collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The spirit of the Olympics  (Read 36306 times)

tower912

• All American
The spirit of the Olympics
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »
The middle aged cynics here, including myself, have had negative things to say about the Olympics leading up to them.     Rio's struggles, zika, Russian doping.... pick anything.    But then.....     my 9 year old is currently yelling at the TV during the USA women's field hockey game.     He has been begging to stay up extra late to watch anything Olympics.    He is wondering when the fencing is coming on.   This cynic found himself aching yesterday as the USA's female cyclist got chased down in the last 1/2 km.     

So, yes, there are certainly things we can all criticize and nitpick.    And we will.   But don't forget what the GAMES are all about.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: The spirit of the Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »
The middle aged cynics here, including myself, have had negative things to say about the Olympics leading up to them.     Rio's struggles, zika, Russian doping.... pick anything.    But then.....     my 9 year old is currently yelling at the TV during the USA women's field hockey game.     He has been begging to stay up extra late to watch anything Olympics.    He is wondering when the fencing is coming on.   This cynic found himself aching yesterday as the USA's female cyclist got chased down in the last 1/2 km.     

So, yes, there are certainly things we can all criticize and nitpick.    And we will.   But don't forget what the GAMES are all about.     

My 13 year wanted to stay up to watch Michael Phelps last night.  I didn't even make it that far.

The end of that women's bike race yesterday was very compelling.  The American rider had nothing left at the end.  As was the men's marathon ride the day before.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »

Which is all very true and exactly why I criticize the adults in charge of the Olympics. We don't need grand spectacles and revolutionary facilities....just make sure the venues are effective and built for the function and that the games are put on in a safe and well televised manner and the athletes will do the rest. You could cut the budget of putting on the games in half and you would see no drop off in ratings or revenue IMO.

By the way, was anyone else watching real time when the Dutch rider crashed yesterday? We were watching and I was convinced at the time that she was dead, especially when I saw the camera angle from Mara Abbot's chase vehicle as she rode by.....lucky she's ok.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
Which is all very true and exactly why I criticize the adults in charge of the Olympics. We don't need grand spectacles and revolutionary facilities....just make sure the venues are effective and built for the function and that the games are put on in a safe and well televised manner and the athletes will do the rest. You could cut the budget of putting on the games in half and you would see no drop off in ratings or revenue IMO.

By the way, was anyone else watching real time when the Dutch rider crashed yesterday? We were watching and I was convinced at the time that she was dead, especially when I saw the camera angle from Mara Abbot's chase vehicle as she rode by.....lucky she's ok.

I've been one of the biggest critics of giving Rio the bid. I was seriously planning on boycotting them by not watching but here I am at 9am watching. I love the Olympics and I was always gonna get sucked back in.

Both road races were brutal. I was sad when the Colombian fell in the men's and when Abbott got chased down. I legitimately thought the Dutch girl was dead too. Over the handle bars right on her neck and she still wasn't moving when Abbott passed her. I actually thought I just saw someone die on live TV.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »

It's more difficult to bribe people that way.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:40:03 AM »
If we saw another country's athlete - especially a Russian - dominate as much as Ledecky, would we be cheering/celebrating? Or even appreciating a dominant performance? Or would we jump to doping/PEDs?

Just an interesting dichotomy that comes up from time to time in sports.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
If we saw another country's athlete - especially a Russian - dominate as much as Ledecky, would we be cheering/celebrating? Or even appreciating a dominant performance? Or would we jump to doping/PEDs?

I understand your point, but by that logic we have to assume that anyone that was better than everyone else is doping. Are the female American gymists doping because they are so much better than the rest of the field? I think you are right that theres where some would go but is that because us mere mortals can't grasp what we are seeing?

One thing that is crazy to me, and I think it's a testimony to technology and the evolution of human beings is how all of these world records are constantly broken and replaced. At some point there has to be a world record that can't ever be broken, right?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »

My wife thinks this about any athlete that dominates ever since the Floyd Landis Tour stage where he just killed everyone. 

Personally, it doesn't ruin the experience for me and I don't think ill of any specific athlete until proven otherwise.  However, you can't help but have the question pop into your head after so many have been proven dopers.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:55:19 AM »

One thing that is crazy to me, and I think it's a testimony to technology and the evolution of human beings is how all of these world records are constantly broken and replaced. At some point there has to be a world record that can't ever be broken, right?

The technology-driven training has to eventually reach its peak (doesn't it?).

I remember as a kid when professional athletes didn't even do weight training. They thought they would get "muscle bound" and that it would inhibit their actual athletic skills on the field. The only training for baseball players, for example, was playing baseball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
Ratings are down 28% from 2012. Hopefully, they stay down and force some change from the most corrupt organization in the world not named FIFA.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »

There is an intriguing story I heard on NPR a few months ago where they tried to break-down the difference between Jesse Owens and Usain Bolt.  Their findings was that the delta is mainly explained by track improvements and improved shoes.  The difference between the two in straight performance is less than you would imagine (barely discernible when represented by a tone).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 10:05:38 AM »
There is an intriguing story I heard on NPR a few months ago where they tried to break-down the difference between Jesse Owens and Usain Bolt.  Their findings was that the delta is mainly explained by track improvements and improved shoes.  The difference between the two in straight performance is less than you would imagine (barely discernible when represented by a tone).

I'd love to hear that, let's see what google comes up with :)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »
Ratings are down 28% from 2012. Hopefully, they stay down and force some change from the most corrupt organization in the world not named FIFA.

NBC?

All kidding aside, I think the ratings can be attributed to three things.

1. These games have a black mark on them right now.

2. The way NBC televises them.  They are getting better with more live events, but the tape-delay stuff is still a problem.

