[Today at 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Katin and team eFG%  (Read 9552 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Katin and team eFG%
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:43:56 AM »
To date, the team is making 36.5% of our 3-point shots and has an effective field goal percentage of 55.3% — good for 107th and 53rd in the country. If you took Katin's stats out of the equation, those numbers would be:

3PT%: 37.6 (89)
eFG%: 59.1 (17)

Katin's actually improved his 3-point shooting lately, and isn't taking quite so many shots. (He's now second to JaJuan in field goal attempts and to Sam in 3-point attempts). But unless he significantly improves both inside and outside the arc, he needs to shoot less and/or take better shots. The team will be better for it.

I will say that I like the energy and effort Katin brings to this team. He's posting career highs in offensive rebounding percentage, defensive rebounding percentage and steal percentage.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Katin and team eFG%
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »
I can live with a handful of forced shots if Katin gets to the line 8 times.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »
Thank you for quantifying.  This pretty much corroborates my thought that something - that should be there - is missing/lacking when he's on the floor.  Hopefully he comes around in the next 16 days.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 09:08:03 AM »
If he took what the defense gave him, it'd be much better. His free throws artificially inflated his eFG% last night. Those shots were terrible.

I like so much of what he brings, but we needed a defender and deferrer (probably not a word, oh well) in that role.

His play is on the coaching staff. They need to get him to understand the value of a possession and to take the right shots. I think at this point it feels like he's a hired gun. He just doesn't flow offensively with the rest of the team. Not sure how you fix that, but they need to before conference play.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
If he took what the defense gave him, it'd be much better. His free throws artificially inflated his eFG% last night. Those shots were terrible.

Wat?

Anyway, the guy is shooting 35% eFG%. That will improve. How much is the question.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:30:49 AM »
"Katin Takes Terrible Shots to Get to the Free Throw Line" is this season's early leader for the "Henry Ellenson Only Get's Easy Rebounds Award."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »
"Katin Takes Terrible Shots to Get to the Free Throw Line" is this season's early leader for the "Henry Ellenson Only Get's Easy Rebounds Award."
Disagree, I'm with Brew on this one.  Those drives were wild and he had absolutely no chance to make the shots. IUPUI and the refs bailed him out on a number of occasions.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »
Disagree, I'm with Brew on this one.  Those drives were wild and he had absolutely no chance to make the shots. IUPUI and the refs bailed him out on a number of occasions.

Doesn't matter.  He got to the line.  And the refs didn't "bail him out."  Those were legit fouls.

If a team is going to keep fouling you when you drive, you keep driving until they stop.  Let's not over think this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 09:46:13 AM »
Wat?

Anyway, the guy is shooting 35% eFG%. That will improve. How much is the question.

I think Brew is saying that if Katin hadn't gotten the fouls, he would have missed the shots, thus lowering the eFG%. Personally, I think as long as you draw the foul, you are forgiven. Keep that FTR up!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »
"Let's not over think this" just replaced "Katin takes terrible shots to get to the free throw line" in your competition.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »

If a team is going to keep fouling you when you drive, you keep driving until they stop.

This.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
If a team is going to keep fouling you when you drive, you keep driving until they stop.  Let's not over think this.

But what happens if you keep driving after they stop.  Unless you've got Subaru's new Eyesight safety features, that isn't going to end well.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »
I think Brew is saying that if Katin hadn't gotten the fouls, he would have missed the shots, thus lowering the eFG%. Personally, I think as long as you draw the foul, you are forgiven. Keep that FTR up!

Assume he didn't get fouled and made every FG — he's 7 of 14. Fine. That's just one game. Katin would still be shooting under 35% for the season. He needs to improve that percentage or shoot less. Simple. If he doesn't, he'll limit our ceiling as a team.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 10:06:23 AM »
But what happens if you keep driving after they stop.  Unless you've got Subaru's new Eyesight safety features, that isn't going to end well.

Le Hook.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »
Yeah. That worked against EEwee pewee. How will it work in BEast? Chuckers gotta chuck. And Wojo blesses it, because he doesn't take him out when the guy clangs a couple.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »
Yeah. That worked against EEwee pewee. How will it work in BEast?

So Katin shouldn't drive to the hoop when it is working against IUPUI because it may not work in the BE?

Yeah. That worked against EEwee pewee. How will it work in BEast? Chuckers gotta chuck. And Wojo blesses it, because he doesn't take him out when the guy clangs a couple.

