Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Had not realized Fox Sports 1 passed ESPN2 in prime time viewership - graph  (Read 10379 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
So...who should the Big East look to add? Gonna have to be basketball only, and have to be public, and have to be non-P6, so I guess that leaves...umm...VCU? Wichita State? Or maybe some big state school like...uhh...Rhode Island?

Who exactly are these mythical teams we should add?

I'm not sure, but I think this would be their mascot
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Color me Impressed......Didn't know this was a full service Site.  Thanks for all you do.

Just making sure no MU fan needlessly misses an MU game :)

vogue65

• All American
So...who should the Big East look to add? Gonna have to be basketball only, and have to be public, and have to be non-P6, so I guess that leaves...umm...VCU? Wichita State? Or maybe some big state school like...uhh...Rhode Island?

Who exactly are these mythical teams we should add?

I don't know, but you have a few good ideas right there.  BTW, the basketball only canard is a rationalization.  Marketing, sell what you have to sell.

We all know that Villanova plays football, I  think it is division 2. 

Small state schools might be interested, Delaware, U. Con., how about Temple or someone of our old pals at Conference USA.  My point is that when time runs out on the TV contract it may be too late to improve the product/brand.  I don't think compeditive teams in the NCAA is sufficient for Madison Ave., for recruits possibly, but not for our TV contract.

Have we made any improvements to our league that I  may have missed?  Time will tell, is Buzz the first or the last coach to move on up from the BE.  Coach movement will be telling.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
I don't know, but you have a few good ideas right there.  BTW, the basketball only canard is a rationalization.  Marketing, sell what you have to sell.
Ah, so your viewpoint is that it is really a religious conspiracy with a basketball façade covering it up?  Interesting.  Of course, you still haven't answered in what way the religious affiliation of the current BE schools is a negative, or negatively impacts MU basketball.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

vogue65

• All American
Ah, so your viewpoint is that it is really a religious conspiracy with a basketball façade covering it up?  Interesting.  Of course, you still haven't answered in what way the religious affiliation of the current BE schools is a negative, or negatively impacts MU basketball.

Not at all, and there are far too many conspiracies going around anyway.

My viewpoint is that the brand, the BE brand, is catholic centric, it limits potential viewership,  and that is aboit the tv contract, which is about $$$$$$, for everyone.  Believe it or not but there are some aniti-catholic people in the country.   

When Rutgers was in the BE, I  went to a game at yhe RAC and a group of people said to me, is Marquette one of those Catholic schools somewhere in the midwest, ignorant, perhaps, but an attitude nontheless.

Maybe I'm just thinking like Al McGuire when he fought vehemently against an all catholic league, and please don't ask me for a reference or a quote.  In my day we were an independent, didnt even play ND, because of the money they wanted from our gate, they thought the ND name was a big draw, and when you went to South Bend you got your share of their student tickets, but that's another story.

We are living in a globalized world, lets get with the program.

It's 11PM CET in Italy, thanks for the conversation, good night.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:42:52 PM by vogue65 »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
The cost is 5x your current plan, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Is there an Installment Plan?  Christmas was expensive.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast

My viewpoint is that the brand, the BE brand, is catholic centric, it limits potential viewership,  and that is aboit the tv contract, which is about $$$$$$, for everyone.  Believe it or not but there are some aniti-catholic people in the country.   

When Rutgers was in the BE, I  went to a game at yhe RAC and a group of people said to me, is Marquette one of those Catholic schools somewhere in the midwest, ignorant, perhaps, but an attitude nontheless.

Maybe I'm just thinking like Al McGuire when he fought vehemently against an all catholic league, and please don't ask me for a reference or a quote.  In my day we were an independent, didnt even play ND, because of the money they wanted from our gate, they thought the ND name was a big draw, and when you went to South Bend you got your share of their student tickets, but that's another story.

I feel fairly confident if you polled 100 casual CBB fans that aren't this guy, catholic would not be one of the top 3 comments out of 98% of them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Here's the thing...any state school worth having is already in a major conference. The reason no one is chasing schools like Delaware, Rhode Island, Maine, North/South Dakota, Nevada, or wherever else is because they don't bring value. They don't bring a major market, they don't bring significant eyes, and they don't have the quality to significantly enhance the level of play. You're not going to suddenly draw nationwide eyes because Villanova is playing the Delaware Blue Hens.

As far as anti-Catholic, there's anti-everything somewhere in the country. But let's not act like it's still the 1960s. These days, if anyone's drawing a line, it's strictly between Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or atheist. I don't think almost anyone is that bothered by denomination anymore unless they are over the age of 60, and I don't think many television contracts will be impacted by that demographic.

In one regard, you are right. We are living in a globalized world. However the nature of that globalization seems to have left you behind. This globalized world is more concerned with forward thinking than dwelling in 40 year old demographics that no longer pertain to modern media.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Here's the thing...any state school worth having is already in a major conference. The reason no one is chasing schools like Delaware, Rhode Island, Maine, North/South Dakota, Nevada, or wherever else is because they don't bring value. They don't bring a major market, they don't bring significant eyes, and they don't have the quality to significantly enhance the level of play. You're not going to suddenly draw nationwide eyes because Villanova is playing the Delaware Blue Hens.

As far as anti-Catholic, there's anti-everything somewhere in the country. But let's not act like it's still the 1960s. These days, if anyone's drawing a line, it's strictly between Christianity, Islam, Judaism, or atheist. I don't think almost anyone is that bothered by denomination anymore unless they are over the age of 60, and I don't think many television contracts will be impacted by that demographic.

In one regard, you are right. We are living in a globalized world. However the nature of that globalization seems to have left you behind. This globalized world is more concerned with forward thinking than dwelling in 40 year old demographics that no longer pertain to modern media.

BOOM.

Roasted.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
I've found the just the team to expand the BE

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Marcus92

• All American
No, get some NON-CATHOLIC schools into the league and EXPAND. Time is a wasting.

The Big East will expand if it's in the best interest of the conference. No reason to do so until then. It has to be the right school, the right program. And any expansion has to make sense financially.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brandx

At least they take the mid-range game seriously instead of parking behind the 3-point line. (Of course they still are living in a century where the 3-point line was just a twinkle in the eye of a basketball fanatic.)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
At least they take the mid-range game seriously instead of parking behind the 3-point line. (Of course they still are living in a century where the 3-point line was just a twinkle in the eye of a basketball fanatic.)

A group of traditionals, ai-na?

vogue65

• All American

Love it, sign them up, or are they Villanova practicing outside in their warm up uniforms?

Also, I enjoy the ad hominem attacks.

Interesting how many players come from Europe,  Africa, etc..
It is a globalized world and I  am enjoying it as I sit here in Bergamo, Italy.

One of my other issues is how Geprgetown and Villanova seem to have veto rights to protect their market.  The numbers will tell when the contract is up for renewal, there are only so many graduates of catholic high schools out there.  Yes, having top 10 teams helps greatly but that is only one part of the equation and we have that part right, now on to the next part, expand the brand.

Another missing link is rivalry schools, do we have any? 

Some fundamental principles don't change, even after 6 centuries.  What is 50 years in the overall scheme of things?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:51:44 AM by vogue65 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
The numbers will tell when the contract is up for renewal, there are only so many graduates of catholic high schools out there. 
This fixation is bizarre.  Your contention that only graduates of catholic high schools are interested in watching BE basketball is, of course, borne out by some sort of proof?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:41:20 AM by TSmith34 »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Just making sure no MU fan needlessly misses an MU game :)

I think you forgot to include the "Aw Shucks" in the above.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Some fundamental principles don't change, even after 6 centuries.  What is 50 years in the overall scheme of things?

In terms of media? Are you completely out of your mind or is your head just buried that far in the sand? 50 years ago the color television transition was still going on. 50 years ago newspapers were still current news. 50 years ago there was no internet, no smartphones, no social media of any sort. 50 years ago the top rated television show was Bonanza and there were only three viable networks. 50 years ago there was no cable television, much less satellite or wireless.

50 years ago Al McGuire had not yet earned his first NCAA Tournament bid. 50 years ago the Big East did not exist. 50 years ago the NCAA Tournament only handed out 25 bids. 50 years ago the Big Ten had 10 teams.

Quite simply, 50 years is an ETERNITY in terms of media. The landscape in terms of sports and media has shifted radically in the 12 years since we joined the Big East. Just because you flew to Europe doesn't mean you understand what the globalization you are trying to talk about means. And frankly, that more you spout off about this, the more obvious it is you have no understanding of media, sports, or the ways the market has shifted.

vogue65

• All American
In terms of media? Are you completely out of your mind or is your head just buried that far in the sand? 50 years ago the color television transition was still going on. 50 years ago newspapers were still current news. 50 years ago there was no internet, no smartphones, no social media of any sort. 50 years ago the top rated television show was Bonanza and there were only three viable networks. 50 years ago there was no cable television, much less satellite or wireless.

50 years ago Al McGuire had not yet earned his first NCAA Tournament bid. 50 years ago the Big East did not exist. 50 years ago the NCAA Tournament only handed out 25 bids. 50 years ago the Big Ten had 10 teams.

Quite simply, 50 years is an ETERNITY in terms of media. The landscape in terms of sports and media has shifted radically in the 12 years since we joined the Big East. Just because you flew to Europe doesn't mean you understand what the globalization you are trying to talk about means. And frankly, that more you spout off about this, the more obvious it is you have no understanding of media, sports, or the ways the market has shifted.

I very much enjoyed when Mr. McGuire turned down an NCAA invitation to play in the NIT.
Yes, even the Not Invited Tournament has come a long way recently.

Furthermore, I  live in Italy, retired, part time, and enjoy getting you guys all worked up.  I  understand your fear and anger, I  hear it in many statements.  The sweater vests are enjoying the show.

vogue65

• All American
This fixation is bizarre.  Your contention that only graduates of catholic high schools are interested in watching BE basketball is, of course, borne out by some sort of proof?

The proof will be at contract negotiation time, for now it is anicdotal.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:09:40 AM by vogue65 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I very much enjoyed when Mr. McGuire turned down an NCAA invitation to play in the NIT.
Yes, even the Not Invited Tournament has come a long way recently.

Furthermore, I  live in Italy, retired, part time, and enjoy getting you guys all worked up.  I  understand your fear and anger, I  hear it in many statements.  The sweater vests are enjoying the show.

And how'd you get there? Did you swim?

Not sure whay anyone is supposed to be afraid or angry about, but I am amused at how out of touch with modern technology and society you are. Marquette and the Big East is in a great position right now. The only two conferences with comparable security are the SEC and Big 10.

You'd probably do a better job of working us up if you had some viable talking points. Instead you march tired, dated rhetoric that leaves you little more than a bland punching bag from a debate standpoint. But please, enjoy your show. I can only assume it's still Bonanza.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
It is a globalized world and I  am enjoying it as I sit here in Bergamo, Italy.

C'mon guys - you jump all over someone bragging about Yale, but not someone being more global than everyone else.

Vogue, I think if you really looked, you'd find many here are just as, if not more "global" than you.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
The proof will be at contract negotiation time, for now it is anicdotal.
No, not really.  If the next contract isn't as rich as the initial one it won't be because people refuse to watch BE basketball because they are anti-Catholic.

vogue65

• All American
C'mon guys - you jump all over someone bragging about Yale, but not someone being more global than everyone else.

Vogue, I think if you really looked, you'd find many here are just as, if not more "global" than you.

Correct, never said "they" were not, in fact my generation tends to be less global.  Ran into MU engineer last year working a motorcycle project in Bergamo, Italy, small world.  It is not my residence which makes me aware of globalization, it is my interest.  Even had the opportunity to teach a few classes to Italian H.S. students on the subject, they were very interested and concerned.

Would you believe that even my butcher is a big Davante Gardner and M.U. fan?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Take this ESPN!

feedback