[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 269884 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1525 on: October 07, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »
Wow, that series turned in a heartbeat. Cubs up 3-1 in the 8th and on the verge of going up 2-0 in the series before heading back to Wrigley, then the Nats explode for 5 runs to take the lead and win the game. Now the series is tied with Scherzer coming to the hill on Monday. All the pressure immediately shifted back to the Cubs.
Eh Cubs still have homefield advantage, Nats have plenty of pressure to actually win a DS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1526 on: October 07, 2017, 08:21:37 PM »
I feel like I'm repeating myself from last postseason, but Maddon made some odd bullpen decisions tonight.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1527 on: October 07, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
I feel like I'm repeating myself from last postseason, but Maddon made some odd bullpen decisions tonight.
I’m ok with them. Players gotta execute.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: October 07, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »
I think Paul Goldschmidt is making a case for some national recognition of his awesomeness.

He is incredible.  His team is finally good enough for people to start taking note.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1529 on: October 08, 2017, 12:14:57 AM »
As a former catcher and Indians fan (and Yankee hater), I hope you can forgive a little hyperbole, but this is one of the greatest plays I can recall.  Setting the stage, this is after the Yankees got their leadoff hitter to second in the top of the 11th (and after a five-run comeback by the Tribe earlier in the game).

Thank goodness for replay.

Lindor clearly taking lessons and advice from his countryman and teammate Javy.  Now if only Baez could get some lessons in return about plate discipline.

Also, talking to my buddy who is also a huge Indians fan, thank god it was Gomes back there.  Perez doesnt make that throw.

Yankees really shot themselves in the foot.  I have no clue why you pitch to Lindor there.  At worst, you walk him and you're still up 4 with 2 outs and you're facing Kipnis.  But no, you pitch to one of the most timely hitters in the league right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1530 on: October 08, 2017, 12:20:55 AM »
Lindor clearly taking lessons and advice from his countryman and teammate Javy.  Now if only Baez could get some lessons in return about plate discipline.

Also, talking to my buddy who is also a huge Indians fan, thank god it was Gomes back there.  Perez doesnt make that throw.

Yankees really shot themselves in the foot.  I have no clue why you pitch to Lindor there.  At worst, you walk him and you're still up 4 with 2 outs and you're facing Kipnis.  But no, you pitch to one of the most timely hitters in the league right now.

Huh?  You pitch to him because the bases are loaded and you don't want to walk in a run in a 5 run baseball game.  They literally had no option but to pitch to Lindor.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1531 on: October 08, 2017, 09:16:13 AM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1532 on: October 08, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »
Huh?  You pitch to him because the bases are loaded and you don't want to walk in a run in a 5 run baseball game.  They literally had no option but to pitch to Lindor.

Yeah, the problem was not challenging the prior play which would have resulted in an inning ending K.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: October 08, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »

Agreed. The lefty was ready but he let RHP Edwards face Harper then let LHP Montgomery face Zimmerman instead of bringing in Davis. It wasn't Joe's best night but unlike Game 7, his players didn't bail him out this time.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: October 08, 2017, 11:29:07 PM »

You sacrifice a run to face a player who bats .230 and has significantly less output in all major hitting categories than an All Star.  Don't talk like I'm a moron, its not a preposterous thought with a 5 run lead.  Used to happen with Bonds.  I'd do it with Stanton in that situation.  Same with Ramirez if it had been 2 batters later. 1/2/3 run game, completely different story.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1535 on: October 09, 2017, 06:38:55 AM »
You sacrifice a run to face a player who bats .230 and has significantly less output in all major hitting categories than an All Star.  Don't talk like I'm a moron, its not a preposterous thought with a 5 run lead.  Used to happen with Bonds.  I'd do it with Stanton in that situation.  Same with Ramirez if it had been 2 batters later. 1/2/3 run game, completely different story.

It is 100% preposterous.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1536 on: October 09, 2017, 07:06:33 AM »
It is 100% preposterous.

This is correct.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1537 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »

I love Lindor, but I've got to admit I've never really considered him one to compare with Bonds.

With the benefit of hindsight, you're correct, of course. But I really don't think Lindor is in the category of players you walk with the bases loaded...bringing the tying run to the plate.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1538 on: October 09, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
Don't talk like I'm a moron, its not a preposterous thought with a 5 run lead.  Used to happen with Bonds.  I'd do it with Stanton in that situation.  Same with Ramirez if it had been 2 batters later. 1/2/3 run game, completely different story.

An intentional walk with the bases loaded has happened 5 times in the history of baseball.  Once was with Bonds, (by Buck Showlater and the D-Backs in '98). It also happened to Josh Hamilton in '08.  The other 3 are before 1945.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: October 09, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
An intentional walk with the bases loaded has happened 5 times in the history of baseball.  Once was with Bonds, (by Buck Showlater and the D-Backs in '98). It also happened to Josh Hamilton in '08.  The other 3 are before 1945.

FWIW, I never suggested an intentional walk.  More giving him nothing to hit.  But fair enough.  Bringing up Bonds confused that point, I'll admit that.

Either way, screw the AL East.  Screw both of their stupid short walls in right field.  Hope the Astros get their groove back and the Indians have Bauer on point again.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1540 on: October 09, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »
Agreed. The lefty was ready but he let RHP Edwards face Harper then let LHP Montgomery face Zimmerman instead of bringing in Davis. It wasn't Joe's best night but unlike Game 7, his players didn't bail him out this time.

I was and am still ok with Edwards facing Harper.  Lind got a lucky hit and Edwards made a horrible pitch.  I'm less ok with the decision to keep Montgomery in (although he does generate a ton of ground ball and I believe he is split neutral). 

The problem was that because Martin, Lackey, and Wilson all made the roster, the only right handed option was Davis.  That would have been a nice spot for Rondon and I think leaving him off the roster was questionable.   

If Martin is on the roster for speed and defense, why wasn't he playing LF in place of Zobrist in the 8th?  He may have actually had a shot at Zimmerman's HR. 

Very frustrating but just have to move on. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1541 on: October 09, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
I was and am still ok with Edwards facing Harper.  Lind got a lucky hit and Edwards made a horrible pitch.  I'm less ok with the decision to keep Montgomery in (although he does generate a ton of ground ball and I believe he is split neutral). 

The problem was that because Martin, Lackey, and Wilson all made the roster, the only right handed option was Davis.  That would have been a nice spot for Rondon and I think leaving him off the roster was questionable.   

If Martin is on the roster for speed and defense, why wasn't he playing LF in place of Zobrist in the 8th?  He may have actually had a shot at Zimmerman's HR. 

Very frustrating but just have to move on.

I'm really surprised they kept Wilson over rondon. Wilson hasn't had many decent outings since joining the cubs.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: October 09, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
Can't lie.  I don't really get the usage of Sale and Verlander here.  If this was the plan why weren't they just the starters?  The managers had to be hoping for magic from Porcello and Morton, I guess. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1543 on: October 09, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
Two words:  Bill Murray.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
Cubs did everything possible to lose that game.  4 errors, terrible baserunning, no hits for 6 innings, and the Nats still can't win.  They are just a terrible postseason team.

Great start by Q.  Not surprised he got a ND.  But a great start. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: October 09, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »
Can't lie.  I don't really get the usage of Sale and Verlander here.  If this was the plan why weren't they just the starters?  The managers had to be hoping for magic from Porcello and Morton, I guess.

Verlander was completely bizarre.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »
Verlander has not pitched in relief since high school.    He is a creature of habit.    And if you have ever watched Verlander on a regular basis, you know that his first inning is frequently his roughest inning, then he figures out what is working and ends up going 7 and giving up only the two runs from his first inning.    Bringing him into relieve is a classic case of overthinking things.     Go with the bullpen that has gotten you this far.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: October 09, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
Cubs did everything possible to lose that game.  4 errors, terrible baserunning, no hits for 6 innings, and the Nats still can't win.  They are just a terrible postseason team.

Great start by Q.  Not surprised he got a ND.  But a great start.

Incredible performances by Hendricks and Q to counter otherworldly stuff from Strasburg and Scherzer.  This team just doesn't give up or go away.  So much fun to watch.  Schwarber has not improved in any way in LF.  He did about 4 basic outfielder things wrong on that horror show.  Thank god for the Cubs depth.  Just tremendous. 

Roark is slated to go tomorrow.  Nats fans can't be excited about that.  Arrieta-Strasburg would be AWESOME.  Maybe you start Roark with a quick leash and Strasburg right behind him.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: October 10, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »

I get Sale for the Red Sox, as they were low on options after blowing through the bullpen in the first three games and it was win or go home, but Verlander surprised me, at least that they didn't wait to put him in at the beginning of an inning.  Pretty safe for them to use him up since they also had Keuchel ready to go in a game 5 on regular rest.  I wasn't really watching the Cubs game but I flipped to it the inning they pulled Scherzer.  That was the most baffling decision to me.  The guy is pitching a no-hitter for 6 1/3 and finally gives up a hit and they pull him for a guy with a 5.88 ERA?  And nobody seems to be talking about it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1549 on: October 10, 2017, 07:25:31 AM »
The only thing I can think is that Scherzer was coming off an injury.

feedback