collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Michigan air accident  (Read 3616 times)

jsglow

• All American
Michigan air accident
« on: March 08, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
For those who haven't heard,  the Michigan basketball team's plane aborted takeoff today in very strong winds.  The plane slid off the runway and sustained very major damage but no injuries were reported.  According to a statement,  all were glad they never went airborne. We'll learn more but it appears that a quick reaction saved a much worse situation.  Glad all are safe.

tower912

• All American
Re: Michigan air accident
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:35:22 PM »
Don't try to take off during a Harbaugh press conference.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:17:38 PM »
Winds up to 60 mph. Who made the decision to fly in that.

I have sat on the tarmac at Kennedy for winds that weren't even half of that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:50:13 PM »

Thank God no one was hurt. However your spot on correct that plane should never have taken off.  Wait until conditions clear.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 05:22:53 AM »
Conditions didn't clear until 2 AM.     750k without power statewide. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:22:49 AM »

If the wind is a headwind, that's no problem.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:53:46 AM »
What is going on? First Butler, then Gtown (van flipped over) and now Michigan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
Heard at 6:30 this morning that the team's plane had just left.  Out of Detroit.  I bet those guys slept really well last night.
Have some patience, FFS.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
Landed in D.C. 3 hours before tip. I bet they still beat Illinois but get rolled by Purdue.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
Michigan crushed Illinois by 20. I think they've underachieved all year and have the size to hang in the game with Purdue.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 05:50:29 AM »
Landed in D.C. 3 hours before tip. I bet they still beat Illinois but get rolled by Purdue.

maybe their warm-up/practice jerseys really are "GOLD".  they work just like a pair of midterm undies-turn 'em inside out and they're ready for another round, eyyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 07:18:38 AM »
Michigan crushed Illinois by 20. I think they've underachieved all year and have the size to hang in the game with Purdue.

They went for the cheap sympathy factor by wearing the practice jerseys for the game.

Just about what you'd expect from a school that would hire Harbaugh.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:15 AM »
They went for the cheap sympathy factor by wearing the practice jerseys for the game.

Not sure if you were aware but the NTSB would not let them remove their gear/uniforms from the plane until they finished their investigation of the accident.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
Not sure if you were aware but the NTSB would not let them remove their gear/uniforms from the plane until they finished their investigation of the accident.

Harbaugh still sucks, though.

brandx

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:50:29 AM »
If the wind is a headwind, that's no problem.

Don't planes always try to takeoff into a headwind? Maybe tha't why runways head different directions.

This was completely careless on everyone's part.

brandx

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »

Yes I am aware of that.

I am also aware that this is a multi, multi million $$$$ operation. They have more than one set of uniforms. They had no problems shoe-wise. They just wore the practice jerseys for effect.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
Yes I am aware of that.

I am also aware that this is a multi, multi million $$$$ operation. They have more than one set of uniforms. They had no problems shoe-wise. They just wore the practice jerseys for effect.

Give it up. All 3 sets of uniforms (white, blue, gold) were on the plane and part of the investigation. They're going to be wearing their regular uni's today after they got their equipment back.

brandx

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:11 AM »
Give it up. All 3 sets of uniforms (white, blue, gold) were on the plane and part of the investigation. They're going to be wearing their regular uni's today after they got their equipment back.

So you are telling me that this huge sports operation has only ONE set of blue uniforms, ONE set of Gold Uniforms, and ONE set of white uniforms?

I wonder why there were allowed to take their shoes off of the plane, but not their uniforms.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »
U of M was flying a Super 80 charter out of Willow Run.  They have twin SW-NE runways and one E-W runway.  Prevailing winds are typically from the SW this time of year, and though I don't know what direction it was gusting the other day, but historically, the wind gusts have come from 210-230 degrees on the compass.  Since the Super 80 can withstand a 26 mph crosswind, that pencils out to 75+ mph winds gusting to 100 from 210.  So they either got hit by a tornado or the winds shifted to a freaky direction.

That said, a commercial flight might have been delayed out of an abundance of caution in these circumstances, but otherwise, it certainly seems like they could have taken off within parameters.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
So you are telling me that this huge sports operation has only ONE set of blue uniforms, ONE set of Gold Uniforms, and ONE set of white uniforms?

I wonder why there were allowed to take their shoes off of the plane, but not their uniforms.

They didn't take their shoes out of cargo. If you did even a tiny bit of research, you'd know that they actually didn't have their regular game shoes or socks. Presumably the practice gear was shipped separately or not stored in the cargo area, which is why they had access to them.

Keep on believing your ridiculous conspiracy theory though.

EaglesNest

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
Michigan just beat Purdue. Would be a great semi-final matchup against Michigan State.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
kept waiting for Keefe story of taking off into the face of the typhoon of the century from Okinawa while perusing a copy of Playboy and a grand Cohiba proudly protruding from his perfectly sculpted choppers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 01:29:15 PM »
kept waiting for Keefe story of taking off into the face of the typhoon of the century from Okinawa while perusing a copy of Playboy and a grand Cohiba proudly protruding from his perfectly sculpted choppers.

Yeah.  These pansies these days.  Michigan would've had their real uniforms if Keefer was piloting that plane.  #millennials.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter