[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good news bad news.  (Read 5038 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Good news bad news.
« on: January 01, 2008, 08:09:04 AM »

Would you take one NC and give up TC?  Hmmm..

Dec 31, 2007 @ 10:47 PM
By Paul Anthony Arco
RRSTAR.COM

Bold prediction for 2008
Marquette will break the school’s 31-year drought and win the NCAA basketball championship on April 7 in San Antonio, thanks to heady guard play by its three future NBA players — Dominic James, Jerel McNeal and Wesley Matthews. The bad news: Coach Tom Crean will leave after the season for the NBA to coach the Miami Heat and former MU guard, Dwyane Wade.

http://www.rrstar.com/sports/columnists/x1295924516

mwbauer7

• All American
Re: Good news bad news.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
Can you really call not having won the NCAA Men's BBall championship for 31 years a drought when more teams in nation don't have any championships at all? I mean at least we've got one to look back on right?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »
Crean wants NO part of the NBA.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »
Give me the championship and I'll take our chances with Crean leaving.  Not going to happen any time soon.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:52 AM »
Where do I sign up for that deal?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »
I'd take that in a heartbeat.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »
The only way I see Crean leaving is if he feels he can never win a NCAA championship here. If he wins one, there would be no reason for him to leave.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
Where do I sign up for that deal?

Oh man, that made me laugh.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »

What leads you to conclude this? Crean is constantly talking about the NBA and it's quite clear (at least to me) that a move to the NBA is much more likely (and desirable to him) than a college move. I'll go so far as to predict that when Crean does leave Marquette it will be for an NBA position.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »

What leads you to conclude this? Crean is constantly talking about the NBA and it's quite clear (at least to me) that a move to the NBA is much more likely (and desirable to him) than a college move. I'll go so far as to predict that when Crean does leave Marquette it will be for an NBA position.

Everything that we've seen from Crean is that he likes being "The Boss." I have a hard time seeing him accept an NBA position where he was just the coach and not the total master of the universe. Crean will retire at Marquette.
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »

Actually I think it wouldn't happen because no NBA teams want to put their trust in NCAA coaches right now, and for that matter the NFL either.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »
I would definitely take a NC over TC anyday.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »

Everything that we've seen from Crean is that he likes being "The Boss." I have a hard time seeing him accept an NBA position where he was just the coach and not the total master of the universe. Crean will retire at Marquette.

I think Crean is close enough to be the all-time winningest coach at MU to want to stick around at least to reach that milestone.

He had 164 wins coming into this year, which puts him 132 away from Al McGuire's total.  26.4 wins per year over the next five years (counting this season) would do it--which is on the borderline of being conceivable.  That would be an average 14-4 conference record combined with 10 non-conference wins and an average of 2 in conference and post-season tournaments.

22 wins over six years most certainly is.  

The question in my mind is how long after reaching win #296 does he stick around?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 07:32:05 PM »
I would definitely take a NC over TC anyday.

I think the point was that TC would deliver that NC and then move on....that's the only way I would take it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 08:16:08 AM »
I have long thought that his next job will be in the NBA. Not so sure about the whole national title/Miami thing, but I do think he will be coaching an NBA team in the not too distant future.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 10:05:39 AM »
The NBA is a whole different beast. Crean could be successful in the NBA, but I think his style would have to change drastically. The tackling dummy would be out for sure. In the end, for selfish reasons, I hope Crean never goes to the NBA. I think as long as Crean is running the show, MU will be a top tier team every year. Also, Crean's committment to coaching and his pursuit of excellence is what makes the college game special. Follow coach K's lead and stay in the college ranks!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 10:15:14 AM »
I think as long as Crean is running the show, MU will be a top tier team every year.

We have been a "top tier team" exactly once in his 8 plus years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »
I think as long as Crean is running the show, MU will be a top tier team every year.

Sigh....define top tier.  I'd say every time this team has finished the season ranked, that makes it a top tier team.  I'd say every time this team has made the NCAA Tournament, that makes it a top tier team.

The NCAA tournament is a crap shoot, anything can happen on any given day.

jage

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:17 AM »
I would hope that if we win a nat'l title we would campaign like hell to keep him around. I think the only job (pro or college) he would leave marquette for is michigan state and even then i'm not sure. it would depend on where this program is when izzo retires. he's got a great thing here. dealing with 23 year-old millionares seems a lot less appealling than managing a successful college bball program. (to me at least).
You know what pressure is? It's when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don't notice their breasts. - Al McGuire

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »

Sigh....define top tier.  I'd say every time this team has finished the season ranked, that makes it a top tier team.  I'd say every time this team has made the NCAA Tournament, that makes it a top tier team.

The NCAA tournament is a crap shoot, anything can happen on any given day.

I think top tier means that we have a chance to advance to at least the Sweet 16. I don't think either of the past two years we had a team capable of doing that (hindsight being 20-20).

I do think we have a chance this year, if pre-conference performance is any indication.

This team is currently playing better than any of Crean's previous teams...including the FF team. I'm not saying they ARE better -- Jackson was a difference maker on that squad -- but they are playing at a higher level with greater consistency.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 11:17:30 AM »
I completely agree with PRN's last comment, this is the best Crean coached team I've seen so far. The consistency of play, the depth in the backcourt, and Crean has really improved his game coaching/strategy this year. I'd really love to see this team unleash some sort of "40 minutes of Hell" at some point, and it could be forthcoming during BE play.

This team is poised to finish first or second in the BE. They'll have an off shooting night one of these early BE games and lose to somebody they probably shouldn't, but their depth and consistent play bode well for the remainder of the season.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
Paul Arco is actually the head of the Marquette Club of Rockford.  I believe he works for the Rockford Park District in addition to having a radio show and newspaper column. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
That may be the case, but does a team that wasn't supposed to go to the Sweet 16 earn a "top tier" ranking then?

I guess it's all how you want to define top tier.  To me, if you're nationally ranked, you're a top tier team just by the entire definition of a national ranking.

Last year, for example, Wisconsin won 30 games, was ranked #1 in the country during the season, finished I think ranked 6th or something...received a #2 seed but didn't make the Sweet 16.  I'm sorry, I'd still say they were a "top tier" team regardless of them not making the Sweet 16.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »
I'd take that deal in a heartbeat, too.  Wouldn't want Crean to leave, but in my heart I give us maybe a 5% chance at best of winning another NCAA title in my lifetime.  It is very hard to do when there are about 70-80 major conference teams and another 10 or 20 who have some sort of chance (like Gonzaga, Xavier, etc).

Futher, maybe it's just me, but I don't see Crean as a successful NBA type coach.  The rah-rah, teach skills, work hard in practice stuff doesn't fly in the NBA (though it probably should).  There it is ALL relating to the players and keeping the right guys happy and having a solid GM.  All the NBA teams run basically the same isolation/inside-out stuff with a very few exceptions.  I know that having your living be dependent upon enticing 17 year olds to join your program is an unsettling way to make a living, but it seems to me that being a college coach is the best way to make a living as a basketball coach.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »

Would you take one NC and give up TC?  Hmmm..

Damn straight I would! 

With MU in the Big East, a recent Final-4 fresh off a NC...and a demonstrated willingness to pay a coach on the high end of the scale?  We would have no problem attracting some of the best coaching talent out there after a title win and our current situation would put MU ball on top for years to come.

Of course, even the best can stink up a coaching hire (see ND football), but loosing TC would be worth a NC in a heart beat.  I personally would hate to see him go, but TC has put MU in a situation that would make living without him very comfortable.