Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Felony warrant issued for Creighton point guard Maurice Watson Jr.  (Read 17536 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Creighton suspends injured Maurice Watson for misconduct
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
You mean it's sad for the victim at the hands of an alleged rapist.

It's sad for the victim for obvious reasons (have a daughter here, so I can appreciate the anger).

It's sad for the university because their name is sullied because of this.

It's sad for the young man because somehow he did not realize the consequences of his actions.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:58:52 AM »
So TAMU, you're our expert.  Creighton's role at this point is simply full cooperation with the ongoing criminal complaint.  Totally out of their hands at this point, yes?

No. Criminal and school process are completely separate. Creighton has an obligation to investigate and hold their own conduct process....of course, if Mr. Watson is in jail, that process will be permanently suspended. If he were to ever return to Creighton, they would be obligated to resume the process. The other option is that most schools have some sort of student rule that says that students are obligated to follow state and federal laws and failure to do so could result in expulsion. They could enact that rule and all they would have to prove is that he was convicted and then he would be gone.

Of course, this is assuming there are no major changes to Title IX in the near future. DOE just issued a major edit of Title IX yesterday. Didn't impact this area, but its the first time in history that the DOE has ever contradicted a previous DCL on Title IX. Creates a concerning precedent.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
If he was leading them to a 25-3 record rather than sitting on the bench with his leg in a cast things might've been very different with their handling of the situation.

Let's hope not. 

You could also argue that since he wasn't able to play anyway (thus eliminating having to make that decision), what's the big deal about letting him participate in Senior Day?
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »
No. Criminal and school process are completely separate. Creighton has an obligation to investigate and hold their own conduct process....of course, if Mr. Watson is in jail, that process will be permanently suspended. If he were to ever return to Creighton, they would be obligated to resume the process. The other option is that most schools have some sort of student rule that says that students are obligated to follow state and federal laws and failure to do so could result in expulsion. They could enact that rule and all they would have to prove is that he was convicted and then he would be gone.

Of course, this is assuming there are no major changes to Title IX in the near future. DOE just issued a major edit of Title IX yesterday. Didn't impact this area, but its the first time in history that the DOE has ever contradicted a previous DCL on Title IX. Creates a concerning precedent.

I gotcha. Makes sense.  Of course Watson isn't so worried about being tossed out of school right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 10:03:22 AM »
If he was leading them to a 25-3 record rather than sitting on the bench with his leg in a cast things might've been very different with their handling of the situation.

Let's hope not.  I'm glad you used Might've rather that Woulda.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
I'm tired of athletes, politicians, actors and actresses, etc. who think they're important or above da law 'cuz of the completely worthless chit dey get paid for and/or publicity for doin'. Hour society's complete adoration for deez folks is watts sad. Dey all squat like da rest of us.
As for Watson, if da mofo is so damn stupid as to not no wen ta hold it and wen ta squirt it, den he duzzn't deserve the head start and break in life he just pissed down his leg for in an act of a little gratification. Life's a bitch and den ya die. Just tryin' ta keep da pinballs movin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
It's sad for the victim for obvious reasons (have a daughter here, so I can appreciate the anger).

It's sad for the university because their name is sullied because of this.

It's sad for the young man because somehow he did not realize the consequences of his actions.

You and I part ways on that one.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
I'm tired of athletes, politicians, actors and actresses, etc. who think they're important or above da law 'cuz of the completely worthless chit dey get paid for and/or publicity for doin'. Hour society's complete adoration for deez folks is watts sad. Dey all squat like da rest of us.
As for Watson, if da mofo is so damn stupid as to not no wen ta hold it and wen ta squirt it, den he duzzn't deserve the head start and break in life he just pissed down his leg for in an act of a little gratification. Life's a bitch and den ya die. Just tryin' ta keep da pinballs movin', ai na?

That was some der challenging reading but my view on the matter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
Let's hope not.  I'm glad you used Might've rather that Woulda.

Let's hope not. 

You could also argue that since he wasn't able to play anyway (thus eliminating having to make that decision), what's the big deal about letting him participate in Senior Day?

No doubt.  I hope that nothing would've changed, but winning often talks in big time athletics.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 10:18:03 AM »
No doubt.  I hope that nothing would've changed, but winning often talks in big time athletics.

I have more faith in Dan Hendrickson than that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:18 AM »

I have confidence that a Jesuit institution like Creighton would have suspended Watson regardless.

Also, had he been healthy, it's reasonable to believe that he wouldn't have been out at 3am on a game day to begin with.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
You and I part ways on that one.

