Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next year, as it stands  (Read 5537 times)

tower912

• All American
Next year, as it stands
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »
Since there are always going to be changes, this actually means nothing.    However, assuming status quo for next year.....
1.  Markus, Rowsey
2.  Haanif, Duane, Sacar
3.  Hauser, Cain
4/5.   Heldt, John, Froling, Eke.

Good size.   Is Hauser going to be quick enough to guard 3's?    How will the bigs rotation shake out?   Which of the bigs can play a stretch 4 in the 4 out/ 1 in offense?   Which of the young bigs is game-ready first?   Who redshirts?   Lots of interesting pieces.     Looking forward to it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
Re: Next year, as it stands
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
If Froling serviceable at all ( and he should be) I like next year a lot better- BE top 4?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:52 PM »
I can envision a "small lineup" like this:

1-Howard-Rowsey
2-Haanif-Wilson
3-Cain-(Big Daddy said in the recruiting thread that Cain may be a program changer(?)-Sacar
4-Hauser
5-Froling
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:48:06 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:52:24 PM »
I think we've got room for a grad transfer at the 3 or 4. Defense and rebounding are the skills wanted. All others need not apply.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
I think we could take a grad transfer at any position. Adding anyone would just adjust other players' positions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »
Since there are always going to be changes, this actually means nothing.    However, assuming status quo for next year.....
1.  Markus, Rowsey
2.  Haanif, Duane, Sacar
3.  Hauser, Cain

Good size.   Is Hauser going to be quick enough to guard 3's?    How will the bigs rotation shake out?   Which of the bigs can play a stretch 4 in the 4 out/ 1 in offense?   Which of the young bigs is game-ready first?   Who redshirts?   Lots of interesting pieces.     Looking forward to it.
Eke is going to be a formidable player for us.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brandx

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
I can envision a "small lineup" like this:

1-Howard-Rowsey
2-Haanif-Wilson
3-Cain-(Big Daddy said in the recruiting thread that Cain may be a program changer(?)-Sacar
4-Hauser
5-Froling

Lots and lots of offense there.

Defense, tho'?

TAMU is right about a grad transfer - Veteran big body is needed.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »
Lots and lots of offense there.
Defense, tho'?
TAMU is right about a grad transfer - Veteran big body is needed.

+1

Defense always the key...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 12:34:20 AM »
As a frosh?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »
Here are dangers I foresee as next year's roster is currently constructed. 
 1. It will probably have to be the end of the 4 out/1-in offense.  Even if HF loses weight, gains lateral quickness and has skill similar to Henry, he won't play 40 minutes and from what I have heard about TJ and IE, neither can play the stretch 4 role.   Matt? errrrrr......   So either Wojo plays two of the 4 at the same time and alters his offense, or he continues to play smaller, which creates a minutes crunch at the 5.

2.   Defensively, the team will have decent size at 4 of the 5 positions. (Markus, Andrew, start growing)   Because I haven't seen any of the incoming bigs, I am concerned about lack of quickness at the 4.   Will HF/TJ/IE be able to guard a 6'7 forward in space?   Or will it be Luke/Davante part III?   Might we see more zone next year to compensate for a lack of lateral quickness?

3.  How will it work with Haanif and Duane sharing the 2?
4.  Will Wojo choose to go small so that he can get Duane, Haanif, Sam, Cain more court time at the expense of the young bigs?

I'm sure it will work itself out, I just see obstacles and, for lack of a better word, a dearth of switchables which may limit flexibility and adaptability.   

I am not going to worry about minutes distribution or too many players, as these things always work themselves out.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »
I have a feeling this will be our primary starting line-up next year:

Heldt / Harry
Hauser
Cheatham
Duane
Markus

That would get our five best players on the court while still being able to balance size.  I think if you need to go big, you can put Harry and Heldt out there together, but that is going to be a slow footed lineup, especially if you also have Hauser out there.

I think Seth Davis tweeted something over the weekend about how big teams almost always have to adjust to smaller teams, and not vice versa.  I think he is right and that being quick, and having scorers all over the floor, is a better way to go in college basketball these days.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:47:05 AM »
I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and love getting a 6'11, 260 lb big with skills.    However, the way that college basketball is going I would almost rather have 5-6  skilled guys 6'7-6'9 and built and run them out there interchangeably to guard the 3-4-5.   The Brendan Baileys and Joey Hausers of the world, 6'8, skilled, are the future of 4's in college hoops. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:50:45 AM by tower912 »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »
As a frosh?

I suspect he goes the Sacar route as a freshmen so he can develop.....especially if we land a big in the grad transfer market.

We have two scollies left, one likely for a veteran and one for a developmental type player or another freshman transfer to balance the classes

Couldn't even begin to speculate on next year's roster without those last couple of pieces.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:09 AM »
I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and love getting a 6'11, 260 lb big with skills.    However, the way that college basketball is going I would almost rather have 5-6  skilled guys 6'7-6'9 and built and run them out there interchangeably to guard the 3-4-5.   The Brendan Baileys of the world, 6'8, skilled, are the future of 4's in college hoops. 

Exactly.  This is why I like what Wojo is doing.  He is recruiting scorers most of whom can shoot from the outside.

And this is why I am not quite in love with the idea of getting a grad transfer here next year.  Unless Wojo feels that Heldt can't go big minutes to start the year, and that John isn't ready, and therefore we need some size, I think we are set 1-3.  And when Froling is eligible, I don't even know if we would need that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »

Exactly.  This is why I like what Wojo is doing.  He is recruiting scorers most of whom can shoot from the outside.

And this is why I am not quite in love with the idea of getting a grad transfer here next year.  Unless Wojo feels that Heldt can't go big minutes to start the year, and that John isn't ready, and therefore we need some size, I think we are set 1-3.  And when Froling is eligible, I don't even know if we would need that.

ABR

Always Be Recruiting

I don't care if we look good on paper, that paper can always look better. Look at our guard situation going into the season, never would have thought we might be one guard short but we are/were. I'm not saying take a flyer on a maybe grad transfer, but if the right grad transfer is available you take him.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
I don't think we disagree.  I don't think it is essential we take a grad transfer.  I would make sure that it is one that fits our needs.  And if we don't land one, and we have an open scholarship, I'm OK with that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 09:03:25 AM »

I look at next year's roster and almost wonder if Wojo hasn't over corrected for bigs.   May be a little 5 heavy.  However, admittedly, I haven't seen them play.   It may turn out that HF loses weight and gains quickness and TJ and IE both have the ability to guard in space and consistently hit the 12-15 jumper and we are entering a shangri-la of MU hoops.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
I don't think we disagree.  I don't think it is essential we take a grad transfer.  I would make sure that it is one that fits our needs.  And if we don't land one, and we have an open scholarship, I'm OK with that.

Warriors88

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
1.  Markus, Rowsey
2.  Haanif, Duane, Sacar
3.  Hauser, Cain

This roster still has a glaring weakness.  Very little experience or proven production at the 5.  It seems the combo of Froling and John can be intriguing at the 4.  One can provide some offense as a stretch 4 and the other rebounding and D.

I don't see MU being successful with only Heldt and Eke at the 5.  That won't work.  Wojo needs to find a grad transfer with starters experience. 

Even with a grad transfer at the 5 next year will be a struggle, especially early.  Losing 3 key players means some of newbies have to step up right away and make contributions.  I think it will take time to find the right roles and shake out the rotation.

2 years from now with the addition of Bailey and another Hauser... we could be on to something

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
Dawson-->JJJ-->Eke
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
This roster still has a glaring weakness.  Very little experience or proven production at the 5.  It seems the combo of Froling and John can be intriguing at the 4.  One can provide some offense as a stretch 4 and the other rebounding and D.

I don't see MU being successful with only Heldt and Eke at the 5.  That won't work.  Wojo needs to find a grad transfer with starters experience. 

First, I think Harry can and will play the post.

Second, even if he doesn't, all I think MU will need from the 5 is defense and rebounding.  There will be scoring all over the floor. 

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 09:57:42 AM »
I don't think Wojo is going to be looking for the traditional Center anymore.  I don't anticipate we will see huge, slow-footed, shot-blockers who can dunk and not much else.  Based on the big men he has recruited (Henry, Harry, Theo, maybe Eke) it looks like Wojo wants a more athletic and mobile big man who can shoot a little from outside.

Essentially, Wojo is going to have a team that features more John Hensons and fewer Greg Monroes.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:44 AM »
I'm too worried about this year, to even think about next year yet!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »
I don't think Wojo is going to be looking for the traditional Center anymore.  I don't anticipate we will see huge, slow-footed, shot-blockers who can dunk and not much else.  Based on the big men he has recruited (Henry, Harry, Theo, maybe Eke) it looks like Wojo wants a more athletic and mobile big man who can shoot a little from outside.

Essentially, Wojo is going to have a team that features more John Hensons and fewer Greg Monroes.
Their mobility, particularly laterally on defense, as well as not being one dimensional on offense, will be the keys.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 10:44:57 AM »
Dawson-->JJJ-->Eke

But where does Kostas fit in this chain?

feedback