotations to go out of whack not to mention his sometimes lackadaisical approach to hustling back on D.

SC's offense will be depending on MU turnovers to generate their offense. JjJ is a good player, but not a great fit for what we're facing in SC.

This. SC is a nightmare matchup for Jj. I expect him to get some run early, and after a few turnovers, not seeing much of him the rest of the way.

Don't misunderstand me, that's not what I am hoping for. I hope he comes out and plays like he did against Creighton the first 10 minutes. We shall see, but they're suffocating D will be tough for JJ to handle.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
If JJJ doesn't play hero ball, who will?

Reinhardt, duh!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 11:42:21 AM »
You know South Carolina's defense is great, but here's a look at what exactly makes it so difficult to score on.

https://painttouches.com/2017/03/14/what-you-need-to-know-about-s-carolinas-defense/

This article is one of the best additions to scoop and the wider MU hoops community in recent memory. Thanks.

feedback