If he's guilty, I'd feel no sympathy for Watson. However, I do believe that it's a sad situation when a young man who appeared to be a good kid and model citizen commits an awful, potentially life-ruining act.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
If he's guilty, I'd feel no sympathy for Watson. However, I do believe that it's a sad situation when a young man who appeared to be a good kid and model citizen commits an awful, potentially life-ruining act.

Fair enough.  I'll feel sad for his family.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
I have confidence that a Jesuit institution like Creighton would have suspended Watson regardless.

Also, had he been healthy, it's reasonable to believe that he wouldn't have been out at 3am on a game day to begin with.

Careful, not saying they wouldn't have, but one of the reasons they are coming down on this particularly hard may stem from a case earlier this year where they were accused of mishandling a sexual assault claim.

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/unhappy-with-creighton-s-sexual-consent-policy-students-hold-yes/article_38176e06-f545-11e6-addf-87af933c8bb2.html

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:41 AM »
And kudos to Creighton for taking it seriously as well.  There are more than a few schools who would have pulled the "innocent until proven guilty" nonsense regardless of the evidence.

Yes....but the cynic in me wonders that if Mo Watson wasn't hurt would Creighton be stalling on this investigation.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »
Careful, not saying they wouldn't have, but one of the reasons they are coming down on this particularly hard may stem from a case earlier this year where they were accused of mishandling a sexual assault claim.

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/unhappy-with-creighton-s-sexual-consent-policy-students-hold-yes/article_38176e06-f545-11e6-addf-87af933c8bb2.html

Possible, but to be honest, just about every school has been accused of mishandling a sexual assault case in the past 6 years. Its become a part of the process.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Yes....but the cynic in me wonders that if Mo Watson wasn't hurt would Creighton be stalling on this investigation.

Personally, I already think he got special treatment when he was allowed to leave the state.  This morning's article indicates that he's not in custody just yet.  I'm sure he faces a very strict deadline to turn himself in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 10:44:23 AM »

In addition, I think a couple things need to be made clear to Watson's teammates.  First, under no way are they to have contact with the alleged victim or encourage others to do so.  Second, while they may wish to be supportive of their teammate, such support cannot include obstructing the investigation by the local police or University officials in any manner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 10:44:43 AM »
Possible, but to be honest, just about every school has been accused of mishandling a sexual assault case in the past 6 years. Its become a part of the process.

I agree with TAMU here.  Morning regret doesn't necessarily constitute a crime.  But in this day of social media.......

I bet you deal with that all the time.  Hard to judge sometimes for sure.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 10:46:42 AM »
I gotcha. Makes sense.  Of course Watson isn't so worried about being tossed out of school right now.

That's often the rub in these situations. Students have much more pressing matters that they just forfeit their conduct case. For example, I work closely with the conduct office and sometimes serve on conduct panels. Most of the time I end up hearing drug cases (though one time I got to hear a case on a prank involving a hand grenade. That was fun). Students hire lawyers to advise them on both their criminal drug case and their conduct case. The lawyers 9 times out of 10, tell them to plead the 5th for the conduct case to avoid any possibility of it damaging their criminal case. Unfortunately, that means the panel only has the police and conduct reports to consider when making their decision.

But it doesn't really matter I guess, all of the drug cases I have heard where there are also criminal charges have ended up with the student in jail.
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »
Fist degree sexual assault charges aren't a "run of the mill" he said/she said situation that sits in this grey area we are trying to make less grey right now. To bring that type of charge is a serious issue and one would think a significant amount of direct evidence (DNA, medical, witnesses, etc)

I would hope that any university would take direct and overt action in these types of situations as there should be no grey. I would certainly expect Marquette to do so.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 11:17:12 AM »
Fair enough.  I'll feel sad for his family.

Den somewear along da wey, maybe kin shoulda taught 'im wright from wrong, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
And kudos to Creighton for taking it seriously as well.  There are more than a few schools who would have pulled the "innocent until proven guilty" nonsense regardless of the evidence.

Nonsense???   I don't know the details of this particular case, but are you sure you want to throw out due process in the era of Duke Lacrosse/UVA Jackie/Lena Dunham?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
Nonsense???   I don't know the details of this particular case, but are you sure you want to throw out due process in the era of Duke Lacrosse/UVA Jackie/Lena Dunham?

Creighton has every right to limit Watson's ability to participate in athletic activities under its code of conduct. They do not have to meet the "innocent until proven guilty" standard.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »

Creighton has every right to limit Watson's ability to participate in athletic activities under its code of conduct. They do not have to meet the "innocent until proven guilty" standard.

This.

Universities can and should take an aggressive position on their code of conduct enforcement. Just like all students should take an aggressive position on trying to avoid situations that could put you in jeopardy of a code violation of this magnitude.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."