Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Game Day Article from The Michigan Daily  (Read 4294 times)

real chili 83

• All American

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Game Day Article from The Michigan Daily
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:38:48 AM »
Should be a good game.  Go Marquette!   Fire up!  Opportunity to send a Big Ten team crashing in flames.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
https://www.michigandaily.com/section/mens-basketball/wolverines-face-marquette-championship-round-2k-classic-madison-square

They feel their height rebounding advantage will prevail.

That is my concern. I hope Heldt and Hauser can help Luke neutralize that advantage.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »
https://www.michigandaily.com/section/mens-basketball/wolverines-face-marquette-championship-round-2k-classic-madison-square

They feel their height advantage will prevail.

Hope they play as many of their big guys at the same time as possible. We'll run circles around them for open threes, jumpers and drives — then run them into the ground.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »
The only big who is somewhat of a good defender or rebounder is Wilson. And that's only been this year against inferior competition. Could be a shoot out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
We need to get off to a good start

JD

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »
In the words of cbb.

"Guards game"

I feel we have that advantage.   Chalk up the W
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »

For those of you fixated with "bigs", remember the basic rule, "Fast Beats Big!"
Or, said in another way, "Speed Kills."

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »
Marquette handed Michigan its first loss of the 2016 season once before.
Men's hoops intends to follow the futbol ladies' example.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:05:09 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this Cheanham guy play.  I thought MU already had 13 schollies... must be the greatest walk-on ever or something.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 11:07:41 AM »
Last time I was this excited and unsure about one of our teams was 09 at the old spice classic with Zar and the midgets. Coincidently we rolled #15 Michigan in the semifinal, let's do it again!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this Cheanham guy play.  I thought MU already had 13 schollies... must be the greatest walk-on ever or something.

Heard his friend Dhake is paying his tuition.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
No getting around it, Michigan has one of the types of players that is going to be a challenging matchup for MU all year.    A 6'10 stretch 4.   (The other being the 6'8, 245 lb. mauler)    If MU is able to neutralize the stretch 4 tonight (A) we probably win and (B) it bodes well for the rest of the season.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »
We need to get off to a good start

We also need a strong finish

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »
No let downs during the middle, either.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
Who sets the pace could be a big factor.

KenPom ranks Marquette #51 for adjusted tempo, #31 for average possession length. Michigan is #300 and #342, respectively.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
No getting around it, Michigan has one of the types of players that is going to be a challenging matchup for MU all year.    A 6'10 stretch 4.   (The other being the 6'8, 245 lb. mauler)    If MU is able to neutralize the stretch 4 tonight (A) we probably win and (B) it bodes well for the rest of the season.

Who are you referencing?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
Who sets the pace could be a big factor.

KenPom ranks Marquette #51 for adjusted tempo, #31 for average possession length. Michigan is #300 and #342, respectively.

Good things  to look for in this game.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »

Probably not a faceguard, Harangody, or box-and-1 situation, but I agree that shutting down DJ Wilson (or Moritz... he's another 4 who can step outside but is much shakier from long-distance) is an absolute necessity to winning this game.  It may be as simple as disrupting the shot... Wilson shot 33% on 24 attempts from range last year and many of the shots Moritz knocked down from outside the paint last year were uncontested (presumably because nobody had a scouting report on him).

If you could get Moritz into foul trouble early and keep pace with Wilson, it's game over, but tonight's game could come down to conditioning... their top two scorers are (small sample size alert) averaging over 30 mpg, but it looks like they can go 9 deep with meaningful contributions.  I'd like to see a high-scoring game, because I think that favors Marquette, but if we can't get open looks and finish at the rim, we could find ourselves out of a run-and-gun game by halftime.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »

I'm not convinced Wilson is the real deal. He was way back of the rotation last season. He's feasted on undersized crappy teams so far this season. Could be for real or could be fools gold. I think Marcus is right about controlling the pace. Winner there wins the game
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »
I like our chances here,we need to pressure their guards on the perimeter. I think our depth and overall quickness will wear them down in the second half. If we continue passing the ball well, we should hit plenty of open shots. GO MU!!!!