Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wade can make a difference  (Read 7508 times)

HouWarrior

• All American
Wade can make a difference
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
Of all the athletes all over .....D. Wade now has a very unique position and personal history to really be listened to and to make a difference.

Local kid, makes good at MU and then on to NBA ...titles, MVP, etc., ....returns to hometown NBA team only to suffer a personal loss and tragedy over gun violence. Boomer Esiason (sp?) , and Jim Kelly turned their personal tragedy to promote awareness and huge charities to do lots of good. This one is tougher than a childhood disease, but Dwayne is the right guy for the herculean task ahead....big ups to an MU hero.

I really hope Wade takes the fullest advantage of his position and unique personal history (which gives him more gravitas on the subject, obviously).... to try to make a difference. He has my admiration and support....Chicago is a great city and I hope we'd all support him trying to make it better:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17447378/dwyane-wade-says-purpose-chicago-bigger-basketball
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:01:21 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Wade can make a difference
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 08:39:07 PM »
Is the problem with gun violence that we don't talk enough about it?  Are we ignoring it?

Is there a universal agreed-upon solution to it? And we just lack the will to do it?

If the answer to all these questions is no, and I think it is, I don't know what difference Wade is going to make.

Not trying to troll, trying to be a realist.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:47:36 PM by Jesse Livermore »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »
Is the problem with gun violence that we don't talk enough about it?  Are we ignoring it?

Is there a universal agreed-upon solution to it? And we just lack the will to do it?

If the answer to all these questions is no, and I think it is, I don't know what difference Wade is going to make.

Not trying to troll, trying to be a realist.
In 1984 a young man named Ben Wilson was senselessly murdered in Chicago. He was the number one recruit in the nation. People thought that would be the turning point for change and it wasn't.

Law and Order has to be restored for gun violence to stop. It is possible. It was accomplished in New York . It only works if the Mayor, Police Force and Community are on the same page on the issue which they were for a long time in NY.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
In 1984 a young man named Ben Wilson was senselessly murdered in Chicago. He was the number one recruit in the nation. People thought that would be the turning point for change and it wasn't.

Law and Order has to be restored for gun violence to stop. It is possible. It was accomplished in New York . It only works if the Mayor, Police Force and Community are on the same page on the issue which they were for a long time in NY.

Violent crime decreased dramatically in almost every city in the country, including Chicago, during the same period that it was decreasing in New York. Policy in NY gets played little to no role in the decrease.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 10:44:50 AM »
Violent crime decreased dramatically in almost every city in the country, including Chicago, during the same period that it was decreasing in New York. Policy in NY gets played little to no role in the decrease.

So why is crime sky rocketing in the last two years?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:06:26 AM »

It's not. It's certainly up but not skyrocketing. What is skyrocketing is the media coverage of these shootings. Before not a single newspaper or tv station would care if someone from the hood got shot whereas now they'll cover it and everybody is just flabbergasted
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »

Freakanomics answered this question.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
I blame Crean, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »
Freakanomics answered this question.

I'm familiar with their argument that 18 years after abortion became legal  (legal in 1972, so 1990) the crime rate started falling.  Simply put, those that get abortions are likely to give birth to criminals.   So we have less criminals in society.

What is their argument for the recent rise?  Arbortion laws have not changed.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »
It's not. It's certainly up but not skyrocketing. What is skyrocketing is the media coverage of these shootings. Before not a single newspaper or tv station would care if someone from the hood got shot whereas now they'll cover it and everybody is just flabbergasted

On the superbar now ... August in Milwaukee saw the most murders since July 1991 (Dahmer).

Chicago decade plus high

Baltimore,  highest ever.

Still think their is nothing going here but hyperventilating reporters?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 10:58:48 PM »

On the superbar now ... August in Milwaukee saw the most murders since July 1991 (Dahmer).

Chicago decade plus high

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »

Chicago decade plus high

A statistical outlier doesn't indicate an overall trend. Is it more reported in the media? Yes. That's the nature of the 24-hour news cycle and sensationalist journalism. When I worked in local news, we lived by the motto "if it bleeds, it leads." If anything, that has only become more true in the years since I left the business. Anything crime related gets shoved up front and repeated often because that's what the public tunes in for. It always makes me laugh when people say "why don't they report more good news?" when the simple answer is because if they went with the good news as the focus, people tend to tune out sooner.

Homicide numbers nationally are far lower than they were 20-25 years ago. But 20-25 years ago, we didn't have 12 different 24-hour news stations, Twitter, and Facebook all competing with local news for eyeballs and demanding in technicolor letters that you watch them because WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!! You're letting the media cloud your judgment, which is exactly what they want.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 02:11:05 AM »

Chicago decade plus high

I don't know anything about MKE or Baltimore but here's Chicago.

Number of homicides in Chicago by year

2000: 633
2001: 667
2002: 656
2003: 601
2004: 453
2005: 451
2006: 471
2007: 448
2008: 513
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 435
2012: 516
2013: 441
2014: 432
2015: 488
2016 to date: 485

So first, you're wrong about the decade plus high. And wrong that it is "exploding" at least as it pertains to Chicago. Yes it's a high year but it is not some absurd year with rates going back to the 90s. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:14:54 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
A statistical outlier doesn't indicate an overall trend. Is it more reported in the media? Yes. That's the nature of the 24-hour news cycle and sensationalist journalism. When I worked in local news, we lived by the motto "if it bleeds, it leads." If anything, that has only become more true in the years since I left the business. Anything crime related gets shoved up front and repeated often because that's what the public tunes in for. It always makes me laugh when people say "why don't they report more good news?" when the simple answer is because if they went with the good news as the focus, people tend to tune out sooner.

Are you saying that bad news gets them more of something? Clicks perhaps?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »
Are you saying that bad news gets them more of something? Clicks perhaps?

I see what you did there, and I approve  ;D

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »

Homicide numbers nationally are far lower than they were 20-25 years ago. But 20-25 years ago, we didn't have 12 different 24-hour news stations, Twitter, and Facebook all competing with local news for eyeballs and demanding in technicolor letters that you watch them because WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!! You're letting the media cloud your judgment, which is exactly what they want.

The evil "they". Turn off the news if it bothers you, that way "they" can't get you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »

So first, you're wrong about the decade plus high. And wrong that it is "exploding" at least as it pertains to Chicago. Yes it's a high year but it is not some absurd year with rates going back to the 90s.
Early 2000s decrease coincides with demolition of Cabrini Green complex.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »
Early 2000s decrease coincides with demolition of Cabrini Green complex.

The demolition of Cabrini started in 95 and ended when I was in HS. Yes the decrease overlaps but the major drop is 8 years after the tear down started.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »
The demolition of Cabrini started in 95 and ended when I was in HS. Yes the decrease overlaps but the major drop is 8 years after the tear down started.

Which is when they tore down the Robert Taylor Homes.  I would love to see this juxtaposed with the crime rates of certain suburbs (Elgin, Carpentersville, Aurora) which took in a lot of the folks who were living in Chicago projects under Section 8.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 01:03:23 PM »
Which is when they tore down the Robert Taylor Homes.  I would love to see this juxtaposed with the crime rates of certain suburbs (Elgin, Carpentersville, Aurora) which took in a lot of the folks who were living in Chicago projects under Section 8.

I'm not sure your premise is at all correct. The demographics don't seem to suggest that those towns took in a lot of people from the projects since 2000.

That said, crime in Elgin, like most other places, peaked in the late 80s/early 90s and has declined significantly since. See Page 4.
http://www.cityofelgin.org/DocumentCenter/View/53505

Aurora also became significantly safer since the early 90s.

https://www.aurora-il.org/documents/publicinfo/borealis/2011_spring.pdf

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »
Consider the source and remember he gets rich off of panic.    Ergo, it is in his best interest to buy into and propagate the doomsday narrative. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 04:01:12 PM »

485 year-to-date projects to over 600 this year, highest since 2002.  Further July and August were bigger outliers than earlier this year (Jan through March). And the fact that it is happening in many big cities means it is not specific to Chicago but part of a national trend of increased violent crime.

That said, I know why everyone (like you) has such a cavalier attitude about this.  Chicago is broken into 25 police districts.  6 of them on the west and south side account for most of the increase.  The 5 districts on the northside and loop area are seeing falling crime rates.

Narrowing it even further, CPD head Eddie Johnson said the CPD has a list of 1400 people they think would either shoot someone or be shot. (Most are known gang members). He said 85% of the shooting this year were someone on this list (either did the shooting, was shot, or both).

Violent crime is highly localized in certain neighborhoods by certain people (gang members).  Again this is not Chicago specific but part of a larger national trend.  So, as long as millennials that grew up in Hinsdale that call each other dude are not shot, or the never ending party around Wrigley is not interrupted, you really don't care about those "other people" and how much they shoot each other.   Since it does not effect you, it just media hype.

Second call, anyone want To offer a reason for the skyrocketing crime rate?  Hint, black lives matter and the police more afraid of backlash than protecting the most vulnerable in poor minority neighborhoods.  See some people are more important than others and since crime is down in Bucktown, it all good.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:03:30 PM by Jesse Livermore »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 04:26:44 PM »
485 year-to-date projects to over 600 this year, highest since 2002.  Further July and August were bigger outliers than earlier this year (Jan through March). And the fact that it is happening in many big cities means it is not specific to Chicago but part of a national trend of increased violent crime.

That said, I know why everyone (like you) has such a cavalier attitude about this.  Chicago is broken into 25 police districts.  6 of them on the west and south side account for most of the increase.  The 5 districts on the northside and loop area are seeing falling crime rates.

Narrowing it even further, CPD head Eddie Johnson said the CPD has a list of 1400 people they think would either shoot someone or be shot. (Most are known gang members). He said 85% of the shooting this year were someone on this list (either did the shooting, was shot, or both).

Violent crime is highly localized in certain neighborhoods by certain people (gang members).  Again this is not Chicago specific but part of a larger national trend.  So, as long as millennials that grew up in Hinsdale that call each other dude are not shot, or the never ending party around Wrigley is not interrupted, you really don't care about those "other people" and how much they shoot each other.   Since it does not effect you, it just media hype.

Second call, anyone want To offer a reason for the skyrocketing crime rate?  Hint, black lives matter and the police more afraid of backlash than protecting the most vulnerable in poor minority neighborhoods.  See some people are more important than others and since crime is down in Bucktown, it all good.

Not sure what you are trying to show here.  Is it that poverty, crime and violence go hand in hand, and that people that live in the rich suburbs don't really care about crime and poverty in south side Chicago?  Then I think everyone agrees.

Now, no idea why this is on the boards.  You've dove heavy into political territory.  If you want to talk politics, invite me out for a drink sometime, but using Wade as cover to introduce politics...please don't.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 06:37:31 PM »
Heisy, you're still using a one year statistical outlier. That's why no one takes your silly sky is falling mentality seriously. You're taking one point on a graph and calling it a trend.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »
Heisy, you're still using a one year statistical outlier. That's why no one takes your silly sky is falling mentality seriously. You're taking one point on a graph and calling it a trend.

Cross sectional ... it is happening everywhere,