[Today at 08:14:56 AM]

2024-25 Roster by tower912
[Today at 07:04:54 AM]

NM by rocket surgeon
[Today at 05:46:50 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We own Allstate  (Read 6223 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: We own Allstate
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »
The defense wasn't terrible today.  I mean, it wasn't great either.  It was sufficient.

That's pretty much the best we can hope for I think.

Ya tho its still bad , depaul shot 47% and out rebounded us.  Thats not good
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »
Struggle to score 60 yet average 70.  They're good at struggling I guess.

Depaul scored 70 or more points a grand total of two times this year in BE play.  Both times 73. Today the scored 79.  Them is the facts.  Our defense is really bad
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
Depaul scored 70 or more points a grand total of two times this year in BE play.  Both times 73. Today the scored 79.  Them is the facts.  Our defense is really bad

DePaul gave up 90 for the first time in BE play today.  They have given up 80+ four times in BE play - twice to Marquette. 

I'm not saying the defense is great by any stretch, but sometimes it really doesn't matter.  I'd like to see what the PPP stats were because I don't believe they were all that efficient. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »

Your exact words were that DePaul struggles to score 60 points. The facts that "them is" is they average 70 points per game. If you want to shift the goal posts to "they struggle to score 60 points in the Big East," fine, we can do that. You're also wrong with the shifted goal posts. They average 67 points per game in the Big East. They have scored 60 or less in a total of 2 games Big East games. Guess who 50% of those games came against? That's right, none other than MU. So no, they don't struggle to score 60 points no matter what way you spin it.

You said they struggle to score 60 points and the fact is they don't. You were wrong. Nothing wrong with it. But then you doubled down on it, and unfortunately for you it didn't change the real facts that you were wrong.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:17:48 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »

DePaul gave up 90 for the first time in BE play today.  They have given up 80+ four times in BE play - twice to Marquette. 

I'm not saying the defense is great by any stretch, but sometimes it really doesn't matter.  I'd like to see what the PPP stats were because I don't believe they were all that efficient.

PPP
MU 1.37
DePaul 1.18

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
PPP
MU 1.37
DePaul 1.18

Thanks.

I used to get these from statsheet.  Is there a free site you got these from?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »
Defense was agin atrocious, depaul struggles to score 60 and they scored 79 today. 
I am against slowing it down n feding the post.  Shoot 3s and get up n down, outscore teams.  If we dont score 90 we dont win. Sad but true

But I bet that every kid on the team knows how to spell "again", "and", "feeding", and "don't".
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
I am going to miss Allstate for Marquette games.  Great WIN!

No kidding.  Getting to the new arena will be a major pain in the ass.  And there is also the fact that it is going to be really tough to find a decent place to hold the alumni pregame party.  The Hofbrau House was great today.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »
No kidding.  Getting to the new arena will be a major pain in the ass.  And there is also the fact that it is going to be really tough to find a decent place to hold the alumni pregame party.  The Hofbrau House was great today.

The Wintrust would have been 84% full today.  With the Hyatt and the new Marriott coming up, there will be plenty of space to hold a gathering.  Plenty of <high priced> parking options too in the McCormick Place garages.

Holfbrauhaus was nice today.  MU did a first class job.  End of an era and a cavern.  Time for a new DePaul identity.  When the promotion budget allows for thumb wresting and plastic eggs on a spoon relay, hosted by a guy in a ringmaster's suite, it is time for a reset.

http://thecollectionatmccormicksquare.com

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:07:18 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 09:12:26 PM »
Your exact words were that DePaul struggles to score 60 points. The facts that "them is" is they average 70 points per game. If you want to shift the goal posts to "they struggle to score 60 points in the Big East," fine, we can do that. You're also wrong with the shifted goal posts. They average 67 points per game in the Big East. They have scored 60 or less in a total of 2 games Big East games. Guess who 50% of those games came against? That's right, none other than MU. So no, they don't struggle to score 60 points no matter what way you spin it.

You said they struggle to score 60 points and the fact is they don't. You were wrong. Nothing wrong with it. But then you doubled down on it, and unfortunately for you it didn't change the real facts that you were wrong.
Sand likes his alternative facts.
Goal is National Championship

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 07:58:50 AM »
For all of you who are fond of bitching about the crappy attendance of Marquette students, I took a picture of the DePaul student section.  This was less than a minute before tipoff:

Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
The Wintrust would have been 84% full today.  With the Hyatt and the new Marriott coming up, there will be plenty of space to hold a gathering.  Plenty of <high priced> parking options too in the McCormick Place garages.

