[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Northwestern to replace DePaul at Allstate Arena  (Read 5254 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Northwestern to replace DePaul at Allstate Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
Wow... sounds like some of you have been to the Dells more often than you'd like to admit recently.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 09:23:25 PM »
Wow... sounds like some of you have been to the Dells more often than you'd like to admit recently.

Was at a recent Packer outing there...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 11:44:34 PM »

Which Packer was outed?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 05:53:05 AM »
Do they have a viable alternative?  Their on campus gym only holds 2,500, and gyms at other local schools (if they could even use them) are only in the 3,000-5,000 range.  Even with their recent down seasons, GTown has averaged 8,500-9,500 per game.

The argument to be made is that Georgetown shouldn't play every game at the Verizon Center.

For example: Last year, they drew barely over 4K announced for Maryland-Eastern Shore, just short of 4700 for Brown, and 5200+ for Monmouth.  Hell, they didn't break 5500 for Butler & Seton Hall.

Given the rent that they're paying on the big building, it might have been smarter to play those games on campus.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
The argument to be made is that Georgetown shouldn't play every game at the Verizon Center.

For example: Last year, they drew barely over 4K announced for Maryland-Eastern Shore, just short of 4700 for Brown, and 5200+ for Monmouth.  Hell, they didn't break 5500 for Butler & Seton Hall.

Given the rent that they're paying on the big building, it might have been smarter to play those games on campus.

I can see the argument, but with an on-campus arena that holds about half of what they had even for their very worst-attended games, I don't think the argument is a strong one.  I could maybe see it if their gym held 4,000 - 5,000, but I doubt any school would want to cut already weak attendance in half....

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 10:04:01 AM »
Recent? That was over 6 years ago.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
Recent? That was over 6 years ago.

I live in dog years, my man.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 08:51:27 PM »

Was this walking out after a long night?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2016, 01:15:55 AM »
I can see the argument, but with an on-campus arena that holds about half of what they had even for their very worst-attended games, I don't think the argument is a strong one.  I could maybe see it if their gym held 4,000 - 5,000, but I doubt any school would want to cut already weak attendance in half....

Do you want 2500 people packed to the rafters or do you want less than 5K in a 19K seat building?  Depends on what they're paying to rent the Verizon, essentially.  If 4K is their profit line, then they're fine.  If it's say, 7K, well, then they're in a lot of trouble.

Even the games that are well attended at Verizon aren't being well attended by Georgetown fans.  There's multiple YouTube videos of audible WE ARE MARQUETTE chants in that building.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 08:51:13 AM »
Do you want 2500 people packed to the rafters or do you want less than 5K in a 19K seat building?  Depends on what they're paying to rent the Verizon, essentially.  If 4K is their profit line, then they're fine.  If it's say, 7K, well, then they're in a lot of trouble.

Even the games that are well attended at Verizon aren't being well attended by Georgetown fans.  There's multiple YouTube videos of audible WE ARE MARQUETTE chants in that building.

The fact that they play at Verizon just might answer your question about their financial analysis of 2500 people in the gym vs 7000 at Verizon.

And from a financial perspective, it doesn't matter who buys the tickets - the bean counters are just as happy with MU fans as GTown fans in the stands.  My guess is that DePaul likewise appreciates the extra $$$ they get whenever MU comes to town.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 07:55:52 AM »
Welsh-Ryan holds just over 8,000.

NU averaged just over 6,900 last year.

This. I go see some of the non conference games because I can sit in the third row for two bits.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:55 AM »
The fact that they play at Verizon just might answer your question about their financial analysis of 2500 people in the gym vs 7000 at Verizon.

And from a financial perspective, it doesn't matter who buys the tickets - the bean counters are just as happy with MU fans as GTown fans in the stands.  My guess is that DePaul likewise appreciates the extra $$$ they get whenever MU comes to town.

Just found this out yesterday: Georgetown is playing Arkansas State in McDonough this season. 
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »
Just found this out yesterday: Georgetown is playing Arkansas State in McDonough this season.

Sounds like a fun gimmick, like we played one inconsequential game at the Al not too long ago.  Doesn't mean they should or could play there permanently.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »
Sounds like a fun gimmick, like we played one inconsequential game at the Al not too long ago.  Doesn't mean they should or could play there permanently.

It wouldn't have been an inconsequential game had MU lost.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 12:28:23 AM »
It wouldn't have been an inconsequential game had MU lost.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a buy game.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

source?

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »

As I understand it the Verizon center is owned by a Georgetown alum who gives them a steep discount on rent. I realize it's somewhat ironic for me to post this without a source but I believe they essentially pay what it costs to turn the lights on.

feedback