Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wilson  (Read 6304 times)

schubert33

• Starter
Wilson
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:04:53 AM »
How bad did he get hurt last night?  Any news?

Need him otherwise there are only 8 scholarship players left. 

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wilson
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »
Pulled groin.  Tough injury cause it can take awhile to recover from. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »
At what point do you take off Sacars redshirt?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
It depends on how long Wilson will be out and if someone else get's injured.  If he is out for a couple weeks, and someone else goes down, I don't think they will have much choice. 

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:44 AM »
Never, you can play with 8 or even 7.   So he can play 6 to 7 minutes a game, no way.  More importantly, how is playing in practice?  Any word.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 09:54:54 AM »
Probably best ta ax F*ckin' 'bout recovery times. He has a perpetual pulled groin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 09:56:35 AM »
Probably best ta ax F*ckin' 'bout recovery times. He has a perpetual pulled groin, hey?

Hilarious
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 10:04:54 AM »
Never, you can play with 8 or even 7.   So he can play 6 to 7 minutes a game, no way.  More importantly, how is playing in practice?  Any word.

Disagree.  I would rather have him giving 6-8 high energy minutes than trying to play with 7.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 10:13:11 AM »
Send Duane to Dr. Vinnie Boombatz.

"You know my doctor, Dr. Vinnie Boombatz... no matter where it hurts ya, he wants to kiss it and make it better!  After he checked me for a hernia, I had to change my phone number!"

---Rodney Dangerfield
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »
Not to speculate but Duane wanted to try to 'walk it off'.  He remained in uniform after returning from the locker room and seemed to get to each timeout huddle without any issues.  Hopefully it responds well to treatment and he becomes a 'day to day' type rather than facing an extended absence.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 10:21:58 AM »
Disagree.  I would rather have him giving 6-8 high energy minutes than trying to play with 7.

I guess you did not like watching Al's teams, they barely played 7 much less 8.  Time-outs every 4 minutes now, add the team time-outs at there run is very
short.  Use the time-outs to rest them, 30 to 40 seconds before the TV time out, gives them 4 to5 minutes to rest.  I never wanted to come out of a game and
we played 32 minutes.  At that age, who does?  Why did Cohen and Traci leave, they want to play.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 10:31:11 AM »
It is a conundrum.  It would be best for Scar to sit the rest of the year.  If Duane is out for any length of time, it is better to dress 9 than 8 in the Big East.  Too much physicality, too many fouls.

Al retired 40 years ago.  The game has changed.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 10:46:12 AM »
It is a conundrum.  It would be best for Scar to sit the rest of the year.  If Duane is out for any length of time, it is better to dress 9 than 8 in the Big East.  Too much physicality, too many fouls.

Al retired 40 years ago.  The game has changed.

Yes, it was more physical back then,  the game has spread out more now with that 3 point line.  Butch Lee never took a shot that was above the key.   More time outs,
if you saw the MU game against Minny when they had Brewer, Behagan and others, the game was predicated on D.  Much more wide open now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
No shot clock.  Able to sit back in a zone or hold the ball to shorten the game.  The 3 point shot means you have to defend faster and cover more area.  More complicated offenses and defenses.  Do you remember Buzz talking about JFB pre- draft and the 6(?) Different ways MU defended the pick and roll?   When you watch basketball from readers and earlier, the help defensive rotations are far less sophisticated.

But back to Sacar.  From a team standpoint, I would rather dress 8 than 7, or 9 than 8 every single game.  Go ahead and disagree.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:28 AM »
No shot clock.  Able to sit back in a zone or hold the ball to shorten the game.  The 3 point shot means you have to defend faster and cover more area.  More complicated offenses and defenses.  Do you remember Buzz talking about JFB pre- draft and the 6(?) Different ways MU defended the pick and roll?   When you watch basketball from readers and earlier, the help defensive rotations are far less sophisticated.

But back to Sacar.  From a team standpoint, I would rather dress 8 than 7, or 9 than 8 every single game.  Go ahead and disagree.

I agree to disagree, both make good points.  Sacar, not sure how good he is?  A body yes, needs to improve, yes.  Red-shirting is trying to improve, it really helped the
Badgers in doing that on many players, hope the same for him.  Not playing at all and coming in this late hurt Cadougan a few years ago.  Hard to get going.  I am sure his family likes the 5 year plan for school alone, grad school maybe.  Or just maturing as a person and a player.  He has a chance next year to start, either him
or Cain at the 3 next year.  Let him sit.  I think it comes down to the players choice.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 11:53:58 AM »
I mean there's no harm in dressing Sacar, right? So long as he doesn't play any minutes even if he dresses he should be able to keep his red shirt.

If worst comes to worst, you'd at least have another body on the bench.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
I mean there's no harm in dressing Sacar, right? So long as he doesn't play any minutes even if he dresses he should be able to keep his red shirt.

Yes but from my understanding he cannot travel on MU's dime.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
Bobby Knight recently said that most college basketball players do not get tired during games between all the long timeouts and the numerous other stoppages, and the fact that they are 19-year-old kids.

He said almost every team runs their kids far harder during practices.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
He said almost every team runs their kids far harder during practices.

Wojo has mentioned this, as well. That's the goal β€” to make practice more demanding physically, so players aren't too fatigued during crunch time of a game.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
At what point do you take off Sacars redshirt?
Don't burn the redshirt.  Call up Blockton or Heideman instead.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »

Does Sacar get to Vote.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
Yes, it was more physical back then,  the game has spread out more now with that 3 point line.  Butch Lee never took a shot that was above the key.   More time outs,
if you saw the MU game against Minny when they had Brewer, Behagan and others, the game was predicated on D.  Much more wide open now.

That Minnesota game might have been I best I saw in my four years at MU. I think Gophers had only four field goals in the first half, and three of them were goaltending calls on Chones. 55-40, and it was never that close.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 01:33:01 PM »
If Sacar wanted to burn his redshirt and start playing, I'd allow it.  But I doubt that's the case and if not I don't think it helps us much.  Awfully tough to come in at this stage in the season and expect him to make any meaningful contribution, especially since even without Duane our backcourt depth is not horrible.  A much tougher call would be if we had a big man redshirting and Fischer went down for the season.  Doesn't look like Duane's injury is too serious and if you needed someone to give you some spot minutes here and there I would utilize the walk ons.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »
That Minnesota game might have been I best I saw in my four years at MU. I think Gophers had only four field goals in the first half, and three of them were goaltending calls on Chones. 55-40, and it was never that close.

And no one got kicked in the baby maker, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »

I have to agree, and the year they beat Dr. K and Larry Finch with Memphis.  Those 2 I remember as the best games in Milwaukee.  Also, the Milwaukee Classic with Pistol Pete
and Dave Cowens, was pretty good as well.

feedback