Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke the last 6 games  (Read 4855 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke the last 6 games
« on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:04 AM »
14.3 PPG, 8.3 RPG on 70% shooting.   Coincidentally, this is when Mr. Sand Knit has been his most critical.    So, Mr. S-K, why the vitriol?    Why the deep dislike of Luke?     We all recognize that he is not a good defender in space and that the current man scheme does not do him any favors.    We have also seen that he can be effective on defense when he stays near the basket.     7 blocks?   Of the problems that this team has, Luke is down the list.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Luke the last 6 games
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
Maybe Mr. S-K is actually Matt Heldt lobbying for more time.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:13:42 AM »
Which is even more puzzling that the team goes away from him the last 4 minutes of the game.  Without going back and looking, I am not sure that LF even had a touch the last 5 or 6 possessions of the Butler game.  I don't understand that.  If Wojo is stating that LF is a focal point of our offense, and he is having a fantastic game against Butler--drawing the double and kicking out.........why are KR, AR, and JJ chucking it up without a paint touch late in the game?  Sealed the BU victory.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
Hero ball. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »
Which is even more puzzling that the team goes away from him the last 4 minutes of the game.  Without going back and looking, I am not sure that LF even had a touch the last 5 or 6 possessions of the Butler game.  I don't understand that.  If Wojo is stating that LF is a focal point of our offense, and he is having a fantastic game against Butler--drawing the double and kicking out.........why are KR, AR, and JJ chucking it up without a paint touch late in the game?  Sealed the BU victory.

Chuckers gonna chuck.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
Luke has played extremely well over the past month and very happy to see it. We should pound the ball down to him until the other team stops him. The baby hook is very difficult shot to defend.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 08:58:35 AM »
Well I think the hero ball is a little overplayed.  After Luke put us up two with 8:46 to go, here are the shots we took.

7:05 - Howard layup blocked
6:35 - Luke missed layup
5:56 - JJJ missed jumper, Luke rebound and make
5:06 - Luke missed two FTs
4:26 - Howard made 3
2:41 - JJJ missed jumper, Luke rebound fumbled out of bounds
1:56 - Howard missed 3 when down 4
1:18 - Katin missed 3 when down 6

By then it was over.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
Luke has been playing much better lately.  Part of it is he has been able avoid fouls which in turn has allowed him to get into the game and play more aggressively on D.  There has been a noticeable reduction of the time Luke spends out by the 3 point line hedging screens.  I don't know why he has FINALLY be able to stay more in the paint but it clear that he is much more effective there and less foul prone.  I'm hoping that this is a scheme that Wojo has come up with that will keep him there for the most part and not just the result of some favorable matchup in the last few games.  Now if we could just get the outside shooting back to where it was earlier in the year we'd have a decent team.

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
the last 6 don't matter, its the next 6 you need to focus on.
Fear makes you dumb.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
the last 6 don't matter, its the next 6 you need to focus on.

Well in the next 6 games Luke currently has 0 pts, 0 rebounds, 0 fouls, 0 blocks in 0 minutes.
So I guess maybe that's why the thread is about his resurgence

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »
Luke has been playing much better lately.  Part of it is he has been able avoid fouls which in turn has allowed him to get into the game and play more aggressively on D.  There has been a noticeable reduction of the time Luke spends out by the 3 point line hedging screens.  I don't know why he has FINALLY be able to stay more in the paint but it clear that he is much more effective there and less foul prone.  I'm hoping that this is a scheme that Wojo has come up with that will keep him there for the most part and not just the result of some favorable matchup in the last few games.  Now if we could just get the outside shooting back to where it was earlier in the year we'd have a decent team.

Reasonable assessment.

I'm a Luke fan, though I realize his shortcomings.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
Many Scoopers think we'll be much improved next year. Hope they're right, but I see a large drop off at the 5 when Luke graduates.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »
Lenny

I agree. I would take a guy like Luke at the 5 every year. He is a very, very solid D1 center and will be hard to replace.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »
Well I think the hero ball is a little overplayed.  After Luke put us up two with 8:46 to go, here are the shots we took.

By then it was over.

Da fuk happened between 4:26 and 2:41!?!  A couple turnovers I assume.  Was that when JJ tried to lazer a pass into the 5'10 Markus in the paint?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
I started a topic on Luke 7 games ago... hi

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=53162.msg888695#msg888695
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
Da fuk happened between 4:26 and 2:41!?!  A couple turnovers I assume.  Was that when JJ tried to lazer a pass into the 5'10 Markus in the paint?

Only one turnover by JJJ - I think you are right about that dumb pass.

Butler also had an extra long possession in there aided by an offensive rebound.  No points though.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »

Only one turnover by JJJ - I think you are right about that dumb pass.

Butler also had an extra long possession in there aided by an offensive rebound.  No points though.

Ahh yeah, that's right. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »
As much a call out to Sand-Knit to justify his position as anything. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
I was critical of Luke at the start of the conference season...no complaints now.  He is playing at a high level - blocking shots again - playing better all around defense - stronger on offense. 

Looks like a senior - way to be a leader Luke!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:42:58 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »
Jay Bee

Good call on Luke. Not everyone knows D1 ball on here so be patient with some of the folks.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
I've been critical of Luke in the past.  Lately, he has been an absolute beast.  Awesome job.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »

By then it was over.
From what I've seen or maybe is just me, but once we are able to get it to Luke inside and he starts being effective teams start doubling him and pressing our guard heavy. Don't know why but the ball handler is unable to make the right pass an ends up making a lazy pass to the wing that becomes a turnover (JJJ has had like 3), try to force a pass to Luke while he is fronted or doubled team and if he is able to catch it he is out of position, or they try to penetrate and get their shot blocked by what becomes a double or triple team. We have not mastered passing the ball on the perimeter well.
Goal is National Championship

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
I feel luke played fine last game.  His defense was abyssmally horribly but i guess on this board that is accepted as fine. My issue last game with his play during winning time.  As was documneted, missed layup, 2 missed fts, another layup missed due to the fumble.  He has not been a good finisher over the years.... When the going has gotten tough during winning time he has disappeared.  Great kid im sure but the missed dunks layups and fts during winning time has been a constant over the years.  Seton hall game, last years depaul meltdown etc have been an unfortunate constant, georgetown game last year has been the only exeption.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »
I feel luke played fine last game.  His defense was abyssmally horribly but i guess on this board that is accepted as fine. My issue last game with his play during winning time.  As was documneted, missed layup, 2 missed fts, another layup missed due to the fumble.  He has not been a good finisher over the years.... When the going has gotten tough during winning time he has disappeared.  Great kid im sure but the missed dunks layups and fts during winning time has been a constant over the years.  Seton hall game, last years depaul meltdown etc have been an unfortunate constant, georgetown game last year has been the only exeption.

There is definitely some truth to this. Hopefully he grabs the bull by the horns here. Seniors have been known to do that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
There is definitely some truth to this. Hopefully he grabs the bull by the horns here. Seniors have been known to do that.

Though recently for us, not so much. Gardner and Jamil in 2014, Carlino, Derrick, and Juan in 2015 (though with their limited ability they did what they could), and I believe last season our seniors only accounted for ONE point all season long! (Thanks, Mache!  >:( )

;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback