Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Your favorite MU story to never see the light of day  (Read 17101 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Your favorite MU story to never see the light of day
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
I tucked a very, very drunk Joe Nethen into bed one night.

Did you ever change his Walkman batteries for him?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »
Did you ever change his Walkman batteries for him?

Maybe one event proceeded the other?  Did he listen to his Walkman before going to bed passing out?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2016, 01:54:12 PM »
Your family responsible for the bikes, too?

Keefe

Best part of the pimp coats was they were gifts from my family!!!

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2016, 02:47:08 PM »
One day playing pickup ball at the Rec Center I found myself playing a "pickup" team of guys from the team.  After one particular defensive rebound John Luerk had the look in his eye he was going to go coast to coast.  Being the first man back from my team and faced with a charging varsity basketball player, five feet inside the free throw line I stop, set my feet and put my hands straight up in the air, thinking he'd go around me to the basket. John took my position/stance as a challenge and decided to dunk over the top of me (I'm 6'4" myself).  He missed the dunk, it hurt like HELL and he was absolutely stunned that I didn't bail at the last second, getting the hell out of his way.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:48:45 PM by lurch91 »

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
Once saw Vander and Derrick at a house party. This was during a season in which Junior was the starting PG, and a frustrating one at that. I drunkenly told them that Derrick needed to be the starting point guard, because obviously no one could be worse than Junior right? They laughed and shrugged it off.

A few minutes later, VB pulled me aside and said "trust me, you do NOT want him to be the starting point." Then we did a shot of Rumpleminze together and Vander threw up. Or maybe that was me?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »
Driving LIMOs you get a lot of interesting interactions.

Teve was really lazy one night and he took the LIMO a block, I dropped Deonte off at the AL once at like 2AM on a Saturday I think he was just going to shoot around. There's a funny John Dawson story from his first week on campus but I'll wait until he graduates for that one.

Haanif thought was by far the best. He was so nice and had a nice conversation with me. This was right after he was finally declared eligible as well so we talked about that.

LIMO stories are the best, I have a lot of those.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2016, 03:16:46 PM »
Driving LIMOs you get a lot of interesting interactions.

Teve was really lazy one night and he took the LIMO a block, I dropped Deonte off at the AL once at like 2AM on a Saturday I think he was just going to shoot around. There's a funny John Dawson story from his first week on campus but I'll wait until he graduates for that one.

Haanif thought was by far the best. He was so nice and had a nice conversation with me. This was right after he was finally declared eligible as well so we talked about that.

LIMO stories are the best, I have a lot of those.
Magic back at MU??
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
One day playing pickup ball at the Rec Center I found myself playing a "pickup" team of guys from the team.  After one particular defensive rebound John Luerk had the look in his eye he was going to go coast to coast.  Being the first man back from my team and faced with a charging varsity basketball player, five feet inside the free throw line I stop, set my feet and put my hands straight up in the air, thinking he'd go around me to the basket. John took my position/stance as a challenge and decided to dunk over the top of me (I'm 6'4" myself).  He missed the dunk, it hurt like HELL and he was absolutely stunned that I didn't bail at the last second, getting the hell out of his way.

Big deal. Ners would have taken the ball right out of his hands, drove the other way and dunked over the tallest guy on the team. He then would have pounded his chest and screamed: "I AM AWESOME DAWSON!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Had Terry Reason, hair and all, in speech class.  Terry gave a speech about the first time he saw snow, in Milwaukee.  He said he looked up into the street lights when it first started snowing and told the class he thought it was bugs attracted to the lights.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2016, 03:54:31 PM »
Spoken like a true Redhawk!

You know it!  Well versed on all things Wally World

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »
Sam and Artie were both in my Speech class and they did usually show up for class.  Sam was a natural in the class and could rattle off very entertaining speeches--I have no idea if he ever prepared anything or if he just winged it but they were always good, and he'd always have the whole room laughing.  Artie on the other hand, struggled.  The teacher actually allowed him to bring a (Time?) magazine up to the podium and he read an article out of it in front of the class for one of his speeches.  It was so painful to watch because of his low grade school reading level.

That's great stuff. Sam was definitely my favorite Warrior my first two years at MU. Still ...

We played DePaul in the '79 NCAA tourney with an Elite Eight berth on the line, and we had them down 8 with about 8 minutes to go. Sam had Toone ahead of the field for an uncontested dunk but overthrew the pass. We get that hoop and we're up 10 and probably take significant air out of the ball. (This is pre-shot clock, and we had a pretty nice 4-corners.) Instead, DePaul scores on the next possession, it's a close game, they finally take the lead with less than 2 minutes left, and they go on to win by 6 when we have to foul. If we take care of business, there is no Larry Bird-Mark Aguirre matchup in the Final Four!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2016, 04:14:15 PM »
Real

If you had Terry in a Speech class you likely had me as well. Was INCO Major and did not have a single class that DJ, Terry, Mandy, Walter or another ball was not in. DJ and I had virtually same schedule until he left the program.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
Goose, Do you remember Terry's speech?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »
I was grabbing some late night Real Chili and Novak was in town with some former players for I think Dan Fitzgerald's wedding. It was during the NBA lockout. They played credit card roulette and Novak ended up losing and had to pay for everyone's food. They were giving him a hard time since he was the only one without a job at that moment.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »
I was grabbing some late night Real Chili and Novak was in town with some former players for I think Dan Fitzgerald's wedding. It was during the NBA lockout. They played credit card roulette and Novak ended up losing and had to pay for everyone's food. They were giving him a hard time since he was the only one without a job at that moment.

That's so funny, I was there that night. As they were leaving we called out "REAPER!" and Chris Grimm got so excited that someone recognized him.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2016, 09:18:20 PM »
I picked David Boone up at the airport his first time in Milwaukee, back in the day when you could meet people as they got off the plane.

I asked Majerus, "What does he look like"?

With the most common of sense, Rick says "Bring all the 6-7 black guys that get off the plane".

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2016, 01:38:21 AM »
Keefe

Best part of the pimp coats was they were gifts from my family!!!

Joe

I knew that. I was expecting you to correct me on the actual animal leather. Remember, I'm not Lyle when it comes to pelts!

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2016, 05:32:32 AM »
Larry was on my floor freshman year - 11 McCormick - really nice guy. Unfortunately he got Frozena-like minutes of playing time. And yes, a good student. He went to medical school and became a urologist. I gotta believe it is a marketing challenge to attract patients to a urologist named Hatchett!

I was just going to ask what became of Larry.  Had many classes with the man.  I don't know how he was able to juggle basketball with biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, labs,  biochem, calculus, and all the rest while playing ball.  Was a fantastic guy. So glad to hear he ended high up the medical food chain as he did.

I graduated with a dentist named kruel, a guy with a last name "doctor" (dr. Doctor).  And a guy named smiley
don't...don't don't don't don't

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2016, 05:46:07 AM »
I graduated with a dentist named kruel, a guy with a last name "doctor" (dr. Doctor).  And a guy named smiley

How about Feelgood?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2016, 05:46:14 AM »
Not much has been said about doc introducing a girl to mm(rest in peace) who then dated for a year or so, only to return from an overseas trip to find doc was taking very good care of kris while he was away.  She became mrs. doc in 1986 and have 4 children together.  I wonder how that played out on the b-ball floor??

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:28 AM »
How about Feelgood?

Was she a "masseuse"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2016, 06:26:13 AM »
Not much has been said about doc introducing a girl to mm(rest in peace) who then dated for a year or so, only to return from an overseas trip to find doc was taking very good care of kris while he was away.  She became mrs. doc in 1986 and have 4 children together.  I wonder how that played out on the b-ball floor??

Then there was Butch schtuppin' Gail P...

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »
Lisa didn't lack for attention either, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2016, 07:42:24 AM »

Let it go rocket.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2016, 08:07:11 AM »
Everybody knows that one, RS, and nobody cares.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.