collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Oral health update  (Read 2240 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Oral health update
« on: August 05, 2016, 04:18:33 AM »
For any of you brave enough to heed the article in the New York Times- you can chuck your dental floss and save yourself a minute and a half each morning now
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
Re: Oral health update
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »
I floss at least once a day, more if I have stuff from breakfast or lunch stuck between teeth.

I wanted to make you proud!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 11:33:42 AM »
I don't know whether to ridicule them or thank them for promoting job security.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »
I wanna know who da 20% of tooth fairies are who don't recommend sugarless gum for der patients who chew gum are, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »
I floss at least once a day, more if I have stuff from breakfast or lunch stuck between teeth.

I generally start flossing daily about a month or two before my every 6 month check up because I don't want the dentist or hygienist to give me crap about not flossing. Toughen the gums up enough so they don't surrender when the hygienist goes full Russian torture chamber on them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:14:12 PM »
I generally start flossing daily about a month or two before my every 6 month check up because I don't want the dentist or hygienist to give me crap about not flossing. Toughen the gums up enough so they don't surrender when the hygienist goes full Russian torture chamber on them.

eng, sometime you're 'share too much meter' redlines! ;D

Hey, does the rugrat have his first tooth yet?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 01:19:42 PM »
Being married to a now-retired dental hygienist, I save myself plenty of snide comments by flossing regularly.  Well worth the investment.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
I wanna know who da 20% of tooth fairies are who don't recommend sugarless gum for der patients who chew gum are, ai na?

When my son lost his first tooth he was so excited. When my daughter (3 years older) saw him put the tooth under his pillow she shouted, "There is no tooth fairy, mommy is going to put some money under your pillow." He looker her straight in the eye and said, "Mommy can't be the tooth fairy." My daughter asked, "Why?" He said, "Cause mommy can't fly." Got my daughter thinking maybe there is one after all.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 08:23:08 PM »

I am soooo proud of you, I just soiled myseld

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »

Not bad....BUT, once the soft stuff(plaque) hardens in to stalactites and she(assuming she is a she) is using the pick axe and cavitron is throwing sparks, the gigs up.  Take yer medicine.  We're perfessionals ya know

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 11:14:36 PM »
Back in the day an orally-orientated dude didn't need to floss. Beginning in the '90's it became necessary to start buying dental floss.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »
Back in the day an orally-orientated dude didn't need to floss. Beginning in the '90's it became necessary to start buying dental floss.

That's why I'm moving to Montana.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
Never really been one to floss, and never had any cavities or gum problems. I'm sure there's some benefit to flossing but I just never really did it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »
Never really been one to floss, and never had any cavities or gum problems. I'm sure there's some benefit to flossing but I just never really did it.

You have seen an oral health care provider though, 'ey?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »
You have seen an oral health care provider though, 'ey?

Just last week. No dental insurance so you get the full price.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 09:52:53 PM »
eng, sometime you're 'share too much meter' redlines! ;D

Hey, does the rugrat have his first tooth yet?

2 with several more ready to show up and ruin his mood  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 05:31:46 AM »
Just last week. No dental insurance so you get the full price.

You guys make up for the huge $$contractual$$ write down we have to take from the insurance companies, BUT, many of us give a discount to non-insured patients as well.  How many other services or goods do we buy without insurance and have to pay "full price"?  Dental insurances haven't changed their yearly max Bennies in over 30 years

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »
You guys make up for the huge $$contractual$$ write down we have to take from the insurance companies, BUT, many of us give a discount to non-insured patients as well.  How many other services or goods do we buy without insurance and have to pay "full price"?  Dental insurances haven't changed their yearly max Bennies in over 30 years

I always loved that they cover the "usual and customary" fees. Annual max barely covers a root canal.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
For any of you brave enough to heed the article in the New York Times- you can chuck your dental floss and save yourself a minute and a half each morning now
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »
If you're referring to the study(ies) that made the case for flossing, then you're probably right.  Because there was no "study" to debunk the theory of flossing being good... in fact, the only revelation here is that the studies that said flossing is good are complete bunk.

A better way to save thousands of dollars is to simply forego the dentist visit... $400-500 for a bi-annual checkup just to be told to brush and floss, yet rocket's giving away that advice here for free.

And dental insurance is complete garbage... they should call it what it is: dental financing.

Welllllll, don't forget that dental caries(decay) is the most common human malady/illness, what have you.  The mouth is one of the major portals to the innards...well, it should be anyway