[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[April 30, 2024, 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270233 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »
Probably and no. Discussion over.

Idk.  Now that Ventura is gone that mantle of worst in game manager is available... You could easily make the point that the cubs beat the tribe in spite of Maddon's decision making.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2017, 08:37:30 AM »
Probably and no. Discussion over.

Gets way too cute with his moves trying to look the genius. Montgomery is bouncing baseballs up to the plate against a bevy of right handers and his one move is to load the infield with extra players? Should have put one of those guys behind home plate as the second catcher.

His post-season on-field moves have been well discussed and critiqued. His club management is brilliant. His top step moves are mostly mediocre and way over-managed.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
Idk.  Now that Ventura is gone that mantle of worst in game manager is available... You could easily make the point that the cubs beat the tribe in spite of Maddon's decision making.

He handled games 6 and 7 terribly. Completely let the magnitude of the movement get to him and it annoys me that he still doesn't acknowledge it.

I won't pretend to be familiar with every other manager's decision making. But watching him over the course of two seasons I'm pretty confident he's not the worst or even near the worst. Certainly not the best either.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2017, 08:47:23 AM »
Gets way too cute with his moves trying to look the genius. Montgomery is bouncing baseballs up to the plate against a bevy of right handers and his one move is to load the infield with extra players? Should have put one of those guys behind home plate as the second catcher.

His post-season on-field moves have been well discussed and critiqued. His club management is brilliant. His top step moves are mostly mediocre and way over-managed.

I hope the bolded portion above is sarcasm.

I don't find his in-game moves to be notable one way or the other. Some are vet good and some are questionable. He's also armed with a ton of data that you and I don't have access to. There's been a lot of instances where I've questioned something and the logic ultimately makes sense.

And while he can get cute and overmanage I've seen those moves work as much as they don't.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:48:31 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2017, 09:02:58 AM »
Milwaukee folks keep in mind the Cubs are in town this weekend and stay off the roads when at all possible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »
What I can't figure out is how a bunch of 22 year olds can have the Cubs number like this?  What, 6 out of last 7? Crazy.

I'm not going to worry about it.  The Brewers are a 4th place rebuilding team while the Cubs are likely on their way back to the playoffs.

And just so you know, if it ever comes down to Crew vs. Cubs my loyalty remains with my hometown Brewers.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »
What was with attendance last night?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »
What was with attendance last night?

Btw, the new concessions choices based on MKE and Wisconsin originals and the new club bars are a huge improvement. Brandy Old Fashioneds on tap is interesting. Great craft beers selections. I think around $20 million in upgrades.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:39:38 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »
Maddon certainly isn't in the top half of in-game managers, but as long as Dusty Baker is employed, the title for worst is pretty locked in.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »
Maddon certainly isn't in the top half of in-game managers, but as long as Dusty Baker is employed, the title for worst is pretty locked in.

Maybe my favorite Dusty quotes of all time:

"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me. The problem we have to address more than anything is the home run problem."

"I think walks are overrated unless you can run... If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps. But the guy who walks and can't run, most of the time they're clogging up the bases for somebody who can run."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
Only on scoop would we be talking about Maddons decision making. Won the world series with one of the youngest teams. On a team that hasn't won one for 108 and we give him crap for starting out 4-2?

The cubs are on pace to win 108 games. We're talking crap about his managing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
Da Brew Crew still in it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »

I know you're joking but this would be illegal.  Catcher is the only player allowed to position himself in foul territory.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
Only on scoop would we be talking about Maddons decision making. Won the world series with one of the youngest teams. On a team that hasn't won one for 108 and we give him crap for starting out 4-2?

The cubs are on pace to win 108 games. We're talking crap about his managing.

Nah, that's just outcome bias.  Pretty much everyone was talking about Maddon's decision making in the immediate aftermath of games 6 and 7, and he didn't have great answers.  This isn't giving him crap for the first six games of this season, its a body of work criticism. LaRussa, for example, was pretty much universally panned as an in-game overmanager, and he managed for 33 years and won 3 titles.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »
Nah, that's just outcome bias.  Pretty much everyone was talking about Maddon's decision making in the immediate aftermath of games 6 and 7, and he didn't have great answers.  This isn't giving him crap for the first six games of this season, its a body of work criticism. LaRussa, for example, was pretty much universally panned as an in-game overmanager, and he managed for 33 years and won 3 titles.

