'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tourney after SJU loss?  (Read 6045 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Tourney after SJU loss?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 09:43:42 AM »
Watt's relevant here is da team's trend goin' forward. It don't matta ta beat Creighton and Nova when ya go all soil yourself against PC and St. Johns. More importantly, can Wojo write da ship? Could get motherfookin' ugly, ai na?

Except it does matter.  Don't get me wrong, we gave back about 75% of the goodwill we gained from the Creighton and Nova wins, but at the end of the day, assuming MU gets to 9 or 10 wins, that Nova game is going to be HUGE in the committee's eyes.  At this point, I am hoping Nova wins out in conference play.  Marquee wins (Nova) and top 15 road wins (Creighton) are two of the main criteria for an NCAA berth.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »
We are dancing on the bubble with cleats.   

fjm

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »
While I am annoyed as hell and have been avoiding Scoop because I will feel worse...

I think 9-9 gets us in as a 10. Even with a BET loss.

Having said that, my goal this season was a top NIT seed.

But damn it we can make the tourney if we focus and stop turning the ball over and even TRY to defend the basket.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
Looking at bracket matrix last 4 in:  Michigan, TCU, Ok State, Seton Hall.  Woof!

10-8 is lock city, 9-9 plus BET semis is probably a lock, 9-9 and BET quarters probably out...but still might be enough given how soft the bubble is.

Beat DePaul, win one more on the road, 3-1 at home...that is my path to the tourney.  2-2 at home and 3-2 on the road is the other scenario.  Both are doable.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
Yes. This team's ceiling is high enough to go 8-0 the rest of the way. Is that likely? No. But our performance tonight has no bearing on how we will perform in the remaining 8.

This team is not capable of going 8-0 the rest of the way.  Zero likelihood.  Too many issues with defense being issue, 1, 2 and 3 before we even talk about rebounding, height, etc.  We had one great game against Creighton.  The Villanova game was fantastic.  Awesome experience to be there and witness that comeback.  The highlight of the last 4 years bar none.  But, it was 7 minutes where darn near everything went right for us and everything went wrong for Villanova and Nova lost that game more then we won it. 

You are correct that 5-3 will get us in the tourney.  I think that is a 50-50 proposition at best.  The only game you can say with certainty that we should win is at DePaul.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
Looking at bracket matrix last 4 in:  Michigan, TCU, Ok State, Seton Hall.  Woof!

10-8 is lock city, 9-9 plus BET semis is probably a lock, 9-9 and BET quarters probably out...but still might be enough given how soft the bubble is.

Beat DePaul, win one more on the road, 3-1 at home...that is my path to the tourney.  2-2 at home and 3-2 on the road is the other scenario.  Both are doable.
Nothing about this team is a lock.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »
Nothing about this team is a lock.

I meant 10-8 would make us a tournament lock, not that going 10-8 is a lock.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »
Stick a fork in them..they are done. They are obviously content with beating Nova as their highlight for this year. No one can say there are plenty of wins left on the schedule...umm, did you just miss the last two games?? You know, the two they lost to freaking PC(at home) and SJU, two of the WORST teams in the BE. Sure, they beat Nova and Creighton and maybe weren't supposed to, but they did..so what?? You absolutely HAVE to beat the teams you are supposed to beat regardless of if you won two you maybe shouldn't have. MU didnt do that these last two games. Should have won 4 straight now..

Ahhh ... all is right with the world.

After we beat Nova, guru was so damn unhappy that he couldn't come on here and tell everybody that the Warriors are done, that Wojo has to go, that all the players suck, and on and on.

But now he is free to show his true (warped) fandumb.

Welcome back, guru. And congrats!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 02:50:44 PM »
Can't lose anymore games we are favored in. If we do that we will have to win against Creighton, X at least once, at georgetown and at home vs st johns

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »
Can't lose anymore games we are favored in. If we do that we will have to win against Creighton, X at least once, at georgetown and at home vs st johns

IF I had to guess:

W @ Depaul

W vs. Butler

L @ Georgetown

W vs. X

W vs. SJU

L @ PC

L @ X

W vs. Creighton

That gets us to 10-8, but shaking in our boots for that final game vs. Creighton. That said, could pretty much see any outcome in any game besides @ Depaul and vs. SJU, which I think we take care of business.  I think we stomp SJU at home. Last night was a perfect storm for them - reminded me of when they played at Cuse earlier this year.   

That would mean sweeping Depaul and Creighton, getting swept by PC and splitting with everyone else.  That @ PC game is going to be huge (well, they're all huge at this point).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
An argument can be made for only maybe beatin' DPaul, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
An argument can be made for only maybe beatin' DPaul, ai na?

Yup

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
IF I had to guess:

W @ Depaul

W vs. Butler

L @ Georgetown

W vs. X

W vs. SJU

L @ PC

L @ X

W vs. Creighton

That gets us to 10-8, but shaking in our boots for that final game vs. Creighton. That said, could pretty much see any outcome in any game besides @ Depaul and vs. SJU, which I think we take care of business.  I think we stomp SJU at home. Last night was a perfect storm for them - reminded me of when they played at Cuse earlier this year.   

That would mean sweeping Depaul and Creighton, getting swept by PC and splitting with everyone else.  That @ PC game is going to be huge (well, they're all huge at this point).

I don't think we beat Creighton twice, even with their issues, but I also don't think we get swept by Providence. In any event, these predictions demonstrate what a good opportunity we have--every game is "winnable" (except perhaps @X). But they also demonstrate that our tourney hopes sit on an effing razor's edge.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »
IF I had to guess:

W @ Depaul

W vs. Butler

L @ Georgetown

W vs. X

W vs. SJU

L @ PC

L @ X

W vs. Creighton

We can beat providence at providence and Gtown

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »

We still have to play Providence twice?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 08:30:21 AM »
We still have to play Providence twice?

No, he's seeing we can beat Providence at their place.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:05 AM »

Yes, we certainly can. But I'm not expecting it at this point.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
No, he's seeing we can beat Providence at their place.

But also saying we can beat Providence at Georgetown ;)

Not sure why they'd put a neutral site game in DC, but I suppose it's not far from where we played Vandy ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
IF I had to guess:

W @ Depaul

W vs. Butler

L @ Georgetown

W vs. X

W vs. SJU

L @ PC

L @ X

W vs. Creighton

I think you have confused wishing with dreaming.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »

You think 10-8 is dreaming now?

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
For me its all about 4 things:
1. The game in front of me.
2. Getting to the Big Dance this year.
3. winning 1 at the Dance this year.
4. winning 2 at the Dance this year.

Maybe if we can get better and compete for a BE title I will care more about that.
I like to think we'll get good recruits and be better in 2020 or whatever...but generally can't focus on that.

The danger of being this way is if we tank at the end of the year...I lose interest...fair weather....still go to games and enjoy a win...but out of it.

I wonder if I need to be a different type of fan....but until then I have to say 5-3 plus a BET win to get to 20 and get to the tourney...Cause that's what its about.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »
For me its all about 4 things:
1. The game in front of me.
2. Getting to the Big Dance this year.
3. winning 1 at the Dance this year.
4. winning 2 at the Dance this year.

Maybe if we can get better and compete for a BE title I will care more about that.
I like to think we'll get good recruits and be better in 2020 or whatever...but generally can't focus on that.

The danger of being this way is if we tank at the end of the year...I lose interest...fair weather....still go to games and enjoy a win...but out of it.

I wonder if I need to be a different type of fan....but until then I have to say 5-3 plus a BET win to get to 20 and get to the tourney...Cause that's what its about.

Won't need a BET win at 10-8 (5-3 to close the year).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
Hearing coach speak from fans feels so inane. The whole "we have to focus on the next game" mindset doesn't apply to us. Planning to cheer for Marquette in the Butler game won't have any impact on their play against DePaul. Just like wearing your lucky underwear or not stepping on cracks in the Bradley Center floor won't change what happens in the game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

We went 5-3 in our first 8 games and that included @Nova, Nova, @Butler, and @Creighton. None of our final 8 games are nearly as tough as those 4. Going 5-3 in our final 8 is not dreaming.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
You think 10-8 is dreaming now?

Yes.  We are wildly inconsistent.  If the inconsistency pendulum is on an uptick then we can play with anyone, if not, PC and SJU.  There's not a guaranteed win remaining in our BE schedule.

feedback