Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN/Dana O'Neil Article  (Read 4844 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
ESPN/Dana O'Neil Article
« on: September 12, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/115889/the-big-easts-impact-isnt-going-away

New article up today on the staying power of the Big East - and moreso the prospects for being relavent in College BBall this year.  Pretty fair and positive on what the conference is doing. 

It pains me that MU is not even mentioned....hopefully we can surprise a few folks.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: ESPN/Dana O'Neil Article
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »

It pains me that MU is not even mentioned....hopefully we can surprise a few folks.

We haven't come close to making the tournament since the new formation. We don't deserve a mention.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
Good article.  Unfortunately, we have not been relevant since the reformation to be considered one of the top teams in the Big East.  When it reformed, it was expected that Marquette, Georgetown and Villanova would be the top dogs in the league consistently.  Xavier and Butler have been very strong, as Creighton is expected to be a top team this year as well. 

Parity is good for the league, but when only two teams have yet to make the tournament in the Big East, you do get a big pit in your stomach (us and DePaul - ugh). 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
A decent article. All teams are recruiting well which is contributing to the strength.

The league should be very strong again this year. I see every team equal to or better than last year, with the exception of Providence. The two doormats last year , DePaul and especially St. Johns should be much better.

When  MU and Georgetown  eventually return to form , the league could top to bottom be the best out there.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:45:13 PM »
A decent article. All teams are recruiting well which is contributing to the strength.

The league should be very strong again this year. I see every team equal to or better than last year, with the exception of Providence. The two doormats last year , DePaul and especially St. Johns should be much better.

When  If MU and when Georgetown  eventually return to form , the league could top to bottom be the best out there.

Corrected.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 05:49:03 PM »
      Well first of all, it's ESPN.  I mean, they couldn't help themselves from putting St. John's into the same conversation as Villanova, Xavier, butler, creighton and seton hall??  Oh yeah, and St. John's...whaaaaat?  Yeah, that st johnnies that has made the ncaa all of twice over the past 6 years...yeah, they're ready...talk about homers.  If ya want to compare the last 6 seasons, how about elite 8, sweet 16, sweet 16?  Come on man!!  The stormers haven't won a game in the big dance since 2000 and holy SCHNiKEES, they made it to the 2nd round and...lost

Ok ok, we have a ways to go, but we deserved a mention as much, no, more than st johnnies
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
      Well first of all, it's ESPN.  I mean, they couldn't help themselves from putting St. John's into the same conversation as Villanova, Xavier, butler, creighton and seton hall??  Oh yeah, and St. John's...whaaaaat?  Yeah, that st johnnies that has made the ncaa all of twice over the past 6 years...yeah, they're ready...talk about homers.  If ya want to compare the last 6 seasons, how about elite 8, sweet 16, sweet 16?  Come on man!!  The stormers haven't won a game in the big dance since 2000 and holy SCHNiKEES, they made it to the 2nd round and...lost

Ok ok, we have a ways to go, but we deserved a mention as much, no, more than st johnnies

Wasn't the only mention of ST Johns saying they aren't ready for prime time? 

The part that pains me isn't the lack of mention as much as the belief we won't be relavent.  Ready for our tourney drought to end...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »
Wasn't the only mention of ST Johns saying they aren't ready for prime time? 

The part that pains me isn't the lack of mention as much as the belief we won't be relavent.  Ready for our tourney drought to end...

Ok,  but as you said, NO mention?  That means we are in the same category as DePaul?  They weren't mentioned either...sad.  We have a 3 year drought and suddenly we're, umm, DePaul?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 06:34:41 PM »
Ok,  but as you said, NO mention?  That means we are in the same category as DePaul?  They weren't mentioned either...sad.  We have a 3 year drought and suddenly we're, umm, DePaul?

MU won 20 games last year. Let me rephrase that. Henry Ellenson won 20 games last year. Obviously the talent that all the other schools mentioned in the article have coming in are far superior than our incoming class. I won't believe otherwise until they prove it on the court.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 06:38:04 PM »

Yes No mention in an article that is talking about the good prospects of the big east next year. 

I don't know what other point you are trying to make.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:24:57 PM »
Yes No mention in an article that is talking about the good prospects of the big east next year. 

I don't know what other point you are trying to make.

Basically my weird way of agreeing with you.  Sorry if I came across otherwise.  Just saying, we have short memories, but yes, we need to turn it around, make some more progress to get back to being worthy of a mention in some of these articles

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
Corrected.
When I originally drafted the post I had the words If ..., but in a moment of generosity I changed it to When....
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
Dana O'Niel is almost always a good read. I respect her objectivity, avoidance of speculation and hyperbole....just a darn fine journalist on college BB.
Many others on ESPN should learn from her...but don't. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.