Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best transfers in MU history  (Read 34008 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Best transfers in MU history
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2017, 07:39:26 AM »
dgies

Great back story on why Walter went to DePaul first. He was a true Warrior, even if he went to DePaul first.

PTM
Jamil belongs on the list. Maybe did not live up to expectations, but he was a very talented player.

I'll give you talent, massively talented. Great person too, just couldn't turn that into being a player.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »
DB2,  good to see you on the scoop board.     My immersion in MU hoops began in 1984.    I knew MU was good prior, but I was young and wasn't obsessed with it in the 70's and early 80's, so I won't speak to transfers prior to 1984.
JUCO's:   Just about anybody Buzz landed with the exception of Fulce.   Benny Moore. Jamil Lott.
Grad Transfers:   We've only had 3.    Each had his virtues and I am grateful for all 3.   With a gun to my head, I would rank them Carlino, Katin, Lockett. 
Traditional transfers:    David Boone.    Robert Jackson.   Ron Curry.   Rowsey is creeping up the charts.  Luke Fischer
Transfers whose performance failed to equal the hype:   Mike Davis, Walter Downing, Jamil Wilson, Mike Kinsella, Dan Fitzgerald, Trend Blackledge.

On balance, MU has gained more than it has lost due to transfers.    If a separate thread was started about transfers out that hurt the team and went on to success elsewhere, I would say the most painful were Odartey, Jeronne (stupid dad), and Deonte. 

How have you forgotten the Mike Kinsella Game?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2017, 07:42:23 AM »
Always heard that if Odartey stayed, Marquette would have had a legitimate shot at a National Championship.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
How have you forgotten the Mike Kinsella Game?
Or Jamil Lott for off the court.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »
Or Jamil Lott for off the court.

Yeahhhhh.....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2017, 07:50:20 AM »
DB2,  good to see you on the scoop board.     My immersion in MU hoops began in 1984.    I knew MU was good prior, but I was young and wasn't obsessed with it in the 70's and early 80's, so I won't speak to transfers prior to 1984.
JUCO's:   Just about anybody Buzz landed with the exception of Fulce.   Benny Moore. Jamil Lott.
Grad Transfers:   We've only had 3.    Each had his virtues and I am grateful for all 3.   With a gun to my head, I would rank them Carlino, Katin, Lockett. 
Traditional transfers:    David Boone.    Robert Jackson.   Ron Curry.   Rowsey is creeping up the charts.  Luke Fischer
Transfers whose performance failed to equal the hype:   Mike Davis, Walter Downing, Jamil Wilson, Mike Kinsella, Dan Fitzgerald, Trend Blackledge.

On balance, MU has gained more than it has lost due to transfers.    If a separate thread was started about transfers out that hurt the team and went on to success elsewhere, I would say the most painful were Odartey, Jeronne (stupid dad), and Deonte.

Not technically a transfer but Jim Chones going to the ABA potentially cost us a National Championship. I would have done the same thing as Jim, so not a criticism of him; just saying.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:51:59 AM by muwarrior69 »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »
Yeahhhhh.....

Crean whiffed on his JUCOs, but it didn't certainly stop him from overhyping them when he whiffed on his high school targets and they were his fall backs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »
Chones was before my time.   I am choosing to not comment on players I didn't see.     Kinsella had one good game in 2 years.   Another of Crean's mis-fires.     Jamil Lott off court?     I have not heard those legends/rumors. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2017, 07:59:29 AM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
Crean whiffed on his JUCOs, but it didn't certainly stop him from overhyping them when he whiffed on his high school targets and they were his fall backs.

Lott was super jacked, I'll give Crean that?

I liked Marcus Jackson, just had to play point center too often.

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
in my time at MU, Walter Downing transferred from Depaul to MU....so much expectation for big Walter but we never made the tourney and if I recall he had pretty damaged knees and a bad back.   He was so highly touted out of high school though.    The two highlights I remember most were his sheer joy in the final moments at the MECCA when we beat DePaul and on senior night when he played the national anthem on bass guitar  (although that may have been a chemical induced hallucination on my part).