3. The decreasing importance of the Olympics in our collective minds.  The Olympics used to be huge.  Mainly because you get to see sports on the television for days straight.  Now that has all changed and for many the Olympics are on the outside.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »

I would say that Bolt certainly has been cheered, celebrated and appreciated by Olympic watchers here in America. But he is the exception, and I agree with the point you have suggested with your questions.

Compared to many countries, we are less jingoistic. But we are jingoistic, and our media is SOOO over the top sometimes that it almost makes me root against US athletes and teams.

As for Olympic spirit ...

It would be difficult to find a more cynical Olympic observer than I am. And yet I thought the U.S. swimmer who very excitedly celebrated getting a bronze medal in the breaststroke last night (Cody Miller) was genuine and kind of cool. A certain presidential candidate would have lambasted him for being a "loser," but Miller set an American record, he gave every ounce of effort he had, he won a medal and he was deservedly thrilled.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 10:17:32 AM »

NBC?

All kidding aside, I think the ratings can be attributed to three things.

1. These games have a black mark on them right now.

2. The way NBC televises them.  They are getting better with more live events, but the tape-delay stuff is still a problem.

3. The decreasing importance of the Olympics in our collective minds.  The Olympics used to be huge.  Mainly because you get to see sports on the television for days straight.  Now that has all changed and for many the Olympics are on the outside.

Comcast...?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 10:23:42 AM »

Found this, not sure if it's related to the NPR story or not.....very interesting

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger?language=en

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »
IMO, the Olympics should be rotated between a handful of sites with a new site every 16 years.

Toyko, LA, Beijing, London, (new city), LA, Toyko, London, etc...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 10:24:23 AM »

I'm assuming those ratings don't include ratings for streaming?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
IMO, the Olympics should be rotated between a handful of sites with a new site every 16 years.

Toyko, LA, Beijing, London, (new city), LA, Toyko, London, etc...

I completely agree. I think you rotate the olympics every four years between 4 sites, siphon off revenues from each of those that fund the building of an olympics in a developing nation every 5th olympics.

I also think you hold the winter Olympics where they have, ya know, winter. Winter cities should be totally different than summer cities, but you would still have the same strategy.

So I would do something like this:
Summer venues: Beijing, Paris, LA, Sydney, Developing location (Africa or SA based probably)..repeat

Winter venues: Calgary, Innsbruck, Lillehammer, Tokyo, Rotating location(US, Russia, one of the Stans, etc.)..repeat

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
Found this, not sure if it's related to the NPR story or not.....very interesting

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger?language=en

I think that was it -- they either played part of the ted talk or had it as a subset of what-ever they discussing.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
It would be difficult to find a more cynical Olympic observer than I am. And yet I thought the U.S. swimmer who very excitedly celebrated getting a bronze medal in the breaststroke last night (Cody Miller) was genuine and kind of cool. A certain presidential candidate would have lambasted him for being a "loser," but Miller set an American record, he gave every ounce of effort he had, he won a medal and he was deservedly thrilled.

I think he was super excited to set an American record.  I was initially kind of puzzled cause he was more excited than Peaty who smashed everyone, but that made more sense when they announced he did that.

As for Ledecky, she's only 19 and has been on a pretty consistent upward trajectory for the last 4 years.  A sudden explosion or change would be eyebrow raising, but much like Peaty from the UK in the breaststroke, nobody has been able to touch her for a few years and she's been consistently raising the bar since a very young age.  Not to mentioning coming out of a historically strong swimming program with little scandal when it comes to doping.

Speaking of swimming and the amateur nature of the Olympics, really interesting articles around on Missy Franklin's "fall".  Basically how the draconian structure of the NCAA makes it really hard to be a college student and not fall off from a peak if you reached that peak at a young age like she did.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »
I completely agree. I think you rotate the olympics every four years between 4 sites, siphon off revenues from each of those that fund the building of an olympics in a developing nation every 5th olympics.

I also think you hold the winter Olympics where they have, ya know, winter. Winter cities should be totally different than summer cities, but you would still have the same strategy.

So I would do something like this:
Summer venues: Beijing, Paris, LA, Sydney, Developing location (Africa or SA based probably)..repeat

Winter venues: Calgary, Innsbruck, Lillehammer, Tokyo, Rotating location(US, Russia, one of the Stans, etc.)..repeat

Not a bad idea. I know I'm getting super nitpicky here but I'd probably go London for the European spot and Tokoyo for the Asia spot. IOC would never do it because $$$$$$ but it would really make things easier on countries.

I remember watching the Sydney games but don't remember the preceding months. (I was like 7) Was there criticism and backlash before those games? That was like the first time it hasn't been in a major European, American or Asian spot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
Not a bad idea. I know I'm getting super nitpicky here but I'd probably go London for the European spot and Tokoyo for the Asia spot. IOC would never do it because $$$$$$ but it would really make things easier on countries.

I remember watching the Sydney games but don't remember the preceding months. (I was like 7) Was there criticism and backlash before those games? That was like the first time it hasn't been in a major European, American or Asian spot.

Beijing was considered the favorite going into the voting, but there was a concerted political effort in the US and in Western Europe to deny them the games based on the Tianaman Square aftermath.  Beijing lead every round until the final one when Sydney won head-to-head.

But there was no criticisms that I recall about Sydney itself.  I don't think it was controversial at all.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »

I don't recall there being a backlash but Sydney is also the world's 63rd largest city with a lot of space to put the games and significant infrastructure to support it. Sydney is comparable to DFW in physical size, density, and population. Sydney is also on the same time zone as Beijing.

I highly doubt there was any backlash to the Sydney games.