collapse

* Recent Posts

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MU82
[Today at 09:58:34 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[June 01, 2024, 07:03:02 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Anyone here work at AbbVie or knows someone who works there?  (Read 6848 times)

jutaw22mu

• All American
Anyone here work at AbbVie or knows someone who works there?
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
I saw a couple of sweet jobs advertised there and am seriously considering applying!  Contacts would be useful.

Thanks.

MU82

• All American
Re: Anyone here work at AbbVie or knows someone who works there?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:23 PM »
I saw a couple of sweet jobs advertised there and am seriously considering applying!  Contacts would be useful.

Thanks.

I own some ABBV stock, so at the next BoD meeting I'll put in a good word for you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
What role?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:58:47 AM »
Head female cussicator, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
Everyone I know there has good things to say (many former coworkers there). There are some long hours in certain departments and there is a risk of either acquisition or downsizing once the blockbuster drug Humira goes off patent soon but once you are "in" around there, there are a bunch of similarly highly regarded pharmaceutical companies to move onto right down the street. Would be an excellent opportunity and company to work for.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
Apply, can't go wrong getting into the pharmaceutical industry. I'm 70, retired, and still have recruiters calling.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »
Go work there. Then if the company has a bad quarter, you can say the boss should be fired.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
What type of job?  I am very good friends with someone in QC, and another in sales.
Have some patience, FFS.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
Go work there. Then if the company has a bad quarter, you can say the boss should be fired.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

LOL. I deserve that. I was being a jerko that day.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:15:53 PM by jutaw22mu »

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »
What type of job?  I am very good friends with someone in QC, and another in sales.

There are a few I am interested in....they are all Senior Scientist II level but one is Biochemist/Enzymologist and another one is Structural Biologist.  Would it be crazy to ask your friend to pass my resume along to the hiring manager?

I would like nothing more than to move back to the midwest.  I have been keeping an eye on AbbVie for a while as a possible destination, and it seems like they are in the middle of a big hiring kick at the moment.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »
Sure.  I will PM you with my email address.
Have some patience, FFS.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 08:47:52 PM »
Based on your training you may want to consider this job too, even though it is Senior Scientist I:

Senior Scientist, Protein Biochemistry-1607837

You have a solid background for the structural biology jobs, but they may be pretty firm on you also having computational based drug design experience/fragment based design strategies, which you may not have. 

Sometimes getting your foot in the door can get you to the job you like more.

Sorry I can't help you with contacts at AbbVie, all my contacts in the Chicago area are at U. Chicago and/or APS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »
There are a few I am interested in....they are all Senior Scientist II level but one is Biochemist/Enzymologist and another one is Structural Biologist.  Would it be crazy to ask your friend to pass my resume along to the hiring manager?

I would like nothing more than to move back to the midwest.  I have been keeping an eye on AbbVie for a while as a possible destination, and it seems like they are in the middle of a big hiring kick at the moment.

Kudos to you and using Scoop to network. 

http://www.startribune.com/human-connections-give-job-seekers-a-leg-up-beyond-linkedin-and-other-electronic-contacts/408669605/

This is a great article on networking.   All the people in the article are in my network and are people I respect.  The last person in the article is a long time close friend.  He walks the talk about giving back. 

The real power in networking is kharma. If you maintain yor network, and give back (or pay it forward) it will pay dividends when you least expect it.

Good luck to you in your search.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »
My sister owns a search firm in Chicago that does bulk of its business in pharmaceutical.  PM me if interested. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
Kudos to you and using Scoop to network. 

http://www.startribune.com/human-connections-give-job-seekers-a-leg-up-beyond-linkedin-and-other-electronic-contacts/408669605/

This is a great article on networking.   All the people in the article are in my network and are people I respect.  The last person in the article is a long time close friend.  He walks the talk about giving back. 

The real power in networking is kharma. If you maintain yor network, and give back (or pay it forward) it will pay dividends when you least expect it.

Good luck to you in your search.

I wonder if the mods would consider setting up a Networking section on Scoop separate from Superbar.  In the past, I have thought about starting a similar type of thread to help out glow jr., but it felt a little awkward.

I am sure most of us who are MU alums would bend over backwards to help a fellow grad find work.  I've worked in places where the hiring process is pretty informal, and I have always tried to use my Marquette contacts first whenever I have had an open position.
Have some patience, FFS.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
I wonder if the mods would consider setting up a Networking section on Scoop separate from Superbar.  In the past, I have thought about starting a similar type of thread to help out glow jr., but it felt a little awkward.

I am sure most of us who are MU alums would bend over backwards to help a fellow grad find work.  I've worked in places where the hiring process is pretty informal, and I have always tried to use my Marquette contacts first whenever I have had an open position.

I definitely think that would be a great idea! It would be extremely useful and I would love to be able to someday help other MU alumni (or current students looking into graduate school/summer internships).

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 10:03:48 AM »
+1  I have just started to change the path of my career. Up until now I have always been reluctant to "network" but for the wrong reasons. I have always gone out of my way to help alumni and their family when it came to jobs interviews etc. It is great that folks like to help and most do it enthusiastically. I do think it would be a nice addition to scoop.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »

Wow! A place where we actually help each other rather then yelling at each other. I'll second, third and fourth that suggestion. It's also a good idea to have your CV on sites like LinkedIn, but I'm sure you all know that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
I wish I'd said something sooner, I thought for a long time that'd be a great idea to add to Scoop, kudos to Chick for suggesting. I'm 100% onboard with a Scoop Networking forum.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
Wocky, make it so.  I'll volunteer to moderate.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
Call the forum ScoopedIn.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »
LOL. I deserve that. I was being a jerko that day.

Extremely big of you to say. We all have bad days.

I wish you good fortune in your pursuit of career opportunities.

And I second those calling for a ScoopedIn section for the Superbar!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
Wow! A place where we actually help each other rather then yelling at each other. I'll second, third and fourth that suggestion. It's also a good idea to have your CV on sites like LinkedIn, but I'm sure you all know that.
My sister owns a search firm in Chicago that does bulk of its business in pharmaceutical.  PM me if interested.

Hell, I'd even go so far as to say my MU connections may have played some tiny factor in my wife (not an MU alum) getting a second interview... most recruiters in Milwaukee probably saw her resume with an Illlinois address and sent it to the bottom of the pile.  It seems that as soon as they learned that we were season ticket holders and otherwise involved with Marquette, Brewer SSH's, zoological society members, and gave more to WI charities than elsewhere, etc. they probably started taking her candidacy seriously.

And if not, it certainly didn't hurt.  But nobody is going to convince me that if we had been able to demonstrate connections to Milwaukee sooner it would have made no difference.  Any connection is beneficial, and both she and I are always willing to help.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »
Going to this mini-conference may be a good way to talk to people that are in your direct area of research.

http://www.drugdiscoverychemistry.com/Epigenetic-Ubiquitin-Inhibitors/

There is something to be said for a face to face meeting where you can sell yourself.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »

Thanks.

Have you considered LinkedIn?