[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Majerus HOF  (Read 6181 times)

Eye

• All American
Majerus HOF
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »
Saw something online about Majerus earlier today. Shouldn't Majerus be in the Naismith HOF?
GO WARRIORS!

brandx

Re: Majerus HOF
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:55 AM »
No.

Not. A. Chance. Ever.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:00:07 AM »
If you look at the college coaches inducted from his era, he is a notch below in terms of accomplishments. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »
4/12 times he advanced past the first weekend in the NCAA tournament that's not hof worthy. Great coach after MU and wish we had him for that stretch but not hof worthy
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
I'm not much of an award person.  But I will engage the topic. 

Depends on your definition and criteria of HOF worthy.  My criteria would be different than some others.  Majerus coached at some of the toughest places to win at the times he was there.  He was never overly interestd in coaching a big high profile program.  But the success he had at the places he was at ...?.....very strong.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:57 AM »
He was considered by his peers for having top five knowledge of the game. Highly respected by his peers and they know better than any of us.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
He was considered by his peers for having top five knowledge of the game. Highly respected by his peers and they know better than any of us.

I'v heard this too, but unfortunately, that doesn't always translate into the same level of respect from those outside the coaching circle. I assume Majerus will always be remembered fondly and spoken of highly but won't really have much of a shot of the HOF.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
Yep. A blast from the Mcguire era. As I recall, he was from Sheyboygan, ai na. Never met a brat he did not like.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
I was grade school friends with his godfather's grandson.  My friend always got to go to Rick's camp at Cardinal Stritch for free and got to take a friend along.  I got to go for free twice.  One year I won "Best Passer" and the other I won "Most Improved Player."  I think Ners won "MVP" both years.  He sent me a letter when he was coaching at Utah, so I guess you could say he recruited me to Utah.  He backed off when Ners showed interest, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
He belongs in the Utah and (maybe) SLU Halls of Fame.  He makes it in as part of the team picture for the 1977 Championship team in the MU HOF.  That is all, and that is enough.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Question:  Was he run out after his 3 seasons as head coach, or did he decide to leave for Ball State?  (seems like a no-brainer to me, but have no idea what the circumstances were).

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
I was grade school friends with his godfather's grandson.  My friend always got to go to Rick's camp at Cardinal Stritch for free and got to take a friend along.  I got to go for free twice.  One year I won "Best Passer" and the other I won "Most Improved Player."  I think Ners won "MVP" both years.  He sent me a letter when he was coaching at Utah, so I guess you could say he recruited me to Utah.  He backed off when Ners showed interest, though.

Ya didn't get da Riley Crean MVP trophy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 02:02:20 PM »

Ya didn't get da Riley Crean MVP trophy, hey?

Still one of the most outrageous moments in the long, shameful tenure of the Bronze Beast.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »

This is all sorts of good stuff in here.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »
Slam dunk.  Dale Brown is in for god's sake.  Three F2s as a coach.  Top tactician and match up strategist.  No one could explain every nuance of the game like Rick.  Broadcaster and college hoops champion.  Made the post season at four different schools. Still the winningest coach in MU's history. Graduated kids.  His heart was as big as his appetite.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:43:13 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Question:  Was he run out after his 3 seasons as head coach, or did he decide to leave for Ball State?  (seems like a no-brainer to me, but have no idea what the circumstances were).

He felt a lot of pressure and left to be a Bucks assistant for a year. Took the Ball State job the next year.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 03:14:08 PM »

He didn't go right to Ball St. He coached in the NBA for a year under Don Nelson before returning to the college game.

He was not run off at MU.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
He quit in the summer and has not run out. That said, there was not folks fighting with him to stay. Best decision in Rick's life and I 100% enjoyed watching his success. One of my favorite people of all time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »
Still the winningest coach in MU's history.

Really? Are we gonna start counting wins as an assistant?

I'm a big fan of Majerus and (channeling my inner chicos) I knew him quite well. But c'mon!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
Thank you Vinnie and Lenny, I forgot about his time with the Bucks.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
Really? Are we gonna start counting wins as an assistant?

I'm a big fan of Majerus and (channeling my inner chicos) I knew him quite well. But c'mon!

Rick was an integral part of a dynasty.  Why shouldn't his assistant numbers also be considered in his total body of work for the HOF?  Should we dismiss Denny Crum's work at UCLA where he was Wooden's assistant from 1963-1971?  Btw, Rick's career head coach winning percentage was .706 (with 517 wins) versus Crum's .696.

So, if the criteria is to exclude the body of work as an assistant, please start the petition to drum Tex Winter out.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
Adding...
Coach: A coach must be either fully retired for four full seasons or, if still an active coach, have coached as either a fulltime assistant or head coach on the high school and/or college and/or professional level for a minimum of 25 years. That person will then be considered for Enshrinement in the sixth year of retirement or 26th year of active coaching.

http://www.hoophall.com/about/about-hall/our-mission/election-process/

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
Rick is 100% a HOFer.  Especially if coaches have a say.  Tremendous respect for him within the profession.  Rick was a lot like Al & Buzz.  He knew how to take "squirmy" kids, get them to buy in and have them be better players and PEOPLE for it. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 12:28:40 AM »
Majerus is a Hall of Fame coach. He coached at a high level at 4 different programs . He was able to get max potential out of his players and was a very good recruiter.

If Dwayne Johnson would have remained academically eligible , Majerus final team at MU would have likely made the NCAA Tournament and he may have never left.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 02:26:44 AM »
Majerus is a Hall of Fame coach. He coached at a high level at 4 different programs . He was able to get max potential out of his players and was a very good recruiter.

If Dwayne Johnson would have remained academically eligible , Majerus final team at MU would have likely made the NCAA Tournament and he may have never left.

Johnson wouldn't have been around for Majerus' final season. He was a frosh in 81-82, and played 82-83 and 83-84. Had he remained eligible, he would have played the 84-85 season.

Majerus final season was 85-86.