For my money, Maddon is the best clubhouse manager we've seen in a long time. He keeps the atmosphere fun and loose but also focused and professional. As an in-game manager, he's only above average. Joe Maddon is very impressed with Joe Maddon and I think that leads to him occasionally trying to get too Maddon-y and overmanage. He likes to get players out of their comfort zones by moving them around in the field and not keeping standard bullpen roles. This doesn't jive with every player's personality but for the most part, the Rays bought in and the Cubs have as well.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
I know you're joking but this would be illegal.  Catcher is the only player allowed to position himself in foul territory.

Yes. The point being was he went an inning too far with Monty (sound familiar?), who was bouncing pitches up to home plate against a group of righties. Instead of putting a righty in there who was warmed up for the next inning, he put an extra infielder (could have been a good move) in play. Instead, Monty throws another one to the back stop to give the game away.

One instance, but his over managing and more so, handling of the bullpen especially, doesn't match his reputation. If the Cubs lose Game 7, he would have been the new Bartman with those moves. Yet...he did win it, or the players overcame him. Worth the discussion...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2017, 12:58:11 PM »

Well, not much of that is true.  For starters, his own players were questioning his management in the WS, so it isn't just on scoop. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »
As a Sox fan, I spend more time and effort for updates on Burdi, Moncada, Collins, Robert, Ohtani, and Beer than anything else. I'd be quite happy to land two of the three between Robert, Ohtani, Beer.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Well, not much of that is true.  For starters, his own players were questioning his management in the WS, so it isn't just on scoop.

You mean Chapman? He was trying to throw heat away from himself. Maddon made great moves in both games. Some people got upset he pitched Chapman so much in game 6 but it was an elimination game. You don't pull your best relief for pitching that has been absolutely shaky throughout the playoffs.

And game 7? Hendricks was never going to go past 5. He was routinely pulled even when he was doing a solid job during the regular season. Lester and Ross were always going to come into the game. Some bad luck where a 55 foot pitch bounced off a catchers mask made it look like a bad move. And Almora's pinch run? Best play in world series history.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:33:33 PM by #UnleashRowsey »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »
You mean Chapman? He was trying to throw heat away from himself. Maddon made great moves in both games. Some people got upset he pitched Chapman so much in game 6 but it was an elimination game. You don't pull your best relief for pitching that has been absolutely shaky throughout the playoffs.

And game 7? Hendricks was never going to go past 5. He was routinely pulled even when he was doing a solid job during the regular season. Lester and Ross were always going to come into the game. Some bad luck where a 55 foot pitch bounced off a catchers mask made it look like a bad move. And Alamora's pinch run? Best play in world series history.

Maddon's Game 7 plan was to have Hendricks go 5, Lester go innings 6-7 and Chapman go 8-9. He jumped the gun when he put Lester in and he did so with a man on base, which is exactly what Maddon said he wouldn't do to Lester.

Pinch-running for a slow runner coming off an ACL tear with one of your faster runners is the best play in WS history? Let's not get carried away. Nearly every manager in baseball is making that move. Almora's heady tag on Bryant's flyout may have been the most important play of the series.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2017, 04:20:36 PM »
As a Sox fan, I spend more time and effort for updates on Burdi, Moncada, Collins, Robert, Ohtani, and Beer than anything else. I'd be quite happy to land two of the three between Robert, Ohtani, Beer.

I think it is unlikely that the Sox get 2 of those.  Signing Robert this session would make it nearly impossible to sigh Ohtani, unless he signs for 300k.  Signing them both next session would be equally unlikely, as they would both have to fit under the cap (8.5 or so), keep in mind the international pool isn't a suggestion like it has been, it is a hard cap.  I'd be pretty happy if they get either Robert or Ohtani. 

Beer may very well be the number one overall pick, I personally don't think the Sox will be bad enough to get number 1 (prove me wrong boys, prove me wrong), top 5 certainly, but teams like the Padres, Reds, Twins (hot start not withstanding) have a better shot at that number 1 pick.

Like you though, the minor leagues are where most of the interest lays.  I upgraded my MLB.tv subscription to include MiLB TV as well.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2017, 04:21:47 PM »
And Alamora's pinch run? Best play in world series history.

This is perfect cub fan nonsense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2017, 04:24:33 PM »
This is perfect cub fan nonsense.

Lol yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »
And Alamora's pinch run? Best play in world series history.

You forgot the teal.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
All of you are a bunch of morons if you think Alamoras tag to 2nd wasn't the play that won them the game.

feedback