And I agree with prior posts...Boone was an absolute beast.
Downing had one leg that was shorter than the other, leading to back issues. Great player!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »
If we're talking Jamil Wilson, Matt Carlino, Trent Lockett, and Dan Fitzgerald I'll go ahead and guarantee Rowsey will end up with a better MU career than any of those guys.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »
If we're talking Jamil Wilson, Matt Carlino, Trent Lockett, and Dan Fitzgerald I'll go ahead and guarantee Rowsey will end up with a better MU career than any of those guys.

Lockett was great because he filled a need. Great defender and rebounder from the wing. Two things we desperately needed that year.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »

Pretty sure Trend Blackledge still holds the NCAA record for Sportscenter Top 10 plays per 40 minutes.

The guy would play 30 sec of garbage time and have some sort of amazing dunk or blocked shot seemingly every time.

But I'll never get over the dropped pass in the final seconds against Notre Dame.  Would've had a wide open dunk to take the lead, capping a miraculous rally.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2017, 09:32:53 AM »
Always heard that if Odartey stayed, Marquette would have had a legitimate shot at a National Championship.

We actually had a pretty legitimate shot without him.

Regarding his transfer - we most definitely lost talent, but rumor was that he left because he thought he should he was an NBA talent who'd never get to show off his game if he wasn't a bigger focus of the offense than DWade.  In sum, we lost talent, but we may have benefitted in terms of team chemistry.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Rowsey is a great pick up.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
Rowsey is a great pick up.

Yup. He had great numbers at UNC-A, but I wondered how well it would translate to this level. Definitely hasn't been an issue, and can't wait to see what he does next year now that he's had time to get comfortable at this level. Loved him ever since he got in Ben Simmons' face in Brooklyn last year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I didn't see Rob Jax. Thanks for letting me know.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:04:26 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »
For anyone who is interested, below is a youtube link to a 'Quette vs. Lame. This game includes four transfers on our list. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3VjMRwchoA&t=113s

Walter Downing - No. 13
Kevin Johnson - No. 10
Benny Moore - No. 4
The Great - David Boone - No. 25

DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »
Do Jucos count? I kinda see us as the next progression and those are not true transfers.

In order, I would argue the following:

1) Jim Boylan -- Another poster pointed out his importance to our 1977 team.

2) Ulice Payne --Underrated. Very good, strong power forward. Came from Miami of Ohio.

3) David Boone -- I agree with this one, but those teams never gelled the way they should have.

4) Walter Downing -- Never should have gone to DePaul. Hampered by injury but when he was "on", he was really on. I liked this guy and thought constantly, "what if..."

5) Robert Jackson -- Never would have made the Final Four without him!

UP transferred in from Ohio U., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
Chones was before my time.   I am choosing to not comment on players I didn't see.     Kinsella had one good game in 2 years.   Another of Crean's mis-fires.     Jamil Lott off court?     I have not heard those legends/rumors.

Trust us.  Chones was one of the best players to ever put on a Marquette uniform.  They were a very serious national championship threat.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »
Goose is top 10 transfer.

So are you the real Goose from the good old Days?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Class71

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2017, 02:12:19 PM »
Not technically a transfer but Jim Chones going to the ABA potentially cost us a National Championship. I would have done the same thing as Jim, so not a criticism of him; just saying.

Al also said he would have done the same. Typically Al thought it was a bad idea tonleave early but in Chones case the money was too good and his mom was washing floors so Al gave his blessing.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
Al also said he would have done the same. Typically Al thought it was a bad idea tonleave early but in Chones case the money was too good and his mom was washing floors so Al gave his blessing.

Hell, Al was essentially his agent and Little Louie was the Nets coach. SJU to SJU deal.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
For anyone who is interested, below is a youtube link to a 'Quette vs. Lame. This game includes four transfers on our list. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3VjMRwchoA&t=113s

Walter Downing - No. 13
Kevin Johnson - No. 10
Benny Moore - No. 4
The Great - David Boone - No. 25

Game with David Rivers....college basketball's answer to Nipsey Russell.

feedback