[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2016-17 Hot Stove thread.  (Read 21111 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: 2016-17 Hot Stove thread.
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
Sale traded.  Moncada is a nice get.  How do White Sox fans feel about it?

Might as well clean house and look to move Frazier, Robertson, Cabrera, Quintana, Eaton, and Abreu at this point. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »
Love. It. Love. It. Love. It.

Trade Quintana, his market price is high, have the Astros & Nats keep bidding.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 12:58:11 PM »

Might as well clean house and look to move Frazier, Robertson, Cabrera, Quintana, Eaton, and Abreu at this point.

Not a Sox fan but I thought they'd get more. Moncada is a top 10 prospect and Kopech has a lot of potential but I thought they'd get at least one more highly regarded prospect. Basabe is erratic and Diaz is the token throw-in. We'll see. I hope it works out for them. It's fun when both the Cubs and Sox are good.

Word is that the Rockies are interested in Abreu. Quintana has some value and Robertson might too given the weak FA closer class.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
I like the John Jay signing for the Cubs.  Fowler isn't coming back, and if Jay is healthy, he's a good stick and very good defender.
I've read recently that they're trying to put Soler in a package to get Wade Davis.  Makes sense to me.  Obviously you'd like a young starter, but Soler's value is down.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:13 PM »

1. Yes, time to clean house. Dodgers apparently interested in Frazier. Colorado interested in Abreu. Sale sweepstakes losers (particularly Houston) interested in Quintana. Anderson and Rodon should be the only untouchables from the major league roster.

2. I think this is a reasonable return for Sale. Not a Shelby Miller robbery, but that wasn't going to happen. The purported Washington offer (Giolito, Robles) may have looked slightly better on paper, but there are more questions about Giolito than Moncada, and the Sox are pretty strong with pitching prospects (compared to an absolute dearth of position players). Kopech has top of the rotation stuff.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
I hope Tim Anderson can keep developing, as they finally can see a core develop between Anderson, Zack Collins, Moncada.

I trust the Sox to develop pitching, and they have Fulmer, Burdi, Adams, Kopech.

If you can swap Eaton/Quintana/Frazier/Abreu go for it. I hated the Nats offer for Sale, but I'd take it for Quintana right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »
I hope Tim Anderson can keep developing, as they finally can see a core develop between Anderson, Zack Collins, Moncada.

I trust the Sox to develop pitching, and they have Fulmer, Burdi, Adams, Kopech.

If you can swap Eaton/Quintana/Frazier/Abreu go for it. I hated the Nats offer for Sale, but I'd take it for Quintana right now.

You can add Alec Hansen to the list of high level pitching prospects. Best pure stuff in the organization. Just has to consistently harness it.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
I like the John Jay signing for the Cubs.  Fowler isn't coming back, and if Jay is healthy, he's a good stick and very good defender.
I've read recently that they're trying to put Soler in a package to get Wade Davis.  Makes sense to me.  Obviously you'd like a young starter, but Soler's value is down.

Jay is fine to share CF with Almora.  He can get on base and is versatile.  The team will miss Fowler quite a bit but bringing him back was probably not realistic. 

As a fan, I am probably biased regarding Soler.  His value certainly is down but one year of Davis is not enough for me personally in that scenario. 

I also hope and don't expect the Cubs to get Jansen for the duration and value he is looking for. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »
You can add Alec Hansen to the list of high level pitching prospects. Best pure stuff in the organization. Just has to consistently harness it.

Ahh, I did miss Hansen, good call.

2017 should be a throw away year, they'll pick 12th in the June draft. If they can draft well, and have money to spend in the 2018 mega free agent class, I'm on board with being patient and letting the kids play.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
Is Moncada Big League ready?  If not when?  If so, what to do with Lawrie, now that they just resigned him?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »
Nice haul for the Sox. I think the Nats rumors last night were just to spark a team like the Red Sox. I don't think they are done yet.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
Is Moncada Big League ready?  If not when?  If so, what to do with Lawrie, now that they just resigned him?

IMO, he be at Charlotte to start the season, but they'll be calling him up before September.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »

Lawrie was arb eligible, Sox and him agreed to a salary, so he wasn't re-signed, he was under contract (through 2017). I'm fine with Moncada up or down in 2017. They're not going to compete next year anyway.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 01:50:16 PM »
Wow, Red Sox are playing Moncada's entire contract.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »

1. I like this deal MUCH better than the one the Nats offered. Giolito scares me.

2. If we can get fair value for Quintana (he's been better than Sale the last 2 years and has an extra year of control), Eaton, Abreu, Frazier, Robertson and Jones I would trade them all. We'd come out of it with 12 or so top 100 prospects and be in good shape to get  a top 3 pick for at least 2 (likely 3) years. Sox park will be a ghost town for awhile but we weren't going anywhere with our core anyway.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:02 PM »
Wow, Red Sox are playing Moncada's entire contract.

Just saw that too...he was still due $30 plus million, that's insane.

White Sox really made out well here.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
Let me know when dat POS Braun is dumped for some used chew and a musty jockstrap, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »
IMO, he be at Charlotte to start the season, but they'll be calling him up before September.

I hope you're right, but I suspect they'll be a lot of pressure on the organization to bring him up early to show they got something out of this deal. Not sure exactly where his service time stands now, but wouldn't be a surprise to see the Sox give him the Kris Bryant treatment at the start of the season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »
Let me know when dat POS Braun is dumped for some used chew and a musty jockstrap, hey?

+1.

But not a horrible move by the Brewers today.  Villar now a 2nd baseman it seems.  Thanks for your efforts. Scooter!  Enjoy your next stop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »
I hope you're right, but I suspect they'll be a lot of pressure on the organization to bring him up early to show they got something out of this deal. Not sure exactly where his service time stands now, but wouldn't be a surprise to see the Sox give him the Kris Bryant treatment at the start of the season.

Moncada was up for a while last year with Boston (and struggled with the bat) so the Sox would have to hold him down a bit longer, which they should.  Plus, his struggles when he was called up give them an obvious reason to do so. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »

I agree with this analysis. They won't trade a year of control for a handful of games (or whatever it amounts to) - it's a rebuild not a reload.

brandx

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »

Word is that the Rockies are interested in Abreu. Quintana has some value and Robertson might too given the weak FA closer class.

Chapman, Jansen and Melancon plus a handful of middling talents are a weak free agent class?

brandx

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2016, 04:06:19 PM »
1. I like this deal MUCH better than the one the Nats offered. Giolito scares me.

2. If we can get fair value for Quintana (he's been better than Sale the last 2 years and has an extra year of control), Eaton, Abreu, Frazier, Robertson and Jones I would trade them all. We'd come out of it with 12 or so top 100 prospects and be in good shape to get  a top 3 pick for at least 2 (likely 3) years. Sox park will be a ghost town for awhile but we weren't going anywhere with our core anyway.

You sound like a FanGraph's reader. 8-)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2016, 04:11:35 PM »

No sense to have him up next year.  Keep the year of control. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
Chapman, Jansen and Melancon plus a handful of middling talents are a weak free agent class?

The Nationals, Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers and Giants all need (or needed in the Giants case) closers, at least.  That is more teams than closers.  There could be a decent market for Robertson.