Holfbrauhaus was nice today.  MU did a first class job.  End of an era and a cavern.  Time for a new DePaul identity.  When the promotion budget allows for thumb wresting and plastic eggs on a spoon relay, hosted by a guy in a ringmaster's suite, it is time for a reset.

http://thecollectionatmccormicksquare.com

There will be options, just not many options that fit very well with a Saturday afternoon college basketball game.  Few will be interested in dropping $100 extra to park/pregame.  The Marquette events that surround the annual DePaul game have been very successful in recent years.  Certainly not anyone's fault but that's going to be very hard to replicate going forward.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
There will be options, just not many options that fit very well with a Saturday afternoon college basketball game.  Few will be interested in dropping $100 extra to park/pregame.  The Marquette events that surround the annual DePaul game have been very successful in recent years.  Certainly not anyone's fault but that's going to be very hard to replicate going forward.

McCormick parking is $19 (I am sure it will be higher by then). The new Green Line stop will be two blocks away.  Motor Row is the targeted entertainment district right there that needs to redevelop and will when the arena opens.

The B&G reception was $30 with a shuttle bus to Allstate and validated parking yesterday. What's the cost per person for the shuttle versus the cost of parking divided by 3 or 4?  I am sure MU will still have plenty of catered event options at $30 per person nearby, including inside Wintrust.

DePaul needs a reset.  Rosemont isn't too convenient either, and All State's concessions are mediocre and the floor layout so so for hoops.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »
McCormick parking is $19 (I am sure it will be higher by then). The new Green Line stop will be two blocks away.  Motor Row is the targeted entertainment district right there that needs to redevelop and will when the arena opens.

The B&G reception was $30 with a shuttle bus to Allstate and validated parking yesterday. What's the cost per person for the shuttle versus the cost of parking divided by 3 or 4?  I am sure MU will still have plenty of catered event options at $30 per person nearby, including inside Wintrust.

DePaul needs a reset.  Rosemont isn't too convenient either, and All State's concessions are mediocre and the floor layout so so for hoops.

The reception was $25 if you signed up early enough  ;D and included a a really good lunch buffet.  Glow and I spoke to a couple of members of Advancement there, and finding a comparable option near the new venue is a real concern of theirs.  Let's hope they don't have to resort to generic hotel ballroom food.  Also, I would guess that at least 75% of Marquette alums live closer to the Allstate than to the new place.  A lot of them were Southsiders as kids, but not now.

Like every other big public project in Chicago, this arena benefits the special interests of those involved in its construction and operation as to opposed to what was best for the taxpayers and users of the facility.

My prediction is that even if the new venue increases attendance from DePaul fans, the attendance for the DePaul-Marquette game will decrease, especially after the first year.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
The reception was $25 if you signed up early enough  ;D and included a a really good lunch buffet.  Glow and I spoke to a couple of members of Advancement there, and finding a comparable option near the new venue is a real concern of theirs.  Let's hope they don't have to resort to generic hotel ballroom food.  Also, I would guess that at least 75% of Marquette alums live closer to the Allstate than to the new place.  A lot of them were Southsiders as kids, but not now.

Like every other big public project in Chicago, this arena benefits the special interests of those involved in its construction and operation as to opposed to what was best for the taxpayers and users of the facility.

My prediction is that even if the new venue increases attendance from DePaul fans, the attendance for the DePaul-Marquette game will decrease, especially after the first year.

I wouldn't call the Hofbrauhaus food a culinary wonder, although the food and supply was far superior than last year. True about the majority of the alums yesterday being from the burbs, but there was also a large contingent on a Lamer bus from MKE. There were at least three student buses that never made it to Hafbrauhaus.

If you noticed the few 30 and unders from the city stayed at the bar and ordered directly there (and beer). Next year, they will be the ones showing up as Rosemont is not easy or convenient for them. A Green Line stop will be added. If MU wants a like, exclusive venue, Tommy Guns is two blocks away. Kroll's 2.5 blocks for friend meet ups.  Motor Row Brewing is a block away.

Honestly, this is no different than going to a Bears game.  Hopefully the I55 reconstruction will be over by then. Annoyance factor will be game start time and Chicago traffic.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »
In all the posts I didn't see this stat: Yesterday's offensive efficiency of 137.2 was the most efficient conference game in the Wojo era, and the best in conference since Providence (138.7) in 2009-10. We should take time to enjoy this offensive laser light show. Pomeroy has a 85% correlation of eFG% to our offensive efficiency.  Our eFG% was 71.1% yesterday.

Defense is just a repressed memory.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »
I would've went with In Good Hands at Allstate, but that's just me. I watched the game late last night. Thoughts...

• Fischer was a beast. Don't care if DePaul has no big, he asserted himself on both ends. 7 blocks is huge. Studly, even.
  • Loved how Rowsey just took over for stretches. He's so fun to watch.
  • This team takes such good shots. Last year and for many years, I would wince at bad shot choices. This year, I rarely feel that way. Offensive IQ is the highest we've had in a long time.
  • Heldt gave solid minutes, though again, DePaul is weak inside. We're better when he can give 10-15 minutes.
  • Liked how any time DePaul tried to come back, we had an answer. Don't think they ever made it a one possession game in the second.
  • We looked good, but DePaul can make a lot of teams look good. They also made life tough on Villanova, Butler, Georgetown, and Providence. It was a solid, decisive win.
  • Bring on Butler. Hopefully we're refocused.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
One thing I have noticed about this team is that our offense affects our defense. If shots are falling, we play energized on defense. If shots are clanking, we look a little dejected on defense. This of course makes it hard to come from behind or stop an opponents run.

Got to change the psychology on this. Players should be mad when they miss a shot and look to make up for it on defense. I'm glad we have a player like John coming in who had been quoted saying that he's a defense first player multiple times.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »
For all of you who are fond of bitching about the crappy attendance of Marquette students, I took a picture of the DePaul student section.  This was less than a minute before tipoff:

Phew. Thank God we get better student attendance than DePaul.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »
One thing I have noticed about this team is that our offense affects our defense. If shots are falling, we play energized on defense. If shots are clanking, we look a little dejected on defense. This of course makes it hard to come from behind or stop an opponents run.

Got to change the psychology on this. Players should be mad when they miss a shot and look to make up for it on defense. I'm glad we have a player like John coming in who had been quoted saying that he's a defense first player multiple times.

They will need to play better D next year as the O will not be.  Losing 3 scorers will hurt.  Luke plays some D but Reinhardt and Johnson are weak links on the D end.
Not sure about Cain as he will be a freshman, but Anim has the body to play D, not skinny at all.  Depending on Wilson,  he should start but if he does not, Anim has
a chance to start.  So if it is Anim and Cheatham, there alone they do not have the offensive skills of the departing seniors.   In the middle,  not sure if MU is improving
there or not.  Have 3 or 4 bodies, hope someone is better than Heldt.  He is a fine back-up, not sure ever a starter.  Like to see one grad transfer, either a small forward or 2 guard.  Wojo has done a good job getting transfers.  They need a scorer at those 2 positions.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »

Yes and? Our defense has been bad all year. We know this

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »

My freshman or sophomore year, (I cant remember exactly) me and a few other people went to the Depaul game and we had wristbands for the student section.

Right before tipoff, the assistant athletic director from Depaul came up to us and kicked us out, but as he was doing it I went "Why? We actually make your student section look full" or something along those lines. He did not appreciate that.

To be fair, there were almost as many Marquette students in the student section there as Depaul students. Should have let us stay.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2017, 02:47:49 PM »
Losing 3 scorers will hurt.

Losing 3 seniors is always a big adjustment. JJJ, Fish and Katin account for about 40% of our scoring. But college coaches deal with this kind of change almost every year. We've got more talent on the way, and may not be done recruiting yet for 2017-18. Plus, we're established at the point position — possibly the most important position in basketball.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 09:58:18 PM »
They will need to play better D next year as the O will not be.  Losing 3 scorers will hurt.  Luke plays some D but Reinhardt and Johnson are weak links on the D end.
Not sure about Cain as he will be a freshman, but Anim has the body to play D, not skinny at all.  Depending on Wilson,  he should start but if he does not, Anim has
a chance to start.  So if it is Anim and Cheatham, there alone they do not have the offensive skills of the departing seniors.   In the middle,  not sure if MU is improving
there or not.  Have 3 or 4 bodies, hope someone is better than Heldt.  He is a fine back-up, not sure ever a starter.  Like to see one grad transfer, either a small forward or 2 guard.  Wojo has done a good job getting transfers.  They need a scorer at those 2 positions.
I think Reinhardt has been much better at D and rebounding than expected
Goal is National Championship