Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Worst ref'ed game...  (Read 5811 times)

1SE

• All American
Worst ref'ed game...
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
I've seen in a long time. Yes we still should have won, and a lot of that is on Wojo - how we can go 7 minutes without a FG with this team is beyond me.

but FFS... it's hard to win when you're playing 5 on 8...
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Worst ref'ed game...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
I've seen in a long time. Yes we still should have won, and a lot of that is on Wojo - how we can go 7 minutes without a FG with this team is beyond me.

Not making a shot for 7 minutes isn't on Wojo.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
I don't know about worst.  But it was weird with the condensation on the floor.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »
I try to never blame the refs but around the 3 minute mark I knew we were gonna lose. No contact on half of those fouls they called for Cartwright meanwhile MU couldn't get a call to save their life.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
Wojo sucks
No Finish Line

1SE

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »
I don't know about worst.  But it was weird with the condensation on the floor.

It was pretty bad, all along, but especially on that last opportunity. Missing either the body/arm on Reinhardt's shot or the Sam undercutting would have been bad. "Missing" them both makes me think the baseline official must have had a parlay on PC making it 4 straight.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
The refs should be walking home. This game shouldn't have been played. Forget the crapty job they did down the stretch

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »
That was a foul on Hauser at the end. Absolute bs that it wasn't called. Regardless we choke yet another game. This team really is capable of making the tournament yet we piss away game after game. So disappointing. Our seniors just aren't winners, our coach is God awful in crunch time situations, and just flat out bad luck. Sucks to be a Marquette fan right now

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
Not making a shot for 7 minutes isn't on Wojo.

We didn't make a FG the last 7 minutes because we started trying to kill clock instead of just running our stuff that got us the lead.  That is on Wojo.

We did a lot of good things (though mostly made shots while they missed them) to get that lead.  If this was an early Big East game, I'd be saying well, there' a lot of positives we can take away from this, but we don't seem to learn anything. 

I didn't think the refs were all that bad or one sided.  I didn't like the call on Hauser at the end, but it wasn't egregious in end game scenario, and it should never have come to that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 05:43:07 PM »
It was pretty bad, all along, but especially on that last opportunity. Missing either the body/arm on Reinhardt's shot or the Sam undercutting would have been bad. "Missing" them both makes me think the baseline official must have had a parlay on PC making it 4 straight.

Agree on the last (MU) play.  It appeared they were determined not to call a foul thinking the clock was going to expire.  BS.  But it happened.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »
Agree on the last (MU) play.  It appeared they were determined not to call a foul thinking the clock was going to expire.  BS.  But it happened.

Hard to see on my choppy euro-stream but while I don't think any of the Heldt/Fisher/Howard fouls were pure phantom calls they certainly didn't seem to rise beyond the level on the continuous no-calls on the other end. Having those three in foul trouble in the last 7 completely changed the makeup of the game. Really seemed like the refs were waiting with the whistle in the mouth to call fouls on those 3.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
We didn't make a FG the last 7 minutes because we started trying to kill clock instead of just running our stuff that got us the lead.  That is on Wojo.

They ran offense that got Hauser a wide open three that he missed, followed by a JJJ lay-up miss.  Providence scored both times down. 

I'm not sure how much of that is on Wojo.  Yeah they were more deliberate, but they got good looks out of their offense.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »

They ran offense that got Hauser a wide open three that he missed, followed by a JJJ lay-up miss.  Providence scored both times down. 

I'm not sure how much of that is on Wojo.  Yeah they were more deliberate, but they got good looks out of their offense.

Those were two key plays. Both good shots that didn't go down.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »

No we didn't.    Go back and look at it, and also see the misses, turnovers. Many missed wide open shots along with some that were forced. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=400919736

JJJ missed free throw.  JJJ  took a shot with double digits on the shot clock, that's not running it down.  Katin missed a shot 7 seconds into the shot clock with under 8 minutes to play. JJJ missed a layup 15 seconds into the shot clock with 5:35 left.  Howard missed a three pointer.

Let's not forget Heldt turnover, Katin turnover, Markus Howard turnover at mid court.  Hauser missed 3 pointer with no one near him at the 2:18 mark.  Heldt missed free throw.  Another JJJ missed layup with 1:58 left (with 11 seconds still on the shot clock). 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

Cat was out of the bag by then.  Those were high pressure shots, which made them more difficult. Hauser, particularly, clutched before taking that three.  I suppose that's on Hauser more than Wojo.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Those were two key plays. Both good shots that didn't go down.

We come back to this time and again. Players not executing in crunch time (i.e. playing with a 12 point lead, on the road, late in the second half, with a NCAA tourney berth on the line) is a coaching issue. To a well-coached team, this type of situation shouldn't faze players anymore than a Sunday pick-up game in the rec. Situational awareness/capacity is a coaching issue.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
We come back to this time and again. Players not executing in crunch time (i.e. playing with a 12 point lead, on the road, late in the second half, with a NCAA tourney berth on the line) is a coaching issue. To a well-coached team, this type of situation shouldn't faze players anymore than a Sunday pick-up game in the rec. Situational awareness/capacity is a coaching issue.

I'm not saying a part of this loss isn't on Wojo. Sometimes players miss good shots. Either one of those goes in and it's probably a different story.

I don't blame Sam for missing a wide open 3 but it was a great shot. That's just basketball.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
Not to mention mismanagement of personnel (there were seriously NO minutes for DW the entire second half?!), and mismanagement of our D.
No Finish Line

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 06:02:33 PM »

Please, enough with the ref's crap. The team sh## the bed again down the stretch. We have seen this movie several times this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 06:02:55 PM »

In part perhaps.

Not to mention mismanagement of personnel (there were seriously NO minutes for DW the entire second half?!), and mismanagement of our D.

Yeah I think DW should have played much more in the second half.  JJJ was pretty awful down the stretch.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »
I'm not saying a part of this loss isn't on Wojo. Sometimes players miss good shots. Either one of those goes in and it's probably a different story.

I don't blame Sam for missing a wide open 3 but it was a great shot. That's just basketball.

Sure, there were a few good looks there, but for the most part, our 7 minutes scoreless stretch was once again a result of "deer looking into headlights, hoping the game ends before the truck hits"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
Sure, there were a few good looks there, but for the most part, our 7 minutes scoreless stretch was once again a result of "deer looking into headlights, hoping the game ends before the truck hits"

Not sure how that is entirely on the coach.

But I guess people need a scapegoat.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »

Tis is what it feels like when you're watching it.  You can just see and feel it happening.  I don't know if you blame the coach or the players, I guess.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »

It's on everyone. And it's a repeated pattern so it's ultimately on the coach but it's not all him.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 06:06:42 PM »

Not sure how that is entirely on the coach.

But I guess people need a scapegoat.

No one is saying this is entirely on anyone. Lots of factors contributed to the loss. But to think coaching plays no role here...?

feedback