[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2016-17 Hot Stove thread.  (Read 21114 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2016-17 Hot Stove thread.
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
I suppose you can never say never but I don't see any possibility of that occurring, especially after what he was able to come back and accomplish in the Series.

And there's no reason not think he'll be able to play LF next year.

I wouldn't completely rule out trading Schwarber, I mean, it's not like the guy will continue to be a career .412 hitter. Right now might be the best time to trade him, considering he hit .246 last year.

I'd love to keep him, but unless the Ricketts can fast track the DH rule into the NL (makes no sense that it isn't there already) he is better suited as an AL player. If someone will give up the farm (system) for him or a proven star, I could see dealing him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Brewers off season:  Can they find a place to trade Braun?  Other than that...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Peddle da mofo for some stickum and a used rosin bag, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »
I wouldn't completely rule out trading Schwarber, I mean, it's not like the guy will continue to be a career .412 hitter. Right now might be the best time to trade him, considering he hit .246 last year.

I'd love to keep him, but unless the Ricketts can fast track the DH rule into the NL (makes no sense that it isn't there already) he is better suited as an AL player. If someone will give up the farm (system) for him or a proven star, I could see dealing him.

He's never going to be a great defender but his trouble in LF is way overstated due to a some poor plays last year in the NLCS.

His OPS was .842 and his OPS+ was 130 so I can't say I care too much about his .246 average. Ultimately I do think he hits for average as well, and LH power and plate discipline like that is hard to find. Plus Theo absolutely loves him.

Anything can happen but I'm pretty confident in saying he's not going anywhere.  There's not too many players I would consider moving him for, and certainly not any prospects.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
He's never going to be a great defender but his trouble in LF is way overstated due to a some poor plays last year in the NLCS.

His OPS was .842 and his OPS+ was 130 so I can't say I care too much about his .246 average. Ultimately I do think he hits for average as well, and LH power and plate discipline like that is hard to find. Plus Theo absolutely loves him.

Anything can happen but I'm pretty confident in saying he's not going anywhere.  There's not too many players I would consider moving him for, and certainly not any prospects.

His poor play in LF might be exemplified depending on how he comes off this injury. And they can't throw him at first base like Joe Mauer, they already have rizzo.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
I've said it before, but I'd be 100% behind a two-three season Sox tank job. That said their recent track record of drafting hasn't been great at all, but I'm beyond tired of the seemingly every year band aid fix by picking up guys like Dunn, LaRoche, Melky, Frazier. It's frustrating that they should be staring across town and seeing how you can trade assets to get young position players and hitting on top 5 picks to produce success. I realize the Sox philosophy starts at the top, and won't change though in the next few years.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »
I've said it before, but I'd be 100% behind a two-three season Sox tank job. That said their recent track record of drafting hasn't been great at all, but I'm beyond tired of the seemingly every year band aid fix by picking up guys like Dunn, LaRoche, Melky, Frazier. It's frustrating that they should be staring across town and seeing how you can trade assets to get young position players and hitting on top 5 picks to produce success. I realize the Sox philosophy starts at the top, and won't change though in the next few years.

As a north side fan, it's really odd. I grew so accustomed to the Tribune being happy with Sosa bombs and band aid fixes that it's weird to be that envy of the league type team.

brandx

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »

They ain't trading Schwarber unless they can get a young #1 starter.

In other words, he is going nowhere.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »
They ain't trading Schwarber unless they can get a young #1 starter.

In other words, he is going nowhere.

If he's part of a package to get Chris Sale it could be a "win win" for both sides of town.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 09:02:18 PM »
If he's part of a package to get Chris Sale it could be a "win win" for both sides of town.

Could be. That's why I said a young #1 starter. It would be the only way they would let him go. And there are only a couple guys who would qualify.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
Could be. That's why I said a young #1 starter. It would be the only way they would let him go. And there are only a couple guys who would qualify.

I think Sale's trade window is passing, very quickly and possibly closed to some GMs after his slashing incident.

Schwarber isn't on the table for Sale for Hoyer.

I would make the trade though in a second.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:16:57 PM by PTM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
I think Sale's trade window is passing, very quickly and possibly closed to some GMs after his slashing incident.

Schwarber isn't on the table for Sale for Hoyer.

I would make the trade though in a second.

The Cubs payed a pretty sizable price for a 1/2 year rental of a relief pitcher who had been suspended for 50 games for violence toward his girlfriend.

You honestly don't think they'd be interested in 3 years of cheap control over one of the top starters in baseball due his violence against some crappy looking uniforms?

Not saying you're wrong but it doesn't seem logical.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
The Cubs payed a pretty sizable price for a 1/2 year rental of a relief pitcher who had been suspended for 50 games for violence toward his girlfriend.

You honestly don't think they'd be interested in 3 years of cheap control over one of the top starters in baseball due his violence against some crappy looking uniforms?

Not saying you're wrong but it doesn't seem logical.

Cutting a clubhouse full of jerseys is a tipping point of an overworked pitcher with a classic gut wretching delivery.

Again, I'd do it, but I don't think Hoyer would be interested.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 06:53:40 AM by PTM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »
I can't see any circumstance the Sox trade Sale to the Cubs. Not saying it might not be a win-win, but sending your ace to the cross-town rival just seems really unlikely.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »
Cubs declined Hammel's option which I don't like and doesn't make sense to me as a standalone move.

I'm very surprised but assume it will make more sense as the offseason progresses. But in a vacuum I think it is a poor decision.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:53:39 PM by Vander Blue Man Group »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2016, 10:15:40 PM »
I can't see any circumstance the Sox trade Sale to the Cubs. Not saying it might not be a win-win, but sending your ace to the cross-town rival just seems really unlikely.

I agree. I'm a Sox fan, but regrettably admit that they might shy away from a deal that would help the Cubs even if it would help the Sox more.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »
Cubs declined Hammel's option which I don't like and doesn't make sense to me as a standalone move.

I'm very surprised but assume it will make more sense as the offseason progresses. But in a vacuum I think it is a poor decision.

They didnt bring Hammel along with them to the playoffs. He was spotty during the season. Looks like Montgomery is going to be in the 5 spot.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 05:44:14 AM »

Hammel hates Maddon and Maddon isn't a fan of Hammel.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 06:16:37 AM »

Hammel is a fine pitcher, but I understand not committing money to a guy who is 34. He might have a few years left, but he won't be the future of the staff going forward. If they have confidence in Montgomery, who's been a starter before, I'm all for it. Especially as it adds another lefty arm to the rotation.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2016, 08:36:55 AM »
Hammel is a fine pitcher, but I understand not committing money to a guy who is 34. He might have a few years left, but he won't be the future of the staff going forward. If they have confidence in Montgomery, who's been a starter before, I'm all for it. Especially as it adds another lefty arm to the rotation.

Hammel and Maddon didn't exactly see eye to eye. He had a FIP of 4.48, he's 34 years old and no team wants to pay their 5th starter $12M. Montgomery will likely make about 5% of that, plus he's a lefty and performed well in 5 spot starts this season. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs kept Montgomery in the bullpen and traded Soler and prospects for a starter.

Sidenote: True, the Sox wouldn't want to trade Sale to Cubs...but the Cubs wouldn't want to trade Schwarber to the Sox either.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »

Oh, I think it could happen. The teams have made big deals in the past (Sammy Sosa for George Bell, Ron Santo for Steve Stone and Steve Swisher) and I think the Sox would rather send Sale to the NL if given a choice.
But I don't think it makes sense for either team. The Cubs obviously don't need Sale to compete, and I wonder how much more they want to thin their system after giving up some top prospects at the deadline this year. Realistically, getting Sale is going to cost one MLB proven young player (Schwarber, Reed) and a few legit prospects. I don't see the Cubs either willing or needing to part with that when they're already got three quality starters and a very good middle of the rotation guy in Lackey for another season.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
Hammel hates Maddon and Maddon isn't a fan of Hammel.

Personally this just seems like speculation to me based on Hammel not liking being pulled early from a few starts.  I'd be surprised if that played any significant role in the decision.

Those are fair points.  I guess the way I see it is that you had a solid pitcher at locked in at a very reasonable rate in today's marketplace.  While he was a #5 on the Cubs, he was certainly not the quality of a #5 compared with the rest of the league. 

They have Monty for 5 more years so maybe they wanted to see what they had this year with him as a starter.  But I would have been good with Monty being in that swing role for one more year.  As of now, this adversely impacts the rotation depth. 

I'm sure it will make sense after more moves are made and that money is reallocated but on the surface I think they should have picked it up. 

Hammel and Maddon didn't exactly see eye to eye. He had a FIP of 4.48, he's 34 years old and no team wants to pay their 5th starter $12M. Montgomery will likely make about 5% of that, plus he's a lefty and performed well in 5 spot starts this season. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs kept Montgomery in the bullpen and traded Soler and prospects for a starter.

Sidenote: True, the Sox wouldn't want to trade Sale to Cubs...but the Cubs wouldn't want to trade Schwarber to the Sox either.

I'd prefer Monty in that swingman/6th starter this year with the eye towards moving him into the rotation next year when Lackey and probably Arrieta are gone.  Maybe they want to see what they have in Montgomery this year before handing him a spot next season. 

This will probably work out financially for Hammel but overall he was a solid piece at a reasonable price. 

I obviously trust Theo but was very surprised by this decision. 

They didnt bring Hammel along with them to the playoffs. He was spotty during the season. Looks like Montgomery is going to be in the 5 spot.

As I've said above, I'd rather have Montgomery in that swing rule.  I imagine they're going to add another SP via trade at this point.  Should be interesting. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 10:18:53 AM »
Personally this just seems like speculation to me based on Hammel not liking being pulled early from a few starts.  I'd be surprised if that played any significant role in the decision.

Those are fair points.  I guess the way I see it is that you had a solid pitcher at locked in at a very reasonable rate in today's marketplace.  While he was a #5 on the Cubs, he was certainly not the quality of a #5 compared with the rest of the league. 

They have Monty for 5 more years so maybe they wanted to see what they had this year with him as a starter.  But I would have been good with Monty being in that swing role for one more year.  As of now, this adversely impacts the rotation depth. 

I'm sure it will make sense after more moves are made and that money is reallocated but on the surface I think they should have picked it up. 

I'd prefer Monty in that swingman/6th starter this year with the eye towards moving him into the rotation next year when Lackey and probably Arrieta are gone.  Maybe they want to see what they have in Montgomery this year before handing him a spot next season. 

This will probably work out financially for Hammel but overall he was a solid piece at a reasonable price. 

I obviously trust Theo but was very surprised by this decision. 

As I've said above, I'd rather have Montgomery in that swing rule.  I imagine they're going to add another SP via trade at this point.  Should be interesting.

It shouldn't be that surprising. The Cubs aren't strapped for cash, but $12M is a lot of money to pay for a back of the rotation pitcher who you don't trust to pitch in the postseason.

The Cubs were rumored to be interested in Jake Odorizzi at the deadline. The Rays have some young, talented pitchers close to being MLB-ready but they could use some hitters (Soler, Candelario, another prospect?).

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »
It shouldn't be that surprising. The Cubs aren't strapped for cash, but $12M is a lot of money to pay for a back of the rotation pitcher who you don't trust to pitch in the postseason.

The Cubs were rumored to be interested in Jake Odorizzi at the deadline. The Rays have some young, talented pitchers close to being MLB-ready but they could use some hitters (Soler, Candelario, another prospect?).

I'm not saying we're the Yankees but the additional $10 million shouldn't have been any kind of hindrance.  In the grand scheme, it's not going to be a big deal but the consensus was that the option was going to be picked up. 

After not doing so, I would be stunned if they don't pick up a young pitcher with 3-4 years of control.  But those guys are going to be VERY expensive. 

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
I wonder if doing right by Hammel played any role in it. Guy came back in free agency after being traded away. Perhaps they decided to let him pursue a longer/more lucrative deal and choose his own destination rather than take whatever middling prospect or relieve they could get for him.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American

feedback