Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence  (Read 2738 times)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Providence
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
Surprised there are so few threads on the game coming up.  There was some solid analysis at the Providence board (see below).  Without Curry, you have to like our chances.  There are a solid offensive team though.

Haven't seen them play this year.  Pomeroy stats show that they can really offensive rebound but then give up a lot of offensive rebounds on their end.  That may be the key, as we are a good at offensive rebounding for a guard oriented team.

A like our chances to score in transition as well (remembering them from last year, their transition defense is not good).

You have to be concerned about Hanke and McDermott (sp?)  though.  They are pretty tough. We have to make those entry passes difficult by pressuring the perimeter (we probably have to do this against 75% of Big East teams with their size advantages).

Providence Board:  http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425#s=425&f=1323&t=1749989

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Providence
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »
I actually have this game as a loss for us in the preseason picks everyone made.  I now believe we will win this game (especially with Curry out) but I think we will have to fight for it.

I'm sure Tom will have his team ready to go but I just worry that everyone may be overlooking Providence. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 11:42:53 AM »
I think if this game was at the Donut Shop, people might be a little bit more concerned, but since it's at home, I'm assuming people aren't as concerend as they might normally be.

DonCornholeone

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »
I, for one, am just excited to watch an actual game... not a glorified practice.  I think the team will be too and come out ready for some real competition.  Chalk up Providence and Seton Hall as Ws.  Curses the West Virginia game isn't on (well... national) TV!!!  That one is going to be a knock down, drag out!

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »
I, for one, am just excited to watch an actual game... not a glorified practice.  I think the team will be too and come out ready for some real competition.  Chalk up Providence and Seton Hall as Ws.  Curses the West Virginia game isn't on (well... national) TV!!!  That one is going to be a knock down, drag out!

I agree, time for some real BE competition. 

I think Providence will be tough in the first half...especially if our bigs get in foul trouble early.  Ultimately, MU is too fast and talented at the guard pos to let this one slip away.  The second half will be a blood bath and MU wins by double digits.

DonCornholeone

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:11:41 PM »
Is there anyone in the conference that can outplay us?  I don't think so.  Do we really know how good Georgetown is?  They have 2 decent road Ws (OD and Bama) and a 14 point loss to Memphis.  I think we can safely say Fitz is baaaaack, judging from his 3-5 3pt shooting against Savannah St.  If SC can get comfortable out there we will have a bevy of clutch threats from behind the arc (Fitz, SC, Coobs, Acker)... potent!

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:27:03 PM »
Curses the West Virginia game isn't on (well... national) TV!!!  That one is going to be a knock down, drag out!
I believe the WV game is on ESPN Full Court during the free preview week.  Jan 5-12 if I remember correctly.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »
I thought the WV game is on ESPN 2?

DonCornholeone

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:41:24 PM »
According to DirecTV's Web site, it's on Full Court!  That kicks a$$!!!  The free preview runs through the 12th, so we'll be able to catch the Seton Hall game too. 

EDIT:  The rest of our games this season are available on, if not on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/CBS, Full Court.
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/schedule?teamId=269
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 02:45:32 PM by DonCornholeone »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »
this game, and this week, make me a bit uneasy. I think providence and wvu are both better than most think and will both make a run at a top 6/7 finish in conference and a tourney bid. If MU can get through this week unbeaten, i feel like its gonna be a special season

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 05:05:43 PM »
Expect a 2-3 zone and a tough game.

Pardner

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »
Expect a 2-3 zone and a tough game.
Ditto...they will play us big too.  I had us losing to Providence, pre-season.  This match up scares me.  Will be a physical game, which, with the cupcakes and break days off, I expect a rugged first half as we adjust to the intensity.  Home crowd advantage milder than normal with students still off at break.  That said, this Providence team has more faces than Britney Spears...let's see which one shows.  I now expect a "W", though, due to all our looks we can throw out and how well we are playing.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 08:14:17 PM »
We are 12-point favorites but I think it will be closer than that unless we pull away down the stretch.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »
Fitz can be inconsistant, but I do not think his play matters at all. MU by 27.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 08:41:21 PM »
We will run them off the court.  We have a nice game plan with the lack of bigs.  We are scoring in the paint very well.  The drive and dish is working and our guys are hitting the three.  I think Lazar is the key tomorrow.  If he is as good as he has been, we cruise.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
Even with it being a break game, I know a number of people that have given their fanatics tickets to people closer that are coming. I expect lower bowl and a fair amount of the upper bowl filled but we'll see.  I think if we're able to shut down McDermott, since opposing big men give us the most problems, we can take this game pretty easily. Or even if he has a big game and we can hold the rest of the team we'll be fine. Thank goodness conference is starting!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »
Providence will not only be without Curry, but also his backup(and current starter at PG) Dwain Williams. PC will be using Geoff McDermott a lot as a Point forward in this game.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »
my sister was at the mke airport today and saw the providence team walk by.  she ended up talking with one of the guys in the rear (who we determined later to be efejuku)...wished him good luck and said that she was going to be at the game tomorrow.