Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] The season is nearly upon us, time to predict it  (Read 1841 times)

CrackedSidewalks

The season is nearly upon us, time to predict it

Marquette basketball is on the cusp of starting the 2016-17 so we're here to talk about it. First stop is to discuss and overreact to what we saw of the exhibition game against Rockhurst. As we talk about the game we also reference back to the "secret" scrimmage against Dayton from two weeks ago. We then talk about the first real game on the schedule, The Veteran's Classic at the US Naval Academy against Vanderbilt. We talk about what the game will look like and if we think Marquette prevails. With the first game prediction out of the way, we then prognosticate the entire season and compare it to the KenPom projections. While one of us is more optimistic than the other, we are both definitely on the positive side of the ledger for the season over all. To close out the projections and the episode we talk about who we think will be the MVP, Newcomer of the Year, and Breakout players this season. Let's get ready for some real basketball!    Download this episode (right click and save)
Source: The season is nearly upon us, time to predict it

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] The season is nearly upon us, time to predict it
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »
Afternoon bump
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:54:03 AM »
Enjoyed listening to the podcast on my commute.

I have heard and read it many times that college basketball rotations typically do not go further than 9, maybe 10 players, and many times an even shorter bench during league/tournament play.

I am curious as to why this is the case. Do teams typically not have 11 or more players who are worthy of PT? Do 9-10 players naturally show themselves to be superior and warrant all of the PT? Does involving more players prevent the core from jelling or performing at a consistent level?

I think many of us believe that this team is 11 deep and playing time/rotations have been debated here ad nauseam. If 11 players warrant a significant share of the minutes, is it possible that there will be a long bench or do coaches typically figure out a way to shorten it no matter how much talent there is?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »

I have heard and read it many times that college basketball rotations typically do not go further than 9, maybe 10 players, and many times an even shorter bench during league/tournament play.

I am curious as to why this is the case. Do teams typically not have 11 or more players who are worthy of PT? Do 9-10 players naturally show themselves to be superior and warrant all of the PT? Does involving more players prevent the core from jelling or performing at a consistent level?

I think many of us believe that this team is 11 deep and playing time/rotations have been debated here ad nauseam. If 11 players warrant a significant share of the minutes, is it possible that there will be a long bench or do coaches typically figure out a way to shorten it no matter how much talent there is?
I think players play themselves out of the rotation. Cohen's first two years he faded during the Big East season. Maybe as a junior will not, but then maybe Sam (being a freshmen fades) so I would expect the rotation to shrink from 11 to maybe 8 or 9 by time the Big East season starts.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 07:40:03 AM »

I think almost all teams only play 8-9 deep for two reasons: talent level at the 9-12 spots and game style/flow. Not to sound like Ners but to play 11 players in a game, you are really chopping minutes up into small segments or sitting people for long times. The only way that makes sense is if you are playing a very frenetic style where getting fresh legs in often is important.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
"The only way that makes sense is if you are playing a very frenetic style where getting fresh legs in often is important."

Which makes me wonder about the press. I'm guessing it would be good thing sometimes against Vanderbilt...but I only saw a token use in the Rockhust game.  Do we press?  We got a few small quick guys who can get after it...