Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bold Predictions  (Read 15594 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Bold Predictions
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 08:14:44 AM »
Hopefully heldt can make a big contribution

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 08:20:48 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
Buzz sucks buzz sucks

Crean sucks crean sucks crean sucks

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »
Crean sucks crean sucks crean sucks
Dukiet sucks Dukiet sucks Dukiet sucks Dukiet sucks!

Sorry, just wanted to belong
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »
Buzz will bolt Va Tech after the season.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »
So you making my point or disagreeing?  That is about 3 full games of impacted minutes cumulatively.  Worse, it is like a guy with a hamstring that impacts him all season and his full impact is not realized.

I don't think I really had a side on that, other that I was curious to see how much time he actually missed in the games where he finished with four or fouled out.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »
Hopefully heldt can make a big contribution
I thought Heldt was starting to play much better just before he got hurt and missed the last five games or so. There is no way of knowing, if he would of made a difference in the last few games, but he did miss a chance to get some more valuable experience.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2016, 05:24:52 AM »
ND sucks

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »
A little disappointed with the "ND sucks," "Crean sucks" and "Buzz sucks" stuff.

Those are proclamations, not predictions.

Examples of "bold predictions," as requested by the OP, would be:

"ND will continue to suck."

"Crean will continue to suck."

"Buzz will continue to suck."

Come on, folks, get it right!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2016, 08:57:46 AM »
Another bold prediction: New jerseys wont look as good as the ones right now

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
I thought Heldt was starting to play much better just before he got hurt and missed the last five games or so. There is no way of knowing, if he would of made a difference in the last few games, but he did miss a chance to get some more valuable experience.

Since he didn't make a difference in the first 28 games I'd say there's a pretty good way of knowing if he would have made a difference in the last 5.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »
A little disappointed with the "ND sucks," "Crean sucks" and "Buzz sucks" stuff.

Those are proclamations, not predictions.

"Crean will continue to suck."

Minor qualm...none of those predictions are all that bold.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »
Heldt will get 15 minutes of game action this season and while not a world beater will be sufficient to spell Luke, especially on the defensive end

Several other boldish predictions:
-We will finish in the top 50 in defense(adj. efficiency) per KenPom....88 last season
-We will finish in the top 75 in offense(adj. efficiency) per KenPom....116 last season
-We will finish in the top 150 in turnover % per KenPom.....292 last season.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »

Those are realities, not predictions.

"Crean will continue to suck.

Fixed it for ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
Markus will be a starter by year's end

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »
Markus will be a starter by year's end
^
If true, we will not be in the dance at year's end.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
^
If true, we will not be in the dance at year's end.

Why?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »
Why?

No matter how talented Markus is, he is still a freshman and will be prone to the freshman turnover bug that Carter and Haanif suffered through last season. On average we were giving our opponents 5 more possessions a game than an "typical" team last season. If Markus is starting by the end of the season I have to believe it's because our other PG options suck at turning the ball over.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »
No matter how talented Markus is, he is still a freshman and will be prone to the freshman turnover bug that Carter and Haanif suffered through last season. On average we were giving our opponents 5 more possessions a game than an "typical" team last season. If Markus is starting by the end of the season I have to believe it's because our other PG options suck at turning the ball over.

Well that is one possibility.  Or Markus could be starting because he's a stud that helps us get to the dance.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »

I remember the old days when people would actually watch events before declaring them a failure.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 11:34:48 AM »

Hmmm ...

Only 10 years ago, Dom James was a freshman PG who went 15-5-5 and was a major factor in Marquette returning to the NCAAs after a two-year absence.

Several freshman PGs have led other teams to the tourney in recent years. And one (Duke's Tyus Jones), helped deliver a national title just two years ago.

I'm not making a bold prediction that Markus will do any of those things, but to dismiss him just because he is a freshman or to say he will have as many TOs as Carter simply because he is a freshman seems presumptuous (and maybe even a little silly).

BTW ... today is Dom's 30th birthday. Happy happy to a true Warrior who was a blast to watch compete!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
I remember the old days when people would actually watch events before declaring them a failure.

In no way declaring him a failure, but feel free to ride the hyperbole train in the prediction thread. I'm speaking in probabilities, it is more probable that he will be an average or above average freshmen point then he is to be an outstanding 4 year starter point guard with a minimal of turnovers.

Remember how Traci was all the rage after Italy? I think Traci is great but he certainly what everyone thought he would be last season. Why is Markus more likely to be better than Traci as a freshmen?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »
Hmmm ...

Only 10 years ago, Dom James was a freshman PG who went 15-5-5 and was a major factor in Marquette returning to the NCAAs after a two-year absence.

Several freshman PGs have led other teams to the tourney in recent years. And one (Duke's Tyus Jones), helped deliver a national title just two years ago.

I'm not making a bold prediction that Markus will do any of those things, but to dismiss him just because he is a freshman or to say he will have as many TOs as Carter simply because he is a freshman seems presumptuous (and maybe even a little silly).

BTW ... today is Dom's 30th birthday. Happy happy to a true Warrior who was a blast to watch compete!

Not dismissing him at all, just saying I don't think it likely. Willing to change my tune if Katin turns out to be a second coming of Steve Novak as a senior or something like that

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2016, 11:54:57 AM »
In no way declaring him a failure, but feel free to ride the hyperbole train in the prediction thread. I'm speaking in probabilities, it is more probable that he will be an average or above average freshmen point then he is to be an outstanding 4 year starter point guard with a minimal of turnovers.

Remember how Traci was all the rage after Italy? I think Traci is great but he certainly what everyone thought he would be last season. Why is Markus more likely to be better than Traci as a freshmen?

So you are assuming if Markus starts it is only because Carter and Rowsey are bad or injured, not because he'll earn it.  Ok, you are entitled to your opinion.

I think PG is wide open.  Markus will start if he's the best option.  Right now I have him 3rd based on experience.  He'll have to earn it in practice and games.