Nobody should be taken out because they "clang a couple."  And he was taken out in the second half when he took a bad shot.  It's a process.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »

Those were legit fouls.
Some were, some weren't.  If you go flailing through the lane out of control, the refs aren't always going to give you the benefit of the doubt as they did last night.  And IUPUI did him a favor by fouling him and bailing him out on shots that had no chance to go in.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
And Wojo blesses it, because he doesn't take him out when the guy clangs a couple.

I can say that this is patently false. Katin has ridden a lot of pine after bad shots. He sat for most of the Pitt and Michigan games.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
Some were, some weren't.  If you go flailing through the lane out of control, the refs aren't always going to give you the benefit of the doubt as they did last night.  And IUPUI did him a favor by fouling him and bailing him out on shots that had no chance to go in.

But they DID foul him.

He was attacking the basket and positive results occurred.  Really what is Wojo supposed to say here?  "Look Katin, I know you keep getting fouled when you drive to the basket, but if they didn't foul you those shots weren't going to fall.  So instead of attacking, just pass the ball to someone else."

No coach ever says this. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »
Katin has a lot of positives with one awful weakness....he's a chucker in his DNA. If he's making shots that's not as bad, but with the assets we have we need more of a Lockett than a Antonie Walker at the 4.

Thing that concerns me: through 5 games our least efficient offensive player is dominating the offense (25.9% of possessions with an eFG% of 35% and an oRtg of 87.7% - next lowest oRtg is Howard at 100.4)

Reasons to hope: Katin's historic eFG% is 45.8, 46.4, and 53.4....so if he gets back to his trend at has at least a 53.4 efficiency he deserves 25.9% of the possessions.

This is why I have been so focused on Wojo of late, this is entirely about the coaching staff having to find a way to maximize Katin's efficiency either by reducing his volume on offense or improving his offense or both. My opinion, of course, there are other philosophies I'd be open to someone walking me through.

IUPUI game showed signs of hope as Katin shared more than I've seen to date. We'll have to see if that continues.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »
Katin has a lot of positives with one awful weakness....he's a chucker in his DNA. If he's making shots that's not as bad, but with the assets we have we need more of a Lockett than a Antonie Walker at the 4.

Thing that concerns me: through 5 games our least efficient offensive player is dominating the offense (25.9% of possessions with an eFG% of 35% and an oRtg of 87.7% - next lowest oRtg is Howard at 100.4)

Reasons to hope: Katin's historic eFG% is 45.8, 46.4, and 53.4....so if he gets back to his trend at has at least a 53.4 efficiency he deserves 25.9% of the possessions.

This is why I have been so focused on Wojo of late, this is entirely about the coaching staff having to find a way to maximize Katin's efficiency either by reducing his volume on offense or improving his offense or both. My opinion, of course, there are other philosophies I'd be open to someone walking me through.

IUPUI game showed signs of hope as Katin shared more than I've seen to date. We'll have to see if that continues.

I agree with everything you are saying here.  I haven't been thrilled with the addition to say the least.  But attacking the basket yesterday was the best thing he did on the floor.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »

But they DID foul him.

He was attacking the basket and positive results occurred.  Really what is Wojo supposed to say here?  "Look Katin, I know you keep getting fouled when you drive to the basket, but if they didn't foul you those shots weren't going to fall.  So instead of attacking, just pass the ball to someone else."

No coach ever says this.

Yes, the defense played stupidly and the refs gave him the benefit of the doubt.  That doesn't make them good decisions or shots.

The rest of your post is a strawman.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »

I agree with everything you are saying here.  I haven't been thrilled with the addition to say the least.  But attacking the basket yesterday was the best thing he did on the floor.

Agreed, he needs to attack more (he's not a 4 so when they guard him with a 4 he should beat them every time) share more and be more efficient with his 3 point shooting. Basically, everything that Ellenson should have been doing last year as well.

This whole "he shouldn't attack because he's drawing fouls that shouldn't be called thing" is crap. If he attacks this way in the BE and they don't call fouls guess what....adjust and attack differently so you do draw fouls.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »
Yes, the defense played stupidly and the refs gave him the benefit of the doubt.  That doesn't make them good decisions or shots.

That's just crap. Were there bad calls by the officials, sure, but certainly no more than any game that happens. If the refs are going to give you calls, keep getting the calls. If they aren't giving you calls do something different.

Ultimately the result(consistently scoring points) determines whether it is a good strategy. (not talking about individual scoring actions, I'm talking about the trend)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »

Did he get fouled on his drives? Yes.

Did he hit his FTs? Yes.

Why do you have a problem with this?

Quit looking for things to complain about when it comes to Katin's game.

feedback