Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA Tourney Watch - RPI Historical Reference  (Read 12055 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: NCAA Tourney Watch - RPI Historical Reference
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
Because he's wrong, and facts still do matter (even the non-alternative kind).

Just read TAMU's post - not because he's a wonderful man (though he is) but because he employs actual facts. 2-1, we are a lock.

#actualfacts

Aw 82, you're going to make me blush
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:41:02 AM »
JUST WIN BABY!!!

Win out the regular season and one in the BET and we're in.

More than one win in the BET with a run the table schedule and we're arguing about seeding.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
Few things...

- People tend to forget that two of the top 25 RPI teams last year (Louisville & SMU) were ineligible for the tournament. So this certainly helped contributed to Syracuse/Tulsa getting in.

- There were also 3 mid-major teams (St Mary's, San Diego State, and Valpo) that had RPI's in the 29-31 range and still missed the tournament. And that was even with Louisville & SMU being excluded..

- Take care of Providence on Saturday, and win 1 of the next 3 games (X, Creighton, or 1st round B/E tournament). That should be enough to keep our RPI under 70, and get us in.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
JUST WIN BABY!!!

More than one win in the BET with a run the table schedule and we're arguing about seeding.

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
Because he's wrong, and facts still do matter (even the non-alternative kind).

Just read TAMU's post - not because he's a wonderful man (though he is) but because he employs actual facts. 2-1, we are a lock.

#actualfacts

Can you prove he is either of those things? I mean, we can't just go throwing these types of adjectives around willie nillie otherwise TAMU might start believing it and do less hard work that allows this board to be actually interesting/useful and support my inherent laziness.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »
JUST WIN BABY!!!

I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
Can you prove he is either of those things? I mean, we can't just go throwing these types of adjectives around willie nillie otherwise TAMU might start believing it and do less hard work that allows this board to be actually interesting/useful and support my inherent laziness.

;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 11:52:35 AM »

;D

Selfie

Girls, girls... you're both pretty.  Now can we get back to the matter of wht the f^@k we're even here in the first place?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
JUST WIN BABY!!!

or we can just win the BET

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
The worst RPI of any team that didn't win their conf. tourney to make the NCAA tournament was a ranking of #72 by Syracuse last year.  MU is at 69 approx right now which means they've got to win out in the regular season to ensure a bid.  Historically, bubble teams have RPI's ranging from 50s - 70s to give context.

No. you don't understand how RPI works & is calculated.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
I would like those here that believe it will take MU winning the 3 remaining games to get in, explain what their rationale is for that?? Now I will be the first to admit, I do NOT and never have trusted the committee, so on that basis alone, it may take MU 5 more wins to get in.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
I would like those here that believe it will take MU winning the 3 remaining games to get in, explain what their rationale is for that?? Now I will be the first to admit, I do NOT and never have trusted the committee, so on that basis alone, it may take MU 5 more wins to get in.
Considering how weak the bubble is if we get 2 or 3 more wins i think we should be in but i do agree with you and i don't trust the committee either. We all just want to be in

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 12:36:35 PM »

There are no logical rationale that a 10-8 / 19-12 BE team doesn't make the tourney.  ZERO.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
If the Warriors go 10-8 in BE, and 1-1 in the BE Tournament, they should be in the NCAA (almost a lock, but you never know).

If the Warriors go 9-9, and 0-1 in the BE Tournament, they'll probably be in the NIT (depends on other bubble teams)

Interesting how it all comes down to one or two games over the next two weeks.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »
Girls, girls... you're both pretty.  Now can we get back to the matter of wht the f^@k we're even here in the first place?

+1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »

Well I'm here because daddy loved mommy very much, and daddy put his ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »

I don't believe it, but my guess is the biggest rationale is the belief in the importance of RPI/nonconference strength of schedule.  Even with winning only 2, we're still in the mid-50s for RPI, with a non-conference SOS in the 200s.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »
If the Warriors go 10-8 in BE, and 1-1 in the BE Tournament, they should be in the NCAA (almost a lock, but you never know).

If the Warriors go 9-9, and 0-1 in the BE Tournament, they'll probably be in the NIT (depends on other bubble teams)

Interesting how it all comes down to one or two games over the next two weeks.

Gettysburg, Midway, Normandy, Hue City, i drang, it always comes down to a big battle and a little luck never hurts. Everything that has gone before is just lessons learned.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 05:27:55 PM »

Also not one of those people, but I'm guessing they still think you need 20 wins to make the NCAAs.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
In general I don't trust the committee. So my belief is we need to win out which gets us to 20 plus a BET win that gets us to 21 for Margin of safety. Pure optics. Also winning out ensures a better more competitive resume.   I would feel better with 22 wins but this is an unusual year with the mid majors not being strong.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »
NCAA Checks Its Bracket Math
Experts agree the Rating Percentage Index, or RPI, is outdated. Now analysts and mathematicians are trying to devise a better system for picking the tournament teams

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ncaa-checks-its-bracket-math-1487970103?mod=e2tw

When the selection committee convenes next month to pick teams for this year’s tournament, it will again lean heavily on a 36-year-old formula called Rating Percentage Index. Used since 1981, it attempts to take 351 Division I teams that play vastly different schedules and rank them based on their performance and the quality of their opponents.

Despite numerous tweaks over time, it has faced frequent criticism for being outdated in today’s world of rapidly advancing sports analysis. Unlike more sophisticated metrics, RPI only accounts for whether a team wins, not the margin of victory, and is widely considered to use an overly simplistic method for determining schedule strength.

Changes to this archaic system could be in place as early as next March. To devise alternatives, the NCAA last month brought together some of the most prominent analysts and mathematicians in the college basketball world.

“The goal of this process is to evaluate whether there is benefit to utilizing a composite metric in lieu of what we’re doing,” said Ohio athletic director Jim Schaus, who represented the selection committee at the meeting. “We thought it made a lot of sense to at least make the effort. There was a lot of brainpower in that room.”

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
Going forward,  the committee should simply query Scoop. MU with a #1 seed in Indy. Sounds fair to me.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »
Going forward,  the committee should simply query Scoop. MU with a #1 seed in Indy. Sounds fair to me.

Why would they give a #1 seed to a team that fired their head coach and top assistant at least four different times this year?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »
Syracuse got in with a 79 RPI, because the committee saw something in them and they were right. It does not mean that the committee would see the same thing in MU if they finished with an RPI in the 70's. We really do not know why the committee picked Syracuse.