[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UWM Athletics gets a nice gift  (Read 2293 times)

GGGG

• All American
UWM Athletics gets a nice gift
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:40:21 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uwm/2016/10/18/uwm-athletics-gets-1-million-gift/92225946/

And then there is this gem:

“I could have given the money to the business school,” said Sitzberger, the CEO of the Brookfield-based accounting firm Sitzberger Hau and Co. “But I thought the money would be better spent to try to develop a basketball program similar to what Marquette has."

UWM could spend this entire gift in one year and still not reach 50% of Marquette's annual basketball budget.  Probably not even a third.

dgies9156

• All American
Re: UWM Athletics gets a nice gift
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »
If UWM wants to be us, I'd suggest the following:

1) Build a basketball budget of at least $15 million.

2) Hire a coach with a minimum salary of $2.5 million

3) Create a massive recruiting budget.

4) Find a new arena (and the Bucks' arena already has a tenant).

5) Leave that rinky-dink conference you're in and either join the Big 12 or the AAC.

6) Move to another city. There is no place I can think of that has two Top 25 college basketball powerhouses located in it.  Philadelphia comes the closest but none of the Big 5 match Villanova. Since Marquette isn't going anywhere, you may want to consider Sheboygan, or maybe Superior? I heard Superior is nice two months of the year!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »

1) Build a basketball budget of at least $15 million.

2) Hire a coach with a minimum salary of $2.5 million

3) Create a massive recruiting budget.

5) Leave that rinky-dink conference you're in and either join the Big 12 or the AAC.

6) Move to another city. There is no place I can think of that has two Top 25 college basketball powerhouses located in it.  Philadelphia comes the closest but none of the Big 5 match Villanova. Since Marquette isn't going anywhere, you may want to consider Sheboygan, or maybe Superior? I heard Superior is nice two months of the year!

Cincinnati.

Duke and UNC are further than MU and UWM, but are pretty dang close to each other.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uwm/2016/10/18/uwm-athletics-gets-1-million-gift/92225946/

“I could have given the money to the business school,” said Sitzberger, the CEO of the Brookfield-based accounting firm Sitzberger Hau and Co. “But I thought the money would be better spent to try to develop a basketball program similar to what Marquette has."

UWM could spend this entire gift in one year and still not reach 50% of Marquette's annual basketball budget.  Probably not even a third.

$1M for a basketball program similar to MU... that's a pretty serious miscalculation for anyone, let alone an accountant.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »

$1 million is only 50% of our annual budget?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 01:46:48 PM »
$1 million is only 50% of our annual budget?

No.  In addition to their annual budget.  Sorry.

Ours is about $10M.  Theirs is about $3M.  (From what I understand.)

source?

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »
It won't make them Marquette, but a few more similar gifts could elevate them to perennial kings of the Horizon. Butler did pretty well in that role. I wouldn't mind UWM getting to a point where they were competitive enough to make a series worth our time.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 06:56:08 AM »
Cincinnati.

Duke and UNC are further than MU and UWM, but are pretty dang close to each other.

OK, I concede those two. But UWM isn't Xavier to our Cincinnati (or vice versa) and they certainly aren't North Carolina to our Duke.

I wish them no ill will, but there is no chance anytime in my lifetime that UWM is going to spend the money on coaches, facilities and recruiting to get anywhere close to us. They're occasionally good enough to win the Horizon League and once in awhile they'll be good enough to win a game in the NCAA.

But for them to be really good will take a massive up-front expense, huge ongoing expenses and a commitment to be patient while all this comes together. We at Marquette know how difficult the patience can be! And, while Wisconsin has more top D1 talent than it used to have, there isn't enough 3 star to 5 star recruits in the state to support three high major programs plus a mid-major at UW-GB.

I'm glad someone cares about them, but their realistic aspiration should be Mid-Major.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »
You can't really compare the University of Cincinnati (or Houston, Pittsburgh, etc.) to UWM.

UC is bigger (40,000 v. 25,000), has a larger endowment ($1.2B v. $200M) has a law school, medical school and functions like a large research university. 

UWM is a former teachers college that has raised its profile a lot in the last 20 years, but the state isn't exactly investing money into the school to transform it into something "bigger."  It is primarily an undergraduate school of commuter students. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 08:49:44 AM »
OK, I concede those two. But UWM isn't Xavier to our Cincinnati (or vice versa) and they certainly aren't North Carolina to our Duke.

I wish them no ill will, but there is no chance anytime in my lifetime that UWM is going to spend the money on coaches, facilities and recruiting to get anywhere close to us. They're occasionally good enough to win the Horizon League and once in awhile they'll be good enough to win a game in the NCAA.

But for them to be really good will take a massive up-front expense, huge ongoing expenses and a commitment to be patient while all this comes together. We at Marquette know how difficult the patience can be! And, while Wisconsin has more top D1 talent than it used to have, there isn't enough 3 star to 5 star recruits in the state to support three high major programs plus a mid-major at UW-GB.

I'm glad someone cares about them, but their realistic aspiration should be Mid-Major.

You can't really compare the University of Cincinnati (or Houston, Pittsburgh, etc.) to UWM.

UC is bigger (40,000 v. 25,000), has a larger endowment ($1.2B v. $200M) has a law school, medical school and functions like a large research university. 

UWM is a former teachers college that has raised its profile a lot in the last 20 years, but the state isn't exactly investing money into the school to transform it into something "bigger."  It is primarily an undergraduate school of commuter students. 

I'm not saying UWM is or can be Cinci.  I was just providing an example of a city with "two top 25 college basketball powerhouses located in it."  Whether Cincinnati and Xavier are both "top 25 college basketball powerhouses" is up for debate, but so is whether Marquette is or not.

My point is that while UWM will never be a "top 25 college basketball powerhouse," there are hundreds of reasons for it that I would put before Milwaukee already having one "top 25 college basketball powerhouse" in it in the form of Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 08:56:50 AM »
Well yeah I think dgeis is wrong about that.  There is no reason why you can't have a city with two basketball powers in it.  My guess is that it's mostly due to historical coincidence that most don't.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »
Well yeah I think dgeis is wrong about that.  There is no reason why you can't have a city with two basketball powers in it.  My guess is that it's mostly due to historical coincidence that most don't.

Major universities typically don't co-locate in one city without hilarious consequences.  I call it the "IUPUI Principle"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »

But UWM has the School of Freshwater Science.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »

Dgies believes it is extremely unlikely you will have two Top 25 powerhouses in the same city -- but, as other posters have pointed out (much to my chagrin), possible.

Dgies also believes that the upgraded teachers' college over by the lake doesn't have the will or commitment to build anything close to what we have. And, folks, the Cheesehead talent pool for basketball isn't big enough to sustain three top flite Division 1 teams. Anyone can go national, but the ability to sustain your program depends in part on local and regional talent.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
Dgies believes it is extremely unlikely you will have two Top 25 powerhouses in the same city -- but, as other posters have pointed out (much to my chagrin), possible.

Dgies also believes that the upgraded teachers' college over by the lake doesn't have the will or commitment to build anything close to what we have. And, folks, the Cheesehead talent pool for basketball isn't big enough to sustain three top flite Division 1 teams. Anyone can go national, but the ability to sustain your program depends in part on local and regional talent.

I agree with everything Dgies says here.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
I agree with everything Dgies says here.

Ok.  But I'm curious as to whether Dgies agrees with everything that Dgies said there?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »
Ok.  But I'm curious as to whether Dgies agrees with everything that Dgies said there?

Check back with me tomorrow Benny!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 01:54:35 PM »
Check back with Dgies tomorrow Benny!

FIFY.  Once you make the jump to third-person, you can't jump back.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »

Jimmy agrees with this analysis.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »

Dgies would like to know if this a Scoop rule where a second offense is punishable by banishment to the Chicos Bail Bonds suspension center?

:-)

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 10:24:50 AM »

I'm not getting into UWM wanting to be like us, I'm more changing the subject. The UWMPA upgrades that have went into this summer with Admirals and the WCD of 6.3 million are very excellent! Arena has a classic clean fresh look to it.

source?

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2016, 08:29:09 PM »
I'm not getting into UWM wanting to be like us, I'm more changing the subject. The UWMPA upgrades that have went into this summer with Admirals and the WCD of 6.3 million are very excellent! Arena has a classic clean fresh look to it.

I've only seen pictures, but it certainly looks like they've done a lot of improvements.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 09:40:47 AM »
Every seat replaced. New HD scoreboard. Bathrooms re-done. Brand new model style team store. Lobby re-store to the classic floor.
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2016/10/10/first-look-inside-the-renovated-uw-milwaukee.html?ana=twt

https://twitter.com/UWMPantherArena/status/789511704422080513

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
Very smart for the Wisconsin District to upgrade the Arena and pair it with the new Bucks place.  It seems a shame that the BC is the one getting torn down, but it makes the most sense.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Mecca is da Wrigley of MKE, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback