[Today at 12:16:38 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by SaveOD238
[Today at 12:12:04 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Warriors4ever
[Today at 11:29:37 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would you take Buzz or Crean back?

Take Crean
15 (13.5%)
Take Buzz
32 (28.8%)
Both
18 (16.2%)
Neither
46 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: Would you take Crean or Buzz back?  (Read 16232 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Would you take Crean or Buzz back?
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
Cool. Buzz is doing very well at VT. Congrats to him. Him turning around VT is the exception not the rule. For every Buzz Williiams at VT I can find you 5 Wojos at MU.

yes? But the question is would we take back Buzz. Not 5 wojos.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2016, 01:01:18 PM »
Cool. Buzz is doing very well at VT. Congrats to him. Him turning around VT is the exception not the rule. For every Buzz Williiams at VT I can find you 5 Wojos at MU.

Not to mention Bert got to keep the kids he wanted from VT's recruiting class and bring the kids he wanted along with him from MU's recruiting class. Bert took over a program where the former coach was no longer employed as a D1 head basketball coach and had been recruiting for himself. Wojo took over a program that the former coach was going elsewhere to coach and Wojo had been recruiting for Coach K.

So Bert damn well better be further along in his rebuild.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2016, 01:04:08 PM »
Not to mention Bert got to keep the kids he wanted from VT's recruiting class and bring the kids he wanted along with him from MU's recruiting class. Bert took over a program where the former coach was no longer employed as a D1 head basketball coach and had been recruiting for himself. Wojo took over a program that the former coach was going elsewhere to coach and Wojo had been recruiting for Coach K.

Transfers Zach LeDay and Seth Allen also helped a lot. But, they will be gone next year.  We shall see.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »
Just gunna leave this here. Buzz beat Michigan at Michigan this year. Hes 9-1. Marquette got slaughtered by Michigan at a neutral. Both teams did complete rebuilds, maybe its time to stop the rebuild excuse train?

Or maybe Buzz is just a better coach.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »

Whoops, in someone's blind Wojo hate, they forgot context and variables.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »

If we're doing "not to mention" it should be noted that Buzz tampered with two programs to get his two best players. That helps speed up the process.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
Just gunna leave this here. Buzz beat Michigan at Michigan this year. Hes 9-1. Marquette got slaughtered by Michigan at a neutral. Both teams did complete rebuilds, maybe its time to stop the rebuild excuse train?

This

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »

And this

tower912

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »

He is at the moment.  Wojo can still improve.   Buzz is probably at his peak
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

leever

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »
I don't know if Buzz is the better coach.  I think Buzz is better at cheating, I mean, stretching the rules.  I also think he's at a place that is 100% behind cheating, I mean stretching the rules, as long as you win.  Apparently, Marquette was not that place.  VT is not messing with happy, eh?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
I don't know if Buzz is the better coach.  I think Buzz is better at cheating, I mean, stretching the rules.  I also think he's at a place that is 100% behind cheating, I mean stretching the rules, as long as you win.  Apparently, Marquette was not that place.  VT is not messing with happy, eh?

"cheating/stretching the rules"  just wondering what you know that the ncaa doesn't? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
Buzz wasn't a cheater. The actual violations during his 6 years were of the mouse nuts variety.  A t-shirt and a ride to the airport?   Please.     Exploited some loopholes (DJO), handled the Newbill situation and alleged sexual assaults poorly, didn't cheat. 

Unless, of course, you were let in on CBB's super secret other shoe that has yet to drop.   
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:41:38 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2016, 05:53:59 PM »
Buzz wasn't a cheater. The actual violations during his 6 years were of the mouse nuts variety.  A t-shirt and a ride to the airport?   Please.     Exploited some loopholes (DJO), handled the Newbill situation and alleged sexual assaults poorly, didn't cheat.

+1

Buzz had plenty of chances to cheat. He handled some things terribly, had a few minor incidents, but wasn't a guy who was running wild with wanton disregard for the rules.

My favorite instance was when Michigan State fans were livid, attacking Marquette because they heard there was a price tag on Branden Dawsen and Marquette had bought his recruitment. Buzz was the dirtiest guy on the block and everyone was piling on.

Then he committed to MSU and they all shut up about that cheating bit real quick. FWIW, I've heard they were right about the price tag thing all along, but they were wrong about who was paying it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
+1

Buzz had plenty of chances to cheat. He handled some things terribly, had a few minor incidents, but wasn't a guy who was running wild with wanton disregard for the rules.

My favorite instance was when Michigan State fans were livid, attacking Marquette because they heard there was a price tag on Branden Dawsen and Marquette had bought his recruitment. Buzz was the dirtiest guy on the block and everyone was piling on.

Then he committed to MSU and they all shut up about that cheating bit real quick. FWIW, I've heard they were right about the price tag thing all along, but they were wrong about who was paying it.

He would've if he could've.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
He would've if he could've.

I disagree. Buzz might be weird, secretive, and awkward, but I don't think he's a cheater or means to be malicious. He has his own code that he lives by. Maybe not landing certain recruits at Marquette because he couldn't...ahem...invest properly in their future will change his ways of doing things, but looking at his recruiting at Virginia Tech, I don't think that's the case.

Buzz is still going after the same four-star kids he always was. Dude has put plenty of guys in the NBA, has a marquee conference banner to fly, and a pedigree of success. If he had some unlimited budget at Va Tech, he would have landed a McDonald's kid in his first class or two.

I fully understand why people don't like him, and there are aspects of his personality and nature that I don't like (I wouldn't want him back here under any circumstance) but I feel pretty confident he didn't cheat there and doesn't feel a need to cheat there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2016, 06:41:24 PM »
If he would have been willing to cheat, he would have paid for Dawson, paid off Mbakwe (per the other board), put up with Tim Maymon, kept Hazel around, continued to pursue Clarke, etc.     Weird, intense, always looking for an advantage, more than willing to exploit his encyclopedic contacts within the JUCO community..... doesn't equal cheating. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2016, 06:44:40 PM »
Does your wife yell Crean's name instead of yours during sex? You have issues, dude.

My wife passed away from cancer you a$$hole. Go f#ck yourself.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »
I've heard many things that lead me to believe that if he was allowed to continue down the path he was trying to head at MU he wouldn't have stopped short of anything to help him win.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
yes? But the question is would we take back Buzz. Not 5 wojos.

But the statement you were making was that we are making excuses for Wojo. Not answering the original question.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
Neither---Buzz left the cupboard bare when he left, Tan Tommy will
take Izzo's job when he retires. Both Scum-bags. I wanted one of the
Miller boys (Sean or Archie) before Buzz. We can also thank administration
for this mess. I still like Wojo but we should have had a more experienced
coach. I guess Ben Howland was mentioned.

I think that when Buzz left the idea was to get a coach who'd take control of the program, not run it on autopilot.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
Leon's Frozen Custard > TCBY franchises.

But yogurt franchises are what made Ners....  oh, I get your point.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »
I know it is impossible, but I would love to see KO come back as a Wojo assistant to solely focus on defense.

KO as second fiddle to Wojo   Ha ha ha.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:43 PM »
My wife passed away from cancer you a$$hole. Go f#ck yourself.

wow keefer, i didn't know that-so so sorry to hear.  i've been blessed not to have experienced death within my immediate family...yet.  God knows that's going to be a real basterd for me to deal with, but peace be upon you
don't...don't don't don't don't

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2016, 08:40:11 AM »

Unless, of course, you were let in on CBB's super secret other shoe that has yet to drop.

What DJO loophole was there?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »
I'm not sure it was a "loophole," but there was an NCAA clearinghouse issue of some sort.  Usually that means the NCAA didn't think one of his classes met the qualifications for the 16 core course requirement.  I think he spent a year at a prep school before going Juco so maybe that was part of the problem?

Anyways, Jae was more of an issue because he had no chance to graduate in two years.  Many two year Jucos have that issue.  (Dwight Buycks I believe has finally done so.)  DJO and JFB both graduated.