Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [New to PT] WTF is the Power 5?  (Read 4406 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[New to PT] WTF is the Power 5?
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »
Not related to the game today. Not related to Marquette directly. Not even that important in the big picture. But this is currently my biggest pet peeve and I had to hash it out in more than a few Tweets.

https://painttouches.com/2016/11/17/wtf-is-the-power-5/

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: [New to PT] WTF is the Power 5?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »
While I think that the Big East is one of the top two or three basketball conferences in the country, this is kind of the definition of a micro-aggression and complaining vociferously about it could be construed as evidence of the point being complained about. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

mug644

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:58:36 AM »
"Only Marquette and DePaul have yet to make an NCAA Tournament" since the reformation of the Big East.

This makes me oh so sad, and hope it drives the team to a bid this year.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
I can't believe how butt hurt Big East fans get over this. Who cares?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »
I was more concerned about it a couple years ago.  Honestly I thought it would render the BE as second-class citizens in a college athletics landscape dominated by money.

However, if there is one thing I have learned, is that the BE not only *CAN* compete, it most definitely *WILL* compete.  It doesn't matter the label.  So people can try to diminish it as much as they want.  It's all just bullsh*t.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
Gary Parrish was really annoying about this on the 11/10 CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast this week too. Ugh.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mens-college-basketball-podcast/id268800565

He claims that it is a "clearly defined term" and just said "Google it, I didn't come up with the term" and then claimed if you don't like the term take it up with the "people that run college athletics."  Is it an official term used by the NCAA? I thought NCAA just differentiated them as Automatic Qualifiers and Power 5 was simply a term those leagues used and ESPN and others were happy to oblige.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »
Gary Parrish was really annoying about this on the 11/10 CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast this week too. Ugh.

He claims that it is a "clearly defined term" and just said "Google it, I didn't come up with the term" and then claimed if you don't like the term take it up with the "people that run college athletics."  Is it an official term used by the NCAA? I thought NCAA just differentiated them as Automatic Qualifiers and Power 5 was simply a term those leagues used and ESPN and others were happy to oblige.

It was a term used specifically for football that people like Parish are mis-applying to basketball.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
Football is where the $$$$$ are, so football drives the conversation and terminology.

The Power 5 label does not hurt MU or the BE in any way regarding basketball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »

"Gary Parrish" is a "clearly defined term" as well.  I won't post that definition here, but the difference between these two "clearly defined terms" is that "Power 5" no longer means what it once did yet "Gary Parrish" is still the same old douche he always has been.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »
Always liked this tweet from Pomeroy:

@KenPomeroy
When used for college basketball, 'Power 5' is shorthand for '5 of the 6 best conferences', which is a weird thing to say.

https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/689143101525381120
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
I can't believe how butt hurt Big East fans get over this. Who cares?
It's a slap in the face.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
It's a slap in the face.
Oh c'mon, it's a misused term that's casually thrown around to group a large number of schools together.  The quote by Belein in the article points out him using "BCS-level", obviously everyone knows that BCS doesn't apply to basketball, but I can assure you that Belein considers Marquette a "BCS-level" opponent tonight.

And the writer's own research indicates that the term is hardly ever used.  80 tweets out of...what...hundreds of thousands?!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
Always liked this tweet from Pomeroy:

@KenPomeroy
When used for college basketball, 'Power 5' is shorthand for '5 of the 6 best conferences', which is a weird thing to say.

https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/689143101525381120

This is one of my favorites.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »
Oh c'mon, it's a misused term that's casually thrown around to group a large number of schools together.  The quote by Belein in the article points out him using "BCS-level", obviously everyone knows that BCS doesn't apply to basketball, but I can assure you that Belein considers Marquette a "BCS-level" opponent tonight.

And the writer's own research indicates that the term is hardly ever used.  80 tweets out of...what...hundreds of thousands?!
Totally agree - and hopefully PUX was using the phrase "if you see something, say something" with tongue firmly in cheek.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »
We're going to have 3 teams in the Top 15 on Monday.  I'm not worried what Walmart Wolverines think about us.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
We're going to have 3 teams in the Top 15 on Monday.  I'm not worried what Walmart Wolverines think about us.
They're thinking about IU instead of us.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »
If any conference isn't included in the Power 5 today, it's the SEC.

After Kentucky and Florida, there aren't many legitimate NCAA contenders. KenPom predicts just 5 of the 14 teams will finish with winning conference records.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:21:25 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
What are 5 conferences that have never been in my kitchen?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
What are 5 conferences that have never been in my kitchen?

Fabulous.  There really should have been a spinoff where Cliff and Norm had to live together.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Kz6Rw99Kk
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
Love it Andrei.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Kz6Rw99Kk

Kerfoot did some good Pure Michigan parodies.. I thought this one was much better.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/e/TWIdG6h3Ax0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/e/TWIdG6h3Ax0</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
Badger fans think this is hysterical. We all have such little brother syndrome about everything.