Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MSG happens  (Read 11983 times)

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
Re: MSG happens
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
The hall it all there free throws, they're just a tough physical  team we have a hard time matching up with. Not hitting our shots today but I  can't wait  for the NCAA. I think we get a 9 seed IMO. Hope we light somebody up.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »
1.  Picked a bad day to have a terrible game shooting 3s.
2.  MU just does not match the Hall's physicality.
3.  Markus looked like a frosh at MSG.  He will be better next year.
4.  Luke going back in made my day.   He didn't look the same when he came back.
5.  The ball just did not move well today.  Maybe it was SH, maybe it was nerves.
6.  MU's defensive effort waned as the shots kept missing.  Solid early, progressively
worse.
7.  Delgado as facilitator.  Whoda thunk ?
8.  In the end,  physicality shows up every game.  Shooting doesn't.
9.  Gotta be smart enough to know to start fouling in a timely fashion .
10.  Should have gone small down the stretch with Katin in the game and no center.
11.  Nothing to do but wait until Sunday .

1. 13-30 on 3s, 43.3%, efg% 64%. 39 points on 30 shots. On 2s, 11-30. 22 points on 30 shots. When teams chase us off the 3 point line (as Hall did in the 2nd half until garbage time) our offense usually struggles.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
Its nice when u get to hear the announcers talk about the other teams heart, toughness, will to win, and energy for the last 10 minutes of a game.  Announcers used to talk about Marquette that way.

Will be sooo glad to never watch our seniors step on the court again.  Softest class i have ever had the displeasure of witnessing.  Mental and physical weakness

So don't watch.  I've never understood why people put them through so much pain when they don't have to.  Willingly selecting to watch something that you would be glad to never see, something you consider a displeasure to watch?  Just skip it man.  Life is short.  Why waste it on things that cause you that kind of displeasure?  Just don't watch our game next Friday.  It's that simple.

Somebody here is soft.  It isn't our team, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
1. 13-30 on 3s, 43.3%, efg% 64%. 39 points on 30 shots. On 2s, 11-30. 22 points on 30 shots. When teams chase us off the 3 point line (as Hall did in the 2nd half until garbage time) our offense usually struggles.

Especially when they're funneling us into bigger, stronger, more athletic defenders. It felt like the ball got stuck or lost on drives more than usual today.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
It appears we are leaving NYC healthy.  We aren't leaving NYC with no chance of hearing our name on Sunday.  All in all, a successful trip.

Safe travels home, enjoy hearing MU's name being called on Sunday for the first time in too long, and play better next Friday.

Oh, and fix the one problem with today...get your ball movement and spacing back.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
It seems to be like we hardly ever do well in the conference tournament.  Maybe we get one win but we just don't seem to play well.  And if I recall the games have followed a similar arc.  We start off well but just can't match the other teams intensity and lose it in the second half.  Buzz had a pretty good record of winning in the NCAA tournament but even his teams (like Jae's player of the year year) didn't play up to par in the BE tourne.  Lets hope this foretells success in the NCAA tournament where at least recently we have fared better.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
Its nice when u get to hear the announcers talk about the other teams heart, toughness, will to win, and energy for the last 10 minutes of a game.  Announcers used to talk about Marquette that way.

Will be sooo glad to never watch our seniors step on the court again.  Softest class i have ever had the displeasure of witnessing.  Mental and physical weakness

Do you berate your kids for saying it's "quarter til' 5" when it's really 4:44?  You just must be a gem to be around when watching a game.....  ::)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:06:27 PM by lurch91 »

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
Yep we always suck in the tournament. Different year same story. Hopefully we don't get screwed on Sunday and can make the tournament

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »
It seems to be like we hardly ever do well in the conference tournament.  Maybe we get one win but we just don't seem to play well.  And if I recall the games have followed a similar arc.  We start off well but just can't match the other teams intensity and lose it in the second half.  Buzz had a pretty good record of winning in the NCAA tournament but even his teams (like Jae's player of the year year) didn't play up to par in the BE tourne.  Lets hope this foretells success in the NCAA tournament where at least recently we have fared better.

Off the top of my head, I think we've made it to semifinal Friday twice (2008 and 2010) in 12 years now. This is just not our thing, sadly. Pretty sure we've lost on Thursday the other 10 seasons.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »
Yea, even in 11-12 and 12-13 when we were like the two and three seeds with double byes. We got absolutely shellacked by Louisville and Notre Dame.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »

Yeah, the 3 pt % was normal, but it was due to garbage time makes.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »

5.  The ball just did not move well today.  Maybe it was SH, maybe it was nerves.

We were playing well and up 6 with the ball. I think it was three straight possessions, two by Reinhardt and one by JJJ that they just made their mine up that they were going to shoot and not pass the ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
After today, we are 10-12 in the BET.  Here is how we have performed to seed.

As higher seed:  6-6
As lower seed:  4-6

So we have lost six games that we should have won.  And won four we should have lost. 

Class71

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
Just for the record, that post was teal all the way.

I'm high on Wojo and I like the direction we're going as a program.

Thought you were but some on this blog just do not get it.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

mug644

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
To me, the poor offense came down to two things: first, we weren't hitting from the outside, in part because Seton Hall's quickness closed down the perimeter very quickly and we weren't as open as normal. Second, guys seemed tentative once getting in to the lane; there seemed to be few kick outs, and there were more turnovers than fouls.

Bottom line, the offense wasn't clicking as it has been recently, and that ultimately impacted the quality of the defensive effort, which started out pretty well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
Yeah, the 3 pt % was normal, but it was due to garbage time makes.

Agree Tower, and I noted that - our 3 point % went up when Seton Hall lost interest in guarding us at the 3 point line during garbage time. But even before that our offensive achilles heal was abysmal shooting from 2, not slightly worse than normal numbers from 3.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »
Second worst 2FG% of the season.

PS - Markus had a 134 ORtg; 0 turnovers. His ORtg rose to > 120

Markus Howard now 1 of 10 players w/ >120 ORtg & 25% Usage. Josh Hart, John Collins, Frank Mason among the group. #mubb
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 08:01:30 PM »

You are such an enormous turd.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 08:04:06 PM »
We were playing well and up 6 with the ball. I think it was three straight possessions, two by Reinhardt and one by JJJ that they just made their mine up that they were going to shoot and not pass the ball.

JJJ had the great game Saturday and came out today thinking he was Jerry West. Katin thinks he is Jerry West everyday. Even we were up 19-9 I said to my wife our offense had to be more than just fire away, especially when JJJ and Duane were shooting the 3's. Oh, well. Wait and pray. I'd be very surprised if we were left out but our RPI sucks.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »
Don't worry guys.... I just double checked this year's tourney sites, and fortunately, MSG ain't on it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »
Don't worry guys.... I just double checked this year's tourney sites, and fortunately, MSG ain't on it.

Check harder.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
It is the BIG EAST not the BIG MIDWEST.  Play the tournament in Chicago, the ACC plays in Brooklyn.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2017, 09:43:39 PM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »
East Regional.

Ahhh. I'm hoping we go west anywho.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback