[Today at 08:40:26 AM]

Hurley staying! by tower912
[Today at 07:21:10 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Shooter McGavin
[June 13, 2024, 11:28:02 PM]

Shaka on Thanasis' podcast by Elonsmusk
[June 13, 2024, 03:35:19 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chi Trib: Dwyane Wade Mural a big hit in hometown of Robbins  (Read 4727 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Chi Trib: Dwyane Wade Mural a big hit in hometown of Robbins
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-wade_04jan04,1,5979801.story

chicagotribune.com
Dwyane Wade mural a big hit in hometown of Robbins
Mural a reminder that NBA star Dwyane Wade hasn't forgotten where he came from
By Lolly Bowean

Tribune staff reporter

January 4, 2008

On the day an artist showed up in Robbins to paint a mural on a wall of the local community center, Jasmarihae Ratliff watched the meticulous work and saw possibilities.

She said she appreciated that the mural was a portrait of NBA star and hometown icon Dwyane Wade. But she was also glad to see, for the first time in her life, a painting created right before her eyes. It made her think that she, too, could be an artist.

"I like art, so I like the mural," the chatty and mature 10-year-old said. "I like how it was painted by hand. It inspires a little hope."

The 100-foot-wide, 28-foot-high artwork, commissioned by the athletic shoe company Converse, has been on display since late November, but it's still the topic of conversation in this tiny village. Children talk to one another about it, their parents discuss it and residents often pop into the community center to find out what the fuss is all about, an official there said.

Wade, 25, is a guard for the Miami Heat. He grew up in Robbins but has long been associated with another south suburb, Oak Lawn, where he went to school and was a star basketball player at Richards High School.

Even so, residents in Robbins have long claimed Wade as their own. And in recent years, Wade has returned the favor, making a point of recognizing his struggling, lesser-known hometown.

The portrait on the side of the community center is in shades of black and white and gray and shows Wade from behind, his name and the number 3 prominent on the back of his jersey.

For many in Robbins, the mural is a public declaration of Wade's love for his hometown. Some also see it as a way to inspire local children, and let them know that, despite modest beginnings, they can go on to accomplish great things, said Robbins Mayor Irene Brodie.

"Wade is an outstanding basketball player, but he's also a Robbinite," she said. "I spoke with him some time ago and he said he wanted people to know he's from Robbins, not Chicago or Oak Lawn. I told him I was so proud to hear him say that, because so many people reach success and achieve and allow people to say they are from Chicago. Robbins deserves some respect."

The mural comes at a time when the village, against long odds, is experiencing something of a revival. After years of decline, new houses are being built and new families are moving in. Dilapidated homes are being torn down and an old waste-burning plant is being redeveloped into a renewable energy facility.

The community center at 138th Street and Trumbull Avenue, after being closed for more than two years, is up and running and offering programs and activities. For the first time in years, a new business is about to open -- a Citgo gas station and convenience store.

And then there's the portrait of Wade. Most murals feature images of fallen or long-gone heroes -- civil rights leaders, musicians and artists. But the Robbins painting celebrates an athlete who is still relatively early in his career.

"People feel it's a good thing to show our community this is where he's rooted," said James Coffey Sr., community center director. "Robbins has a lot of success stories, but not many of them come and build a monument. The mural is a focus of attention now. People feel Dwyane wants to make a difference here."

Through his representatives, Wade initiated the mural, Coffey said. The artist and design were selected by Converse and the company paid for the installation. They also made a donation to the community center, he said.

Wade has helped out his hometown in other ways. He's given Christmas gifts to families, helped other families in need get through the holidays and hosts a basketball camp for children each summer, Coffey said. But the mural may be his most public, visible gesture.

"I think he's just proud that he's from Robbins and he wants people to know it," Coffey said. "It's obviously not there to sell shoes -- not enough people see it. The main thing is, it's a testament to our kids of what can come from Robbins."

Even before he saw the mural, Torrino Russell said he admired Wade. But the portrait is a constant reminder.

"He's my role model," Torrino, 10, said. "They want him in commercials, they want him to play. I feel good every time I look at it, like I [have] a shot."

Though she doesn't really follow basketball, Jasmarihae said Wade has become her hero too.

"Even though we don't get to see him in person, we still get to look at him," she said.

----------

lbowean@tribune.com

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

We Are Marquette

skianth16

• All American
Re: Chi Trib: Dwyane Wade Mural a big hit in hometown of Robbins
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:08:07 PM »
that might be the best tribute I have ever seen

skianth16

• All American
Re: Chi Trib: Dwyane Wade Mural a big hit in hometown of Robbins
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:08:52 PM »
do you think I could talk the artist into putting a smaller one in my apartment?

feedback