collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marcus Lemonis/Camping World  (Read 4525 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Marcus Lemonis/Camping World
« on: October 07, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »
It is nice to be Marcus Lemonis (early 90s MU grad)

The star of the CNBC show "The Profit" took his company Camping World (ticker: CWH) public today.

Camping world is really a holdings company of the dozens and dozens of acquisitions he has done, mainly revolving around RVs (but lots of other things as well).  CWH is also the title sponsor of the NASCAR Truck series.  CWH currently has over 7000 employees and, as of this writing, it is up 5% from its IPO price.

The market capitalization of the CWH is around $450 million meaning that Lemonis 38.33% ownership of CWH has a value of $174 million.  Add to that his personal investments (for which is has a family office with 15 employees in Lake Forest to manage it), his reality show ("The Profit") and, oh yeah, he was (or still is) dating Bethany Frankel (The Real Housewives of NYC star).

All in all a good day for the guy rumored to be the person that gives enough money to have the new business school named after him.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Marcus Lemonis/Camping World
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »
It is nice to be Marcus Lemonis (early 90s MU grad)

The star of the CNBC show "The Profit" took his company Camping World (ticker: CWH) public today.

Camping world is really a holdings company of the dozens and dozens of acquisitions he has done, mainly revolving around RVs (but lots of other things as well).  CWH is also the title sponsor of the NASCAR Truck series.  CWH currently has over 7000 employees and, as of this writing, it is up 5% from its IPO price.

The market capitalization of the CWH is around $450 million meaning that Lemonis 38.33% ownership of CWH has a value of $174 million.  Add to that his personal investments (for which is has a family office with 15 employees in Lake Forest to manage it), his reality show ("The Profit") and, oh yeah, he was (or still is) dating Bethany Frankel (The Real Housewives of NYC star).

All in all a good day for the guy rumored to be the person that gives enough money to have the new business school named after him.
Great work Marcus. I wonder how many of The Profit investments work out.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
If by "early" you mean "mid" 90's
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »
Since I know Skeletor Frankel's ex-husband, Lemonis would rarely get caught in such a bad investment.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 05:01:12 AM »
Didn't realize "the new business school" was something for sure regardless of donor. Have there been any announcements to this effect?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:16:24 AM »
Didn't realize "the new business school" was something for sure regardless of donor. Have there been any announcements to this effect?

A new Bus Ad building is part of the university's long term plan. Of course,  it won't come to fruition if there isn't any money to pay for it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:40:02 AM »
A new Bus Ad building is part of the university's long term plan. Of course,  it won't come to fruition if there isn't any money to pay for it.

Correct, and the rumor is the University is courting Lemonis to write a big enough check to put his name on it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »

This was stated when I took the campus tour during reunion weekend this past summer.  One of the other schools would move into the old business building (I can't remember which one?).

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 11:31:15 AM »
This was stated when I took the campus tour during reunion weekend this past summer.  One of the other schools would move into the old business building (I can't remember which one?).
Poor guys. Not the best facility.

Looking forward to seeing what they do for the new building. Far overdue.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »
So I don't think I'm sharing anything I'm not supposed to.

The master plan calls for the new Bus Ad. space to be behind the new (and ultimately completed) engineering space essentially on the spot of today's Rec Center.  Not sure if it'll face Clybourn or 16th. (Probably both in all honesty.)  I have not personally heard anything about the re-purposing of the existing building.

But we're several years and multiple projects down the road unless something changes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »
The question I have is would he have the business *school* named after him?  Or the new business building?  Those are two different things.

The "Lemonis College of Business" (similar to the Mendoza School at Notre Dame or the Tuck School at Dartmouth) would be a permanent name on the College and money could be used for endowment, building or pretty much anything related to the school.

The new business building, similar to David A. Stratz Hall, would simply be on that building which would be in place for as long as that building exists.  Money would likely only go toward that specific facility.

The price tag on the former would be much larger than the price tag on the latter.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »

I don't remember which one other than the guide said they were sharing a building now with another school?  Does that mean anything?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »

My guess would be the College of Education.  I believe they are the only school that does not have its own building (other than Arts and Sciences).
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 06:53:51 PM »
My guess would be the College of Education.  I believe they are the only school that does not have its own building (other than Arts and Sciences).

The MuScoop School of Lawsonomy, with specializations in various forms of Idleness?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 07:46:12 PM »
The question I have is would he have the business *school* named after him?  Or the new business building?  Those are two different things.

The "Lemonis College of Business" (similar to the Mendoza School at Notre Dame or the Tuck School at Dartmouth) would be a permanent name on the College and money could be used for endowment, building or pretty much anything related to the school.

The new business building, similar to David A. Stratz Hall, would simply be on that building which would be in place for as long as that building exists.  Money would likely only go toward that specific facility.

The price tag on the former would be much larger than the price tag on the latter.

That is your answer ... who much does he want to give.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 07:48:52 PM »

About two years ago the school was presented with a proposal.  It was right out of google with an "open architecture" meaning no one had offices.  It had plenty of conference room and "thinking pods" as the future office is your laptop.

This proposal got a lot of pushback from the more traditional types (they could not envision not having an office).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »
About two years ago the school was presented with a proposal.  It was right out of google with an "open architecture" meaning no one had offices.  It had plenty of conference room and "thinking pods" as the future office is your laptop.

This proposal got a lot of pushback from the more traditional types (they could not envision not having an office).

Was this proposal by a donor?
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 11:05:28 PM »
Was this proposal by a donor?

It was the proposal from the architects hired to design the building.  It was presented as "the future of corporate offices."  Nothing more specific or concrete than that ... just and idea for consideration.

The take away from the person that detailed me on the proposal and reaction was despite everyone agreeing that the future of business was the way silicon valley operates (Google as portrayed in the "the Intern" or Facebook protrayed in "The Social Network"), some are not really ready for it.

This person also speculated that some did not like the lack of a physical hierarchy... this means that the dean gets the corner office and the more tenured professors get the larger office with the better views and the assistants gets the cramped office with no view.  In the google structure you have no physical space for yourself.  Your office is your laptop and you walk around the premise conducting your job.

MU is not alone with this thinking.  McDonalds is moving into the west loop into the old Harpo studios into a campus strucutured like Google.  A lot of the old McDonald fossils pushed back hard on this.  They like their country club memberships, measuring their success by the size of their office and talking about their assistants like Trump's video.  This is how things are done!!!

Ditto Northwestern Mutual that is building a google like building accross the street from their headquarters.  And General Electric moving from Stamford to Boston.

Business is understanding the future of every business is tech.  The driver is to structure their office and work environment to attract Millennials that will design the apps and concepts that will bring them into the future.  The current office structure, which evolved from the "Mad Men" era is over.  This is not going down well with 50 something baby boomers.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »

I love the design at the business school where my son is (Elon).  At one end of the building they have a three story rotunda that is the student gathering area in the building (couches, study carrels, comfy chairs, etc.).  Directly ringing the area are all the professors' offices.  So, they have offices, but they are right next to where the students all hang out in the business school.  I think it's a nice design and is reflected in their other buildings as well.  The professors have their offices, but they're in very close contact with students.  It's pretty different than what I remember of most of the buildings at Marquette and CWRU, but maybe it's common now.  I know Elon has included very similar designs in other new buildings.  They're actively trying to use architecture to drive student/faculty interaction.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 08:09:20 AM »
It was the proposal from the architects hired to design the building.  It was presented as "the future of corporate offices."  Nothing more specific or concrete than that ... just and idea for consideration.

The take away from the person that detailed me on the proposal and reaction was despite everyone agreeing that the future of business was the way silicon valley operates (Google as portrayed in the "the Intern" or Facebook protrayed in "The Social Network"), some are not really ready for it.

This person also speculated that some did not like the lack of a physical hierarchy... this means that the dean gets the corner office and the more tenured professors get the larger office with the better views and the assistants gets the cramped office with no view.  In the google structure you have no physical space for yourself.  Your office is your laptop and you walk around the premise conducting your job.

MU is not alone with this thinking.  McDonalds is moving into the west loop into the old Harpo studios into a campus strucutured like Google.  A lot of the old McDonald fossils pushed back hard on this.  They like their country club memberships, measuring their success by the size of their office and talking about their assistants like Trump's video.  This is how things are done!!!

Ditto Northwestern Mutual that is building a google like building accross the street from their headquarters.  And General Electric moving from Stamford to Boston.

Business is understanding the future of every business is tech.  The driver is to structure their office and work environment to attract Millennials that will design the apps and concepts that will bring them into the future.  The current office structure, which evolved from the "Mad Men" era is over.  This is not going down well with 50 something baby boomers.

I understand there has been some movement away from the open space concept, and for good reason.  I have worked in an environment like that, and it was awful.  It is really hard to focus on a complicated problem when there is a foosball tournament going on 50 feet away from your desk, or your boss, who is going through a messy divorce, is screaming at his estranged wife on the other side of the half-wall.   

I totally get how an open plan encourages collaboration and teamwork, but there is something to be said about having some privacy and quiet space. 

Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 09:01:08 AM »
I understand there has been some movement away from the open space concept, and for good reason.  I have worked in an environment like that, and it was awful.  It is really hard to focus on a complicated problem when there is a foosball tournament going on 50 feet away from your desk, or your boss, who is going through a messy divorce, is screaming at his estranged wife on the other side of the half-wall.   

I totally get how an open plan encourages collaboration and teamwork, but there is something to be said about having some privacy and quiet space.

In case I wasn't clear, the professors' offices at Elon's business school are not open space.  They are offices with doors...they just happen to surround the students' space.  The focus is on proximity, not open space.  They cannot get to or from their offices without walking through the students' main gathering areas.  The experience I recall as a student was that offices were usually in a separate part of the building, so student/faculty interactions outside of class typically didn't happen unless specifically intended (and often scheduled).  Elon is trying to design its buildings to encourage spontaneous interaction.  But they're doing it in a way that preserves privacy (which is important for some professor/student interactions) and quiet space.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »
In case I wasn't clear, the professors' offices at Elon's business school are not open space.  They are offices with doors...they just happen to surround the students' space.  The focus is on proximity, not open space.  They cannot get to or from their offices without walking through the students' main gathering areas.  The experience I recall as a student was that offices were usually in a separate part of the building, so student/faculty interactions outside of class typically didn't happen unless specifically intended (and often scheduled).  Elon is trying to design its buildings to encourage spontaneous interaction.  But they're doing it in a way that preserves privacy (which is important for some professor/student interactions) and quiet space.

I totally get that.  I was responding to  Jesse L.'s post that everyone should emulate the hip tech industries by having a completely open floor plan and we geezers better get with the program and stop trying to protect our old-fashioned, productivity-stifling private offices.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »
The MuScoop School of Lawsonomy, with specializations in various forms of Idleness?

Anybody have some frontage along I-94 where we could put up a sign?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
I totally get that.  I was responding to  Jesse L.'s post that everyone should emulate the hip tech industries by having a completely open floor plan and we geezers better get with the program and stop trying to protect our old-fashioned, productivity-stifling private offices.

In the future, perhaps I should look more closely to see which post you are responding to.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 10:27:47 AM »

I personally know of a Fortune 500 (non-tech) company who went to the open/shared-space concepts earlier this year.  Six months in, they polled the employees about positive/negative reactions to the new office, and as expected, it fell completely along generational lines. 

Unexpectedly, it was the older employees (who were initially the most opposed) who were raving about it, and the younger employees (who were initially all for it) are the ones now railing against it.

So while we have all of these studies and experts showing us how Millennials eschew tradition and crave public, shared, collaborative work environments, still remaining is the mentality of "office = achievement" ingrained into our society, and of course, we all know that there's nothing that Millennials crave more than public displays of their own accomplishments.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.