Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Creighton Barreling  (Read 12049 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Creighton Barreling
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
We won, right??
Goal is National Championship

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »
Maurice Watson or not, that's still an excellent team we took apart on their home floor, in front of a packed house.   Creighton still has a lot of talented players, and an excellent coach.  Great job by Wojo, his staff, and players today.  Lot of credit to all of them for bouncing back after a horrible defeat Monday.  Really liked that Wojo obviously emphasized getting the ball to Luke down low early and often.  Set the tone, and opened it up for all our perimeter guys. 

Maybe what happened Monday afternoon they'll learn from, and can be used as fuel for the season's turning point.  We'll see, long way to go, but I'm going to enjoy this one until the 'Nova tipoff.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »
Best win, I think far and away, since W over Miami in 2013 S16.  Last year's Badger win was great too, but they were obviously a struggling team at that point still.  Only win that compares is last year at Providence.  But I think this one was more satisfying, especially coming off Monday's debacle.  They showed a lot of character today in putting that one behind them. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 07:11:55 PM »
Revel in it.    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.     A glorious day for MU. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
In the first couple minutes you could tell someone had lit a fire under Luke's butt. Definitely showed that aggressiveness he had been lacking and it made a big difference. Some nice blocks too!

Why do big men at MU always get this stuff about not playing hard, intense, whatever?  I don't think Luke needed any fire lit under him, his intensity is fine from game to game.  What, because he doesn't go 18/8/6, every night, he's not intense?  Crap on that.  He's a good kid who does play hard.  It wasn't his fault for 1 lousy FG attempt on Monday.  MU made no effort to work the offense through him on Monday, but Wojo and staff did a great job of recognizing that, and pounding it down low to him a lot in the first 10 minutes, which opened up everything the remainder of the game for Rowsey, Reinhardt, Hauser, Howard, JJJ, etc.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Creighton can freakin' light it up on offense.  Fastest team I can remember.  I actually thought our D did a reasonable job.  We play D that well against a normal team and we'll win a lot of games.

Well put.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:20 PM »
Great game by the team - defense wasn't great but the offense sure was.  I think we try to win by getting into a few shootouts from here forward...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 09:56:23 PM »
Last team to score 100 on them at home was Evansville in double OT. 07-08 season.

Last team to hang 100+ on them in regulation was Iowa State in 1993. They scored 107 in a runaway win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
Agreed.  One thing I thought they could do and didn't is, with no pressure, is to hold the ball for 4 seconds before passing it in.  Conversely, JJ twice could have settled for a corner 3 and instead took it to the rim.  So, some bad, some good.

Saw that. Was very happy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »
Creighton had won over 100 straight at home when they scored 80+. Marquette has done good today ladies and gentleman.

connie

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 06:16:38 AM »
Lot's of good points, both + and -.  I am just going to roll around in this for a bit and enjoy. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »
Don't think I've seen a discussion on this and I'll have to break down some tape this morning enjoying a Bloody but I sense we put the ball in Katin's hands to begin the offense yesterday.  Do we think this was an offensive wrinkle that Wojo installed because of matchups? Do we think is was a way to utilize talent slightly differently?  Because I think it can be argued (and maybe proven statistically) that yesterday was one of the best and most efficient offensive games MU has played in a very long time.  Thoughts? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
I noticed it when Creighton went to their 1-3-1.    I think Wojo put his two pint-sized snipers in the corner instead of having them have to try to pass over the top of the Creighton length out front.     Let KR and HC handle the ball out their, pitch down to the corner shooters.   Wow.   Almost like coaching and adjustments.  Nah. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2017, 08:31:11 AM »
I noticed it when Creighton went to their 1-3-1.    I think Wojo put his two pint-sized snipers in the corner instead of having them have to try to pass over the top of the Creighton length out front.     Let KR and HC handle the ball out their, pitch down to the corner shooters.   Wow.   Almost like coaching and adjustments.  Nah.

Wojo had a great game today. (really sounds silly when talking about a coach, doesnt it) There were a couple of plays I remember in the first half, when Katin was hot, they ran that stupid weave play (that I hate mind you) at the top of the key to get him on a slower defender because they were switching everything, and iso'd him to let Katin abuse him off the dribble.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2017, 09:04:12 AM »
Mo was wrong. Don't know how many times he said it when Fox put his head on the screen and covered 1/2 of the screen with it during live game action, but he said (over and over) that he told Zierden if he makes 2 triples they win the game. Well, he made 2 triples and they lost the game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
Mintz was pretty damn good. Not looking forward to playing him the next few years.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »

This is spot on, and what impressed me was how quickly we adjusted to that. Creighton threw out the 1-3-1, and we immediately attacked it. Reinhardt and HC worked it past the first defender and either found shooters (got a nice open 3), then after that I believe HC found a seam in the zone, got underneath the second level, and received a pass for an uncontested drive.

Watching that, I have to think we had their 1-3-1 scouted because right off the bat we had 2-3 really good plays that exposed it badly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Actually, it took two possessions for MU to make a change against the 1-3-1.  I remember, because I was screaming at the TV to call a TO to review with the guys on how to attack it.

But Wojo made the change on the fly, had Haanif and KR up top with Howard and JJ in the corner and they worked it to perfection.

I did see somewhere that Wojo mentioned that they did work on the 1-3-1 in practice, so they were prepared for it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
Watching that, I have to think we had their 1-3-1 scouted because right off the bat we had 2-3 really good plays that exposed it badly.

Agree - it rattled us at first but then we broke it with no TO...led me to think it was part of the game prep.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »
I noticed in the box score that Markus played 24 mins and Rowsey 14. I don't recall a time when neither of them were in. Who was running the point?

I do recall a bit when Reinhardt was effectively running the offense, but Markus was in the game. Anyone remember?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
I noticed in the box score that Markus played 24 mins and Rowsey 14. I don't recall a time when neither of them were in. Who was running the point?

I do recall a bit when Reinhardt was effectively running the offense, but Markus was in the game. Anyone remember?

Haanif played point forward for a bit, but Rowsey was still in the game, they just had him off ball. Maybe he got subbed out after he got his third, they were going offense/defense with Markus and Duane at the end of the game as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »

They got Howard to the bench for the last roughly 1:20 of the first half. He had 2 fouls, Rowsey had 3. Rowsey picked up his 3rd with 4 and change left and Howard had to come back in at that point. Wojo had enough cushion to take both out to close out the half.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
They got Howard to the bench for the last roughly 1:20 of the first half. He had 2 fouls, Rowsey had 3. Rowsey picked up his 3rd with 4 and change left and Howard had to come back in at that point. Wojo had enough cushion to take both out to close out the half.

Thanks, missed that during the game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
Right, the midgets sat, and it was HC, JjJ, KR, Duane, and Luke

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »

Yes; 1:14 to be precise
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback