'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question regarding Notre Dame game  (Read 4543 times)

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
Question regarding Notre Dame game
« on: December 29, 2007, 10:09:12 AM »

Because it appears that the Packers playoff game will be that same afternoon of the MU/ND game, do you think the game might be pushed up to a noon start so that people won't miss any of the Packer pregame/game stuff???   

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Question regarding Notre Dame game
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
Is this a serious question? You think they're going to switch the time of the Marquette game so you can see Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long tell the same tired Brett Favre stories?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
No, because 1) They already have their revenue from the sellout so moving the time only adds to their costs, and 2) They're already opening the dorms early so students can have time to get back in and then go to the game.  If they start earlier it makes it more difficult for some students to get back to town and get to the game.  Many students, including but not limited to those from Illinois, will choose to go to the Notre Dame game and miss the first few minutes of the Packers.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 05:51:48 PM »
I for one, a Wisconsin native and Packer fan as a youth, could NOT care less if I see them play in the playoffs if it means I'm watching MU vs ND instead.  Partially because I'm not nearly as big of a football fan as I was when I was younger, soccer is more my game now, and secondly because it's MU vs. ND!! If anything, the Packers start time should be adjusted to allow people to go the the bball game and then see all of it!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 11:24:27 PM by muwarrior87 »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:55:30 PM »
Gents, on another topic,  mabye I've missed it but any impressions from the WBY?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »
Gents, on another topic,  mabye I've missed it but any impressions from the WBY?

Check out the 'the Al tomorrow' thread  :)

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »
will do and thanks!

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 11:12:30 PM »
could care less

I have said it before, it is my pet peeve, and no offense intended, but my one man fight to eradicate the illogical phrase must go on -------->
The phrase is "I could NOT care less"!  Please think about it.   ???

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:24:44 PM »
could care less

I have said it before, it is my pet peeve, and no offense intended, but my one man fight to eradicate the illogical phrase must go on -------->
The phrase is "I could NOT care less"!  Please think about it.   ???

happy! ;D

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 03:29:06 AM »
you're not alone CND

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 09:12:09 AM »
My day is off on the right foot.  muwarrior87 revised his post, so I know I have cleared one misuse.

Then, to top it off, I learn that I am not alone on this issue.  [Take that mysterious voices in my head which told me no one else cared!!!!]  What do you think thisists, should we develop a secret handshake or something?

I am overwhelmed.  Between the two of you, I may have saved me a fortune in therapy.  ;)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:39:41 AM »
The Saturday games are usually 3:30 and 7:00 so it should leave some room for the MU game.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 02:22:43 PM »
Seriously?

Why would Marquette change the gametime?

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 08:08:11 PM »
MU-ND at 1

packer game announced for 3:30

not much conflict

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
MU-ND at 1

packer game announced for 3:30

not much conflict

That depends of course of what time the MU-ND game ends (will it go OT, 2 OT??) and how far you have to drive home whether or not you can make it for kickoff. This much I'll guarantee....TC has ALWAYS been sensitive to the Packers and their fans and I'd bet my bottom dollar if he can pull it off with the Big East, he will try to get the game moved up to 12:30 or sooner. It wouldn't surprise me if he's on the phone already with someone in the BE office.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 09:18:01 PM »
I guarantee he doesn't.  There are more Chicago fans that go to Marquette than Packer fans. Half really don't care whether or not they see the packer game. And for those people that may live an hours drive away, they'll still catch the second half and if they really want to see it all, go to a sports bar. There are plenty in downtown MKE that will be showing NFL playoffs.

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 09:41:58 PM »
Jan 12th is a meaningless game for the Pack, it's all about the NFC Championship game.

My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »
I guarantee he doesn't.  There are more Chicago fans that go to Marquette than Packer fans. Half really don't care whether or not they see the packer game. And for those people that may live an hours drive away, they'll still catch the second half and if they really want to see it all, go to a sports bar. There are plenty in downtown MKE that will be showing NFL playoffs.

Thing is, it's not just about the students. There are a lot of alumni and fans that are Packer fans that would like to see the whole MU game and the whole Packer game. If it can be changed, it will be...I'd almost bet on it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 10:37:20 PM »
There are also a lot more MU alums that really don't care.  MU game starts at 1. Ok, so unless it goes overtime, it will be done and people will be out of the BC well before a 3:30 start, which, I don't even think is guaranteed to be the time Green Bay plays. Correct me if I'm wrong.  Either way, it won't happen. The halls opened up early for this to allow students to get back in time for the game.  I just can't see it being moved.  There is no reason why people that do want to see the Packer game, if it is on at 3:30 the same day, can't miss the opening drive or two. It will be on the radio and if they absolutely MUST see the whole game, then go to Gametime, Turner's, Major Goolsby's, etc. There's no plausible reason for MU to adjust the start time of this game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 11:28:52 PM »
There is precedent for changing the game time.

When I worked at MU there was a game opposite a Packers playoff game and it was brutal for us.  I want to say we drew about 2000 fans actually in the building.  It was horrible.  Very sad.  If I recall correctly we did move the game time up so that it would end before the Packer game started, but we still played the pre-game on in all the concourses, etc.

Of course we weren't playing ND that day, it was against someone like Charlotte or someone.  Can't remember.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 01:28:10 AM »

Of course we weren't playing ND that day, it was against someone like Charlotte or someone.  Can't remember.

Yeah, something tells me it will make a difference that we are playing ND. If we were playing Coppin State of course much fewer people would show up. I kind of agree with the others that the Packer fan base might not be as extreme as some might think, but you never know until game time.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 01:35:56 AM »
my take on the situation is that the big east didn't care about NFL and who was playing, with as many IL alumni MU has, what do they care.  This is pointless

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 02:06:45 AM »
my take on the situation is that the big east didn't care about NFL and who was playing, with as many IL alumni MU has, what do they care.  This is pointless

Lil' tipsy when writing this?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 02:09:55 AM »
You have to keep in mind that the game has been sold out for awhile now.  If they expected to sell 2,000 more tickets by moving the start time up you might see it happen.  Starting the game early now means you might gain X more non-students at the game, while losing close to as many students.  As far as attendance goes it would probably be a wash.  As far as money goes, if there is any costs incurred in changing the start time, that's less money made on the game since tickets have already all been sold.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 02:25:29 AM »
if you want a better home court advantage, you keep it as is so the students can get there as the most noise generally comes from that section.

feedback