collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 269927 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #300 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
My goodness you guys are soft.

I suspect this is much easier to say sitting behind a keyboard as opposed to facing a 90 mph fastball to the ribcage.

And here's the thing ... pitchers sometimes miss their spots. Maybe a pitch aimed at the torso gets loose and beans a guy in the head. You think that's a necessary risk?

As for no one charging the mound with a bat:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:42:42 AM by Pakuni »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #301 on: June 20, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
My goodness you guys are soft. Guys have been plunked for the entirety of baseball history. I never remember anyone charging the mound with his bat.  First off, he'd never get there.  If the benches clear and there's a punch or two, so be it.

But here's what Rizzo will do.  He'll stiffen to take the pain for a second. Then he'll trot to first base working very hard not to limp. Over. Baseball the way it was always played.

Now here's what nobody could condone. You never throw at someone high. Headhunting is never acceptable in the same way as taking your bat to the mound is never acceptable. There are lines.  Too bad we seem to be forgetting that in today's culture at large. (Not to go down that rabbit hole.)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #302 on: June 20, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
It has nothing to do with being "soft."  Gimme a break.

It has to do with simple logic.  The Padres should not be part of the enforcing of the rules.  It's not their job.  Just because it has "always been done that way," doesn't mean it should be done that way.

As is often the case I suppose, we'll agree to disagree.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #303 on: June 20, 2017, 11:44:29 AM »
Well, you all know my position on this.  Been fun guys.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #304 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:04 AM »
Whether Rizzo intended to hurt him is irrelevant. The rule eliminates the need to judge intent. It's simply a matter of whether Rizzo went outside a direct path to the plate in order to initiate contact. Judging by the replays and still photos, it's clear that he was outside the direct path when he collided with Hedges. Hence, he violated the rule.
And, fwiw, the rule's intent - beyond protecting defenseless catchers - is to eliminate the need to plunk Rizzo here. Let the league mete out whatever punishment is appropriate and the Padres have no need to seek their own brand of justice.

Oh I agree intent doesnt matter in regards to safe or out. I was more referring to getting hit or not. If you pull a Chase Utley and slide when you're already past the bag, plunk the dude the next at bat. But if they celebrate too much or its a simple plate collision with no intent, just not necessary to hit someone.

That being said, I do love a good benches clearing brawl.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #305 on: June 20, 2017, 12:01:45 PM »

Official Baseball Rule 7.13 – Collisions at Home Plate
A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate).  If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball).  In such circumstances, the Umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision.

As the replay photo shows, Rizzo clearly is not taking a direct pathway to the plate. He makes contact with Hedges at the top of the batters box, at least two feet above home plate. Had Hedges not been there, Rizzo would have slid and missed home plate. There's no way Rizzo makes contact with the catcher there without deviating from a direct pathway.

The photo is obviously a still shot. Watch the actual replay video. Rizzo does NOT deviate from his path towards home plate. The rule doesn't say that he needs to run directly down the baseline. For whatever reason, Rizzo was running well inside the baseline.

Also, look at the attached screenshot and tell me where Rizzo's path to the plate is.

Personally, I'm not a fan of home plate collisions but I'm also not a fan of player's giving themselves up in an attempt to score a run.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:05:07 PM by MerrittsMustache »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #306 on: June 20, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
The photo is obviously a still shot. Watch the actual replay video. Rizzo does NOT deviate from his path towards home plate. The rule doesn't say that he needs to run directly down the baseline. For whatever reason, Rizzo was running well inside the baseline.

Also, look at the attached screenshot and tell me where Rizzo's path to the plate is.

Personally, I'm not a fan of home plate collisions but I'm also not a fan of player's giving themselves up in an attempt to score a run.

Looks to me like about 86 feet down the basepath the outside of his right foot is on the baseline and his left foot is about a foot towards the mound of the basepath.  It then looks like 3 feet further down the basepath his right foot is about 2 feet towards the mound and his left foot is about 4 feet towards the mound.  That seems like he did deviate from his path towards home plate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #307 on: June 20, 2017, 01:52:32 PM »
Soft is definitely knot a good thin', ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #308 on: June 20, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »
I'm not suggesting the Padres plunk him, and if that's what you meant by "unwritten rule," then I misunderstood you.
And, yes, Rizzo was called out, because Hedges held on to the ball, so there was no need for an immediate call one way or the other on Rule 7.13.

Actually should have been called safe. Ball was never inside of the glove. Only touched the outside.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #309 on: June 20, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »

Your screenshot makes the case against Rizzo. At that point, his right foot is right up against the baseline. At the point of contact (my screenshot), his right foot is about 18-24 inches inside the baseline. How did it get there? He clearly swerved further inside, where the catcher just so happened to be.

I've watched the video several times and it's clear that he steps toward the catcher before impact. To believe that he just naturally ran further inside the baseline, toward where the ball is coming from and where the catcher was positioned, is absurd.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:19:05 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #310 on: June 20, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
Actually should have been called safe. Ball was never inside of the glove. Only touched the outside.

The ball was in his right (throwing) hand, which Rizzo made contact with his left knee. It doesn't have to be inside the glove.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #311 on: June 20, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »

MLB disagrees.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #312 on: June 20, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
MLB rules the slide illegal:

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/report-mlb-rules-anthony-rizzos-controversial-slide-illegal

By the way, anyone with any doubts about whether Rizzo deviated to make contact, check out the first GIF included in the link above.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2017, 02:30:40 PM »

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/report-mlb-rules-anthony-rizzos-controversial-slide-illegal

By the way, anyone with any doubts about whether Rizzo deviated to make contact, check out the first GIF included in the link above.

Couldn't be much more blatant. Even though that is how guys were taught to do it, the rules have changed.

There is no question this was a violation of the new rule.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #314 on: June 20, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »
Your screenshot makes the case against Rizzo. At that point, his right foot is right up against the baseline. At the point of contact (my screenshot), his right foot is about 18-24 inches inside the baseline. How did it get there? He clearly swerved further inside, where the catcher just so happened to be.

It got there because he was coming in at an angle directly at the catcher. That was his direct pathway towards home plate. Yes, we're arguing semantics but that's the way the rule is written. If Rizzo ran from third to the pitcher's mound and then directly into the catcher towards the plate from that direction, that would be his direct pathway. Sure, that's an extreme and ridiculous example but, again, that's how the rule is written. If the rule stated that a runner may not deviate from the most direct pathway, then it'd be a no-brainer. It doesn't say that though.

One of the gifs does show a better angle of how Rizzo did have a path to the plate. I'll concede that point, but I will disagree with anyone who claims that Rizzo should have conceded the out. He's a competitor making a split-second decision. I don't fault him for what he did and I disagree with MLB that it was illegal because of the way that the rule is vaguely written.

End of the day, if Hedges doesn't get hurt, this is all nothing. Rizzo will wear one on the thigh tonight and it'll hopefully all go away anyway.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
It got there because he was coming in at an angle directly at the catcher. That was his direct pathway towards home plate.

So you're telling us Rizzo chose to take a direct pathway toward home that would have him slide and miss the plate by 2+ feet?
Why would he do that? Is he an idiot or something?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »

Still waiting on the stakes that the Cards and Cubs will be ahead of the Brewers at All-Star Break.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #317 on: June 20, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »

Hahahahah

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #318 on: June 20, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »

The first GIF doesn't show anything.  Have you seen a clip of him running from third to home at full speed? 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #319 on: June 20, 2017, 05:00:37 PM »
The first GIF doesn't show anything.  Have you seen a clip of him running from third to home at full speed?

He didn't run to home. He ran to 2 feet left of the plate.

That is a clear violation of the rule.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #320 on: June 20, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

Doesn't show anything? So, it's blank GIF?
I have not seen a clip of him running from third to home at full speed. Do you have one? Have you forwarded it to MLB?
I'm guessing not, but I'm sure it proves Rizzo innocent.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #321 on: June 20, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
Shocking that even after the MLB has reviewed the play and ruled that it was not a legal play the Cubs fans think Rizzo did everything right and that he somehow wound up in front of the plate without deviating from the path that had his foot literally on the baseline.  Was he running in a zig zag path?  If you take the catcher completely out of the play, just simply remove him, Rizzo never even touches the base.  If that's how they're teaching the Cubs to run the bases, I think we've found our answer as to why they've "struggled" so much this season (relative to expectations).  Running the bases in a path that will have you missing home plate does not seem like a successful strategy to me.

This is the exact type of play that the MLB was looking to avoid when they put the plate blocking rule in place.  The catcher plays it perfectly and gets up into the field of play to leave the base path open to the base runner while still being in position to make a tag if the play is there.  Rizzo went out of his way to run over the catcher, and the MLB rightfully has said it wasn't a legal play.  Heck, if Rizzo slides to the back of the plate he might get his foot in there before the catcher gets the tag in as he would have to dive accross the plate/base path to make the tag.  But he went for the catcher and was correctly called out, which one Cubs fan in here hilariously thinks he was never tagged!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #322 on: June 20, 2017, 08:35:07 PM »
Does Hedges have to make a baseball move after securing the throw?

It was a crappy move by Rizzo, didn't want to squander the triple.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #323 on: June 20, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
Doesn't show anything? So, it's blank GIF?
I have not seen a clip of him running from third to home at full speed. Do you have one? Have you forwarded it to MLB?
I'm guessing not, but I'm sure it proves Rizzo innocent.

Yes, it's a blank gif.

What's up your ass?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #324 on: June 20, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
Here's a longer replay. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the one which focuses on Rizzo the entire way

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/06/20/anthony-rizzo-home-plate-collision-padres-reaction-video/

Regardless, the rule is stupid. 

feedback