Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is this what it feels like to have been a Cubs fan until 2016?  (Read 6173 times)

The Lens

• All American
Re: Is this what it feels like to have been a Cubs fan until 2016?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
I love 'em. Best run team in baseball.

I didn't know you were a red neck racist with a penchant for drinking & driving. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Yeah, we're just like the Cubs - if Bryant (like Henry) leaves after his rookie year.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 09:23:10 AM »
The Wojo era has been most like the Miami Marlins, recently.  Lots of potential with a ceiling of .500.  If there is a more apt comparison (Brew will hopefully like this one), this team is most like the USMNT under Klinsmann. A coach who had come from somewhere more prestigious. A recruitment of pretty good players.  Results that were really "meh" on the field, with some awesome wins and terrible losses thrown in.  A lot of questions on whether the coach knew anything about "coaching" or not.

I'm liking this comparison, sad to say.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:27 AM »
Huh?
My bad--mistaken Warriorfreds response as Wadesworld.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 09:27:37 AM »
Like all of the Cubs fans chiming in, I'd have to say no. This single season has been very frustrating and adding in the past few post Buzz seasons makes it worse. But we'd need to add a solid 4 decades of complete irrelevance coupled with two EPIC postseason collapses to get close.

I think a pretty good baseball comp is the Pittsburgh Pirates. Won a title in the late 70s. Had a couple decades toiling in irrelevance. Recent success over the last several years ultimately culminating in disappointment.

Two straight wild card round losses at home with really solid teams would be pretty frustrating. Honestly, that might be a bit worse than what we've dealt with lately.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Eye

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
Pirates now comparison leader in the clubhouse.
GO WARRIORS!

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
I don't wanna be a Pirate!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
A team that was a consensus 7th place team in the pre-season polling is .500 with two games to go.     The reason this feels more crushing that it should is the number of double digit second half leads blown.   Having a really good record, on the edge of the top 25, safely in the tourney, seems so tantalizingly close and that it has been taken away.     But ultimately, maybe the preseason prognosticators weren't so wrong.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2017, 06:54:52 PM »
I love 'em. Best run team in baseball.

Try not to suck

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 01:27:33 AM »
The rebuild is looking promising and maybe you find a taker for Braun this summer.  And you're not a Cards fan.

Does that help?

No ones taking bruan but an al team for little

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 08:23:48 AM »
Quite frankly, if this season's disappointment is what you think Cubs fans went through before 2016, you'd have never made it as a Cub fan.

When Marquette makes the tournament again, I'll be excited, but I highly doubt that I will be crumpled in a heap on my living room floor with tears streaming down my face like I was when the Cubs won the pennant.

Comparing this season's struggles to Pre-2016 Cubdom is not apples and oranges, it's apples and washing machines.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »
I just meant this single season, not overall.  My apology to the Cubs fans who went through inexplicable pain that I could never feel.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 09:26:57 AM »
Every fanbase but one is going to be frustrated and disappointed at the end of the year.  This isn't unique to MU fans.     In every major sport.   And they rant and vent and stew and insult each other because everybody is waaaayyyyyyy smarter than the coach and could easily have landed the big recruit that got away or developed them better.     And every coach gets out-coached and the officials are biased against every team.     
     If MU had fallen behind early and failed in furious comebacks in those games where MU has blown double digit second half leads, would this season be as frustrating?      After all, MU was a preseason 7th place pick in the Big East.    The lack of size at the 4 is not exactly a surprise.  It isn't news that playing a pair of 5'10 guards next to each other will lead to defensive issues.     If the returnees had all made proportional improvement but the freshmen and newcomers stunk, would it be as frustrating?     Because, as of right now, MU is 17-11, 8-8 and a bubble team, DESPITE everything.     Which, coming into the season, is just about where the majority of posters thought they would be and BETTER THAN the experts thought.     
    So, what is it?     The blown second half leads?     The seniors not stepping up?      The lack of physicality?       MU is about where they were predicted to be.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 09:38:44 AM »
Every fanbase but one is going to be frustrated and disappointed at the end of the year.  This isn't unique to MU fans.     In every major sport.   And they rant and vent and stew and insult each other because everybody is waaaayyyyyyy smarter than the coach and could easily have landed the big recruit that got away or developed them better.     And every coach gets out-coached and the officials are biased against every team.     
     If MU had fallen behind early and failed in furious comebacks in those games where MU has blown double digit second half leads, would this season be as frustrating?      After all, MU was a preseason 7th place pick in the Big East.    The lack of size at the 4 is not exactly a surprise.  It isn't news that playing a pair of 5'10 guards next to each other will lead to defensive issues.     If the returnees had all made proportional improvement but the freshmen and newcomers stunk, would it be as frustrating?     Because, as of right now, MU is 17-11, 8-8 and a bubble team, DESPITE everything.     Which, coming into the season, is just about where the majority of posters thought they would be and BETTER THAN the experts thought.     
    So, what is it?     The blown second half leads?     The seniors not stepping up?      The lack of physicality?       MU is about where they were predicted to be.   

I would be less frustrated if we played to our KenPom ranking more consistently - namely having a better record against those ranked 50-100 would have completely changed the complexity of this season.  From a watching the game perspective the lack of defense continues to be annoying because just a small improvement here would have changed my first statement. 

I personally don't really care what the experts thought pre-season because first off they aren't usually very accurate and secondarily, 2 people have left the team, two freshman are now in the starting lineup and we have now actually played games. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 09:39:34 AM »
I just meant this single season, not overall.  My apology to the Cubs fans who went through inexplicable pain that I could never feel.

Never say never.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
Also my two favorite teams, and as many others said, this isn't close at all.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
I would be less frustrated if we played to our KenPom ranking more consistently - namely having a better record against those ranked 50-100 would have completely changed the complexity of this season.  From a watching the game perspective the lack of defense continues to be annoying because just a small improvement here would have changed my first statement. 

I personally don't really care what the experts thought pre-season because first off they aren't usually very accurate and secondarily, 2 people have left the team, two freshman are now in the starting lineup and we have now actually played games.

So, if we had lost to Villanova and Creighton but swept Providence, you would be less frustrated.   

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
So, if we had lost to Villanova and Creighton but swept Providence, you would be less frustrated.   

No, that is not what I said.

I said that if we played to our ranking more consistently (i.e. played like a team in the 30's).  Clearly there is going to be variability, but our losing record versus the 50-100 teams when predictive statistics call you in the low to mid 30's is a killer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
Looking at the (long) bubble watch thread, it appears that our record against 50-100 is comparable to other bubble teams. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
Looking at the (long) bubble watch thread, it appears that our record against 50-100 is comparable to other bubble teams.

Ok - you asked the question and I responded.  You win?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 10:00:00 AM »
No winning.   I probably just kicked away a late lead.     

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
I don't know. I am not a Cubs fan.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

For me it is the blown second half leads. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »

Yep. And our overall record vs. top 50 and top 100 is better than almost all bubble teams.

feedback