Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best transfers in MU history  (Read 33968 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Best transfers in MU history
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »
We would of been unbelievely bad two years ago without Carlino.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
I enjoyed watching Jim Dudley leap. He transferred from Michigan State.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 09:17:27 PM »
Cloud Piercer, Groovy, Grasshopper, Ron Curry, David Boone, Sir Walter, Sam.

Actually would say Curry was big time program changer post Al.

I forgot all about Artie.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 09:18:28 PM »
in my time at MU, Walter Downing transferred from Depaul to MU....so much expectation for big Walter but we never made the tourney and if I recall he had pretty damaged knees and a bad back.   He was so highly touted out of high school though.    The two highlights I remember most were his sheer joy in the final moments at the MECCA when we beat DePaul and on senior night when he played the national anthem on bass guitar  (although that may have been a chemical induced hallucination on my part).

And I agree with prior posts...Boone was an absolute beast.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
I forgot all about Artie.

The anti-gravity man!
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
in my time at MU, Walter Downing transferred from Depaul to MU....so much expectation for big Walter but we never made the tourney and if I recall he had pretty damaged knees and a bad back.   He was so highly touted out of high school though.    The two highlights I remember most were his sheer joy in the final moments at the MECCA when we beat DePaul and on senior night when he played the national anthem on bass guitar  (although that may have been a chemical induced hallucination on my part).

And I agree with prior posts...Boone was an absolute beast.
Saw him at the Alumni Game
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
David Boone was top five post Al guy in my book. Rebounding machine and I love rebounders. I mean, real rebounders.

Right on Goose!!!!!!
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »
bilsu

Big Matt fan in many ways. Good call.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 09:33:42 PM »
I used to go to MU's open practices as a kid when Hank was the coach. then Rick. Walter Downing was fun to watch, very nice guy. But the big man I remember that used to eat everyone up in practice was Llyod Moore. He was a beast and he had elbows like knives. But he was a headcase. Then he broke his foot and he never recovered mentally at Marquette.

Too bad, because we really needed a big man back then. Schlundt was gone and Downing was still at DePaul I believe.

I don't know if Moore was a transfer though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:12:03 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »
Cloud Piercer, Groovy, Grasshopper, Ron Curry, David Boone, Sir Walter, Sam.

Actually would say Curry was big time program changer post Al.
Ron Curry was my first thought, he delivered the goods.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »
David Boone

You questioning my Benny Moore shout out?

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
David Boone

You questioning my Benny Moore shout out?

No. I'm talking about Llyod Moore. Read the whole post.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2017, 10:00:13 PM »
David

Lloyd was Dapper Dan, not transfer. My bad.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:50 PM »
great posts all around-brought back a lot of good memories and got me to check out some old stories- :)
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 11:35:30 PM »
We would of been unbelievely bad two years ago without Carlino.

Carlino would have been a marquette legend had the team been good when he came.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »
We forgot Rob Jackson and Jamil Wilson.

Plus, Goose (aka Little Bro) if we go with Benny Moore then we have to include Kevin Johnson as well. Back court mates.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 06:16:13 AM »
We forgot Rob Jackson and Jamil Wilson.

Jackson was mentioned in the 2nd post of the thread.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2017, 06:51:23 AM »
David

Dunkin Dan was more like it.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 06:59:40 AM »
H.S. seniors are overrated, transfers are underrated.

Back in the day most of the "players" went to a prep-school or Jr. College.  Now we see players moving up from  league to league and down scale as well.  Remember Division. 1 is a one year contract, Division. 3, where applicable, is a 4 year grant.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2017, 07:00:32 AM »
Do Jucos count? I kinda see us as the next progression and those are not true transfers.

In order, I would argue the following:

1) Jim Boylan -- Another poster pointed out his importance to our 1977 team.

2) Ulice Payne --Underrated. Very good, strong power forward. Came from Miami of Ohio.

3) David Boone -- I agree with this one, but those teams never gelled the way they should have.

4) Walter Downing -- Never should have gone to DePaul. Hampered by injury but when he was "on", he was really on. I liked this guy and thought constantly, "what if..."

5) Robert Jackson -- Never would have made the Final Four without him!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2017, 07:04:34 AM »
Post Al, Dwight Buycks has to make the list. Great skill set, better suited for the NBA.

Lil Bit and Jake make my Super Sub team. Both forced into more prominent roles, both won or kept us in some key games. Jake got a rap his senior year, but Mayo should have been the starter. He hit some Major Nads shots versus Cuse and Butler (Maui, would have been the game winner yet Clarke's buzzer beater runner), and as a diversion versus Davidson.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
I don't think Jamil Wilson needs to be mentioned in a best transfer list. I'll go ahead and say Dan Fitzgerald if we're mentioning Wilson.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »
dgies

Great back story on why Walter went to DePaul first. He was a true Warrior, even if he went to DePaul first.

PTM
Jamil belongs on the list. Maybe did not live up to expectations, but he was a very talented player.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2017, 07:38:42 AM »
David

True.  Bad legs and too healthy appetite doomed Lloyd.  Toothpicks supporting a potato. 

David Boone terrific.  Sad that my most lasting memory of Boone (with a disappointing Downing on that team-we were all so hopeful that he would be what Lloyd wasn't; Downing was fine, but never what DePaul and then MU hoped) missing potential game clinching FT at ND my senior year.  10 seconds left and we were up 2.  And then lost.  0-6 vs ND my 4 years.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »
DB2,  good to see you on the scoop board.     My immersion in MU hoops began in 1984.    I knew MU was good prior, but I was young and wasn't obsessed with it in the 70's and early 80's, so I won't speak to transfers prior to 1984.
JUCO's:   Just about anybody Buzz landed with the exception of Fulce.   Benny Moore. Jamil Lott.
Grad Transfers:   We've only had 3.    Each had his virtues and I am grateful for all 3.   With a gun to my head, I would rank them Carlino, Katin, Lockett. 
Traditional transfers:    David Boone.    Robert Jackson.   Ron Curry.   Rowsey is creeping up the charts.  Luke Fischer
Transfers whose performance failed to equal the hype:   Mike Davis, Walter Downing, Jamil Wilson, Mike Kinsella, Dan Fitzgerald, Trend Blackledge.

On balance, MU has gained more than it has lost due to transfers.    If a separate thread was started about transfers out that hurt the team and went on to success elsewhere, I would say the most painful were Odartey, Jeronne (stupid dad), and Deonte. 

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback