[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football Thread  (Read 11656 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: College Football Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »
Both can absolutely true and very often are.

In fact, what makes college football so fantastic is that it is absurd, illogical and ridiculous. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »

In fact, what makes college football so fantastic is that it is absurd, illogical and ridiculous.

Correct, see also: March, Madness
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:47 PM »
If Washington or Clemson loses, I think Michigan is in.

Herb kirkstreit was on Mike and Mike this morning. He said things that would be used as tie breakers (head to head result, conference championship, common opponents, etc) would only be used if the committee couldn't determine which team is clearly better. Well, I think based on where the teams are ranked right now, they clearly think Michigan is better than WI or PSU.

brandx

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »
If Washington or Clemson loses, I think Michigan is in.

Herb kirkstreit was on Mike and Mike this morning. He said things that would be used as tie breakers (head to head result, conference championship, common opponents, etc) would only be used if the committee couldn't determine which team is clearly better. Well, I think based on where the teams are ranked right now, they clearly think Michigan is better than WI or PSU.

This is where I disagree, Jes.

When I defended UW earlier, it was not to say they were one of the top 4 teams (I'd rank them 5th). It was to say that two teams from the same division of the same conference - neither of whom could even end up in 1st place in a 7-team division - should not be in the playoffs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2016, 12:08:42 AM »

When I defended UW earlier, it was not to say they were one of the top 4 teams (I'd rank them 5th). It was to say that two teams from the same division of the same conference - neither of whom could even end up in 1st place in a 7-team division - should not be in the playoffs.

One finished tied for first place in their 7 team division, a far and away tougher 7 team division than the joke of a 7 team division Wisconsin is in.

UW lost to 2 teams in the East, which means the absolute best they could've done in the East if they played in that division would be tied for 3rd with Michigan (losing the head to head tiebreaker). And then if they played in the East they still win their crossovers with the West (since they won all their games against West teams) and Michigan State (since they beat them), and we're about to find out if they could beat Penn State. Chances are fairly high they'd beat Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers as well, but they'd finish 4th in their 7 team division.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2016, 08:20:40 AM »

Right.

I'm not writing what I want to happen or what I think should happen. I was saying what I think will happen given the current system.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2016, 10:52:40 PM »
Alabama v Washington
Clemson v Ohio State

If Penn Sate gets in instead of Washington or Ohio State I wouldn't complain.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
Going to be interesting.  Can't see it being anything other than Bama over OSU in the championship.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2016, 11:35:43 PM »
It's a mixed bag for Eng tonight.  See, he probably had a couple cocktails during the game tonight and while he team was victorious his rendition of 'Nah, nah, hey, hey goodbye' got him relegated to sleeping in the garage prior to the onset ofthe snow tomorrow.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »
Alabama v Washington
Clemson v Ohio State

If Penn Sate gets in instead of Washington or Ohio State I wouldn't complain.

Penn State won their division over OSU, won the championship in the best conference in the country, beat OSU head-to-head and were deemed to be not as good as OSU. Replace Ohio State with Indiana, Maryland or Rutgers and Penn State gets in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
Penn State won their division over OSU, won the championship in the best conference in the country, beat OSU head-to-head and were deemed to be not as good as OSU. Replace Ohio State with Indiana, Maryland or Rutgers and Penn State gets in.

We've been over this.  According the guidelines of the College Football Playoff, Ohio State should get the nod.  (And they did.)  If they limited it to conference champions, I would be fine with that. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't see an 8 team anytime soon. As always, money rules. And I'm not talking about the NCAA or the teams or the conferences.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2016, 03:31:51 PM »
No need to go to an 8 team, dilutes the product unnecessarily....and I say that as a Penn State fan.

What will be interesting is if this now drives non-conference scheduling changes. If you think you're in a top 2 conference(which can ebb and flow each year) there is zero reason to schedule strong in the non-conference. Washington's NC was hot garbage and they won all three and Penn State played two top 25 teams: Temple at home which they won and Pitt on the road which they lost by 3. Additionally, the committee put OSU in over PSU, which by definition overlooks PSU's head to head win against OSU which effective means the committee put more value on a road loss in September by 3 to a top 25 than it did on a top 2 home win in October. So why schedule tough non-conference opponents?

By the way, if you go to 8 the non-conference schedules definitely become crap because there is less than zero incentive to schedule tough...just win your own conference and you're in.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »
Holy crap - Mixon/Oklahoma

I could have started another thread like Heisy, but this seemed inline with the topic.