[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Levi Stockard  (Read 18779 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Levi Stockard
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
What do we mean by physicality?  Are we talking about strength or speed?  Last year when I spoke with Todd Smith I heard a lot about speed, quickness, and not much about building bulk or strength except in how it relates to speed. 

My local gym is now moving away from bulk and mass and toward explosive speed for all sports, I think it is a national movement.  Your thoughts?

I would settle for explosive rebounding.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2016, 04:22:34 PM »
do they utilize the information...or is it a way to get $$$ in the right people's hands?

Utilize.  And I'm NOT speaking about Marquette here, but many coaches talk to and seek the heads up on potential recruits from various people.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »

No we won't have to deal with French on another Big East team
Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein  4h4 hours ago
Adam Finkelstein Retweeted Has ™
.@CATornados & @PSACardinals PF Hasahn French has cut his list to UNLV, St Louis, Marquette, UMass, Minnesota & VCU.

Facts is fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 12:35:47 AM »

I think Todd Smith is very good.  I think there are a lot of good S&C coaches out there.  One of the reasons for UW's improvement was the hiring of Erik Helland away from the Chicago Bulls as their S&C coach.  It isn't a coincidence that he joined the very year they made their first final four.

There are good S&C coaches everywhere.

As far as making the Final 4, I'd say Bo, Kaminsky, Dekker, and Co. were much more responsible. BTW, they managed to make a Final Four, Elite 8, and a couple Sweet 16s in the twelve years before Helland was hired.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 05:28:20 AM »
In the very old days before internet, cable tv, cell phone,  fax and no AAU etc the  coaches would rely on informal networks of guys who would provide leads. You could literally pick up the phone and call a Big Ten level head coach in his office and you could talk to him about prospect x or prospect Y. Literally guys that would be on MU Scoop today would have these discussions and the coaches would actually listen and take notes. It was kind of a fun thing.

An interesting bit of history.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »

As far as making the Final 4, I'd say Bo, Kaminsky, Dekker, and Co. were much more responsible. BTW, they managed to make a Final Four, Elite 8, and a couple Sweet 16s in the twelve years before Helland was hired.

I remember reading an article where the players actually talked about Helland helping take them to the next level.  I'll see if I can find it on the interwebs and provide a link.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 07:50:43 AM »

I will post an article from the MJS that spoke specifically to how UW needed to get stronger after getting pushed around by Ole Miss in the NCAAs and that ushered in Helland.

Frank making the leap he did the very next year was not a coincidence.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »
We all know what a fine job UW does with its "conditioning" of redshirt freshman football players. By the end of their sit-out year they're all 320 pounds.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 01:05:43 PM »
And they all grow 1-2" taller according to their roster.

brandx

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 04:02:50 PM »
In the very old days before internet, cable tv, cell phone,  fax and no AAU etc the  coaches would rely on informal networks of guys who would provide leads. You could literally pick up the phone and call a Big Ten level head coach in his office and you could talk to him about prospect x or prospect Y. Literally guys that would be on MU Scoop today would have these discussions and the coaches would actually listen and take notes. It was kind of a fun thing.

You must be talking back in the 50's and 60's.

In the 70s and 80s - before the interent - there were quite a few recruiting services around.

Van Coleman is one who comes to mind - I'm sure I still have his recruiting newsletters up in the attic somewhere. But there were also many others.

And Street & Smith Magazine back in the 80s was used in the old days as well as a recruiting tool. Still have a lot of those as well, if anyone is interested in buying.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »
You must be talking back in the 50's and 60's.

In the 70s and 80s - before the interent - there were quite a few recruiting services around.

Van Coleman is one who comes to mind - I'm sure I still have his recruiting newsletters up in the attic somewhere. But there were also many others.

And Street & Smith Magazine back in the 80s was used in the old days as well as a recruiting tool. Still have a lot of those as well, if anyone is interested in buying.
I am talking mostly 60s 70s a little in to the 80s. The networks ( very loosely defined) were supplements to High School coaches and Services, Street and Smith etc  as you point out.

The quality of recruits in the old days had lots of variable. Big hits and spectacular flops. Hidden gems were possible to be found , or simply some coaches had no idea what was going on two states over,which is why some coaches were open minded to these sources. They needed them to offset some truly horrible dogs that some in state high school coach foisted on them simply because the guy was tall. Coaches were also obsessed with finding some sharp shooting kid who practiced in his family barn or hearing about a playground star.

A poster on this site( i forgot who) relayed a story about finding out that Bernard Toone was interested in MU  and helping him and his mother move in our direction.

Todays system is very good at flushing out and identifying talent. It makes it harder for the non powerhouse programs to sign up a great player who is flying under the radar which are fewer and far between.

Also the whole concept of being a representative of the university athletic interest makes it impossible for boosters to get involved with recruiting and scouting like they did in the by gone days.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »
I am talking mostly 60s 70s a little in to the 80s. The networks ( very loosely defined) were supplements to High School coaches and Services, Street and Smith etc  as you point out.

The quality of recruits in the old days had lots of variable. Big hits and spectacular flops. Hidden gems were possible to be found , or simply some coaches had no idea what was going on two states over,which is why some coaches were open minded to these sources. They needed them to offset some truly horrible dogs that some in state high school coach foisted on them simply because the guy was tall. Coaches were also obsessed with finding some sharp shooting kid who practiced in his family barn or hearing about a playground star.

A poster on this site( i forgot who) relayed a story about finding out that Bernard Toone was interested in MU  and helping him and his mother move in our direction.

Todays system is very good at flushing out and identifying talent. It makes it harder for the non powerhouse programs to sign up a great player who is flying under the radar which are fewer and far between.

Also the whole concept of being a representative of the university athletic interest makes it impossible for boosters to get involved with recruiting and scouting like they did in the by gone days.

Street and Smith was fine, but the "Bible" of recruiting from the mid 1970s to mid 1980's was Bob Gibbons' All Star Reports.  Those interested can easily wiki it and read about background of Gibbons and his reports. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »
Street and Smith was fine, but the "Bible" of recruiting from the mid 1970s to mid 1980's was Bob Gibbons' All Star Reports.  Those interested can easily wiki it and read about background of Gibbons and his reports.
Gibbons was more in the 80s and 90s.  A good one in the 70s was Cats Pause, which was/is a KY rag.

brandx

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2016, 07:37:41 PM »

Absolutely. His was the name I couldn't remember. I'd rate him a cut above Coleman.

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2016, 01:38:50 AM »
Bazz to George Washington?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2016, 06:05:49 AM »
  Yous guyses think Levi is a potential project?  Well, get this dude proficient with a jump rope and a few free weights, and put him in the lane-whoooo doggies!!  We gots ourselves not only that wall that mr. T is talkin about, but 3 aircraft carriers in one, eyna'l?  Say hello to mr. Brave Williams-

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/N8moENxix0G3tlQCjJuVvg/at-7-foot-1-and-400-pounds,-high-school-football-player-brave-williams-is-larger-than-life.htm

don't...don't don't don't don't

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
I will post an article from the MJS that spoke specifically to how UW needed to get stronger after getting pushed around by Ole Miss in the NCAAs and that ushered in Helland.

Frank making the leap he did the very next year was not a coincidence.

Don't know any details but Helland may have been buzz-cut by the Jen Swanson regime with the Bulls. I have heard a lot of positive about him. Their hockey strength coach is the best of them supposedly and those results haven't translated to the ice